6.5 X284 vs 300 ultra

tooele

I am new to the board, but have been lurking in the shadows for quite sometime. Me and a buddy have been gently arguing about some of the pros and cons of each of the above rifles. I argue that properly set-up a 300 ultra can shoot as accurately as a 6.5 at a1000 yds and that the power that it brings to the table when it hits an animal trumps a 6.5 hands down. Neither of us will ever win, but just wondering if anyone had anything to help convince one or the other either way. Obviously in the end it is preference, but would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks
T

Yes , It is prefernce, type of game, shot distance,etc. I mainly hunt elk, that is why my set up packs 1536 #'s @1450 yrds. And yes I want a 6.5 x 284 for deer and speed goats

yeah it could shoot just as good but IMO magnums AKA boomers are just more tempermental and harder to get to shoot right.

I'm familiar well with both cartridges so basing it off of my experience hunting long range for white tail deer I use 900 ft/lbs as my minimum amount of energy for my maximum effective range. A 300 Ultra Mag shooting a 208 A-Max at 3100 fps carries approximately 900 ft/lbs of energy at 1400 yards. A 6.5 - 284 shooting a 140 A-Max carries approximately 900 ft/lbs at 850 yards. I personally won't take a shot at a deer beyond 850 yards with my 6.5 - .284 as my energy at 1000 yards is only 745 ft/lbs. I do use my 6.5 - .284 for woodchucks beyond 1000 yards though but I'm not as concerned with my terminal energy with varmints. From an accuracy stand point both cartridges are very capable of being comparable in accuracy at 1000 yards, but from an energy stand point the 300 Ultra Mag has the 6.5 - .284 beat hands down.

The IBS 5 shot is under 1.4" and it was shot with a .30 wildcat off a shortened 338 lapua case.
If you load the 240 smk in the 300 ultra you have a better ballistic profile than the 6.5. Being able to tickle that trigger is where the little guns shine. Has less to do with the capability of the mechanical aspect and alot more to do with the loose nut behind the trigger.

IF you put a brake on the 300 it would tame it down considerably. I for one have shot 30 cal's most of my life and several years ago I won the I.B.S VA State Championship in Light gun using the 240 SMK. I shot a 4.040 group for a score of 50. Three shots were in 5/8 of an inch in the center of the X. The next day I shot a 5.2" with a 49 score.
I said that to say this, if you can reduce recoil the big gun always wins. I always shot with a tight grip and stiffened body so when the gun recoiled it didn't move.
Last year I shot a 5.5" group at my house using my 6.5x284 with the 140 Bergers
My choice between the 2 is definitely the 30 cal with 240 SMK

They are totally different cartriges and comparing them is like apples and oranges.

They are both great cartriges and the accuracy is equal at there max distance.

The 300 RUM has a large advantage at longer distances but it also has more recoil.

It is like comparing the 300 RUM to the 50 BMG at extreme ranges.

All I can say is If we started shooting at each other at 2000 yards and worked closer
I would want the 300 RUM.

Bigger is truly better at long distance but at medium distance there is not much of
an advantage.

So the argument goes on.

J E CUSTOM

I have shot with both and have studied both pretty well. I will take the 300 RUM any day of the week.

I currently run a 300RUM shooting 200 Grain accubonds at a mild 3050FPS. It is very hard for a 6.5-284 to keep up with that. Actually it can't!!!

If you are shooting small animals than the 6.5 will do fine but if you are shooting bigger animals or want some energy downrange than the 300RUM is the clear choice.

Accuracy should not really matter if you are using top quality components. Either will shoot very well.

My definition of practical and everybody elses definition of practical will be very different. That said, 'paper ballistics' are great. Both calibers offer awesome paper ballistics in their own right. From a practical standpoint (at least my definition of it) they both suck. IMHO paper ballistics and practicality hardly ever go hand in hand. Then again, I normally shoot 1000-3000 rounds in a given year. I would be replacing 1-3 barrels per year with those 'ballistically superior' cartridges.

From a 'match' standpoint, the 6.5x284 is the ticket between the two. From a 1000+ yard big game killing standpoint, the 300RUM is the ticket between the two. At least in my opinion.

Thanks for all the responses. I sure have enjoyed this website over the years, guess i am really on board now.
T

I think JE, JC, Michael and others pretty much summed it up for you. First, there is no comparison between these two cartridges. Between these two, If I was a target shooter I would choose the 6.5-284. For hunting it is hands down the 300 RUM. Both can be equally good at targets there is just no need for using the big 300 RUM to just punch paper. For hunting there is no comparison. The 300 RUM is far and beyond the better hunting rifle. It can do things in a hunting situation far beyond the little 6.5-284. There is really nothing to argue here. There is just no comparison.

They are totally different cartriges and comparing them is like apples and oranges.

They are both great cartriges and the accuracy is equal at there max distance.

The 300 RUM has a large advantage at longer distances but it also has more recoil.

It is like comparing the 300 RUM to the 50 BMG at extreme ranges.

All I can say is If we started shooting at each other at 2000 yards and worked closer
I would want the 300 RUM.

Bigger is truly better at long distance but at medium distance there is not much of
an advantage.

So the argument goes on.

J E CUSTOM

Very well put and I have both. Compete with the 6.5x284 and have a sporter as well. The RUM is an improved type we call the 300 Slowpoke but for hunting at 1K hands down the big boy. For shooting steel or varmints at 1K the 6.5x284 hands down..

All of the rifles mentioned were built by Speedy including the dies and all brass is prepared the same way. VERY tough to beat the energy of the big .30 pills!!!!!

Can't add much to whats been posted. For me, recoil figures into the equation heavily. A cartridge that will launch a 6.5 140gr in the 3000fps neighborhood is very easy to shoot in a 9# or 10# finished rifle for me and a very effective killer. In order to shoot a big 30 and have a similar BC it requires more recoil than I care for. A break solves that, but I'm bad about getting ear protection on when hunting and they require some thought when setting up a spotter due to muzzle blast.

My preference is splitting the difference with a 180gr 7mm at just under 3000fps. My guess is that if you each built the one of your choice, the end result would be a whole bunch of fun from both guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.