6.5 SAUM - Was it a wise choice for Western hunting?

Are you able to place bullets where you want with your 6.5 SAUM? If you are, you're way over thinking the whole process. Bullets have only gotten better, but I don't think if we were stuck with the bullets from 20+ years ago any 6.5mm wouldn't be a bad choice.

I live in CO and my go to cartridge for nearly 30 years has been the .270 Win. It has never let me down as long as I've been able to stear the bullet into the vitals of deer, elk, or pronghorn. I've used the diminutive 6X47 Rem (6-222 RM) on pronghorn as well with great success.

What I've found in my 30+ years of hunting CO and other places is bullets placed into the vitals of big game kill regardless of diameter. If you plan to break shoulders on elk use a tough bullet. If you have a great deer rifle in your safe at home, more than likely you have a decent elk rifle as well.
Hey buddy, thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I am very confident in my abilities as a shooter, however, like many things in life, I can always improve. While many of my rifles are capable of .25-.5 MOA, I am a fan of "practical accuracy." I don't believe that many people on this planet, other than maybe benchrest folks, can stack rounds in a .25-.5 MOA hole EACH AND EVERY time they shoot the rifle. I would rather know that on my very first shot out of a cold bore, where it is going to end up. I also know that in a hunting situation, usually it will be a surprise, with having to improvise a shooting position. With that being said, I practice not only on the bench, but prone, on rocks, against trees... because that is where and when those shots will be taking place. I'm a fan of keeping my mouth shut and listening/researching to those with more experience than I. I would hope that I culd take a shot at less than 200 yards, but I know this will likely not be the case. Which is why I revert back to what i said about shooting long range/ELR... will only help me when shooting closer ranges.

Thanks again for the info!

6.5 placed in the right spot should do you just fine. Proofs are good barrels for your application, mine shoots great with a suppressor- they seem to have a lot of whip and harmonics compared to the rigidity of ss heavy barrels and they will heat up quicker regardless of what they claim. Carbon fiber helps with weight. Usually after 3 shots i am letting it cool down. just my .02

Len, can you help us understand your comment to Figjam?? Sure everyone wants to stay out of ole Len's Dog House. What was so offensive?
Was it the 300 Wby? The 300 rum? Or, maybe, that nasty 270 wsm?? Had a friend that thought 270wsm was repugnant.
Maybe the "-- -- " fill in the blank? I guessed...."self image"? What did others guess?
Did fill in the blank questions on exams in high school offend?
Maybe the "BS"? Blarney Stone...offensive? Not Irish??
Ever meet Ben Stone?? He put his initials on all of his gear. Offensive?
Put down the coffee and chill a second, Pardner. Humor in most everything in life. :) :) :)

Pro2A

Before op edited, it said.

These dudes are just trying to compensate for a small pecker.

And BS

I think your 6.5 was a wise choice you will be just fine with western hunting with that.
I have had a couple Sherman's built the best one being a 6.5 Sherman. I only used 140VLD in it no issues Alberta Bull Moose 405 yards tipped in his tracks. With all the quality bullets out there you can't go wrong. Once I'm tired of this 338Sherman Short I'll have a 6.5 Sherman Max spun up and go back to my 140s.
I built my 300 Win mag in 1969 My choice was based on the advice of Guides and men who had killed Elk Moose in their opinion at 400 yards 7mm mags and others ran out of gas beyond that range for pure knock-Down power Now bullets have evolved into guided missiles and powder is not leftover WWII artillery powder having said that there are couple thing to think about an Elk dies hard where a Moose you can kill with a 22 I've seen range cows shot with 06 in the head get up and run off so what is your comfort range to kill an animal, not brag how far away you hit the Animal! Second, a lot of new light wait ultra Mags, are no fun to shoot you need to be hunting with a rifle you're comfortable with even if its a 300 Savage!

I may differ from those above, and there will always be debate on how small is too small, but I prefer a 7mm or larger caliber for elk. 6.5 is great for deer and smaller. A 223 is all you need if your shot placement is perfect, but in the field with multiple variables one can guarantee that you hit the heart every time. Especially those shooting out past 500. I watched my kids shoot 2 cow elk this past year with a 6.5 Creedmoor in the 300-400 yard range. Both required follow up shots and both would have been dead with one shot using a 30 caliber heavy bullet. Both elk were hit a bit far forward and impacted the front leg or shoulder. Neither had the mass/penetration/energy to reach the broiler room. The first elk required multiple additional hits and was still alive the next day, finally being killed with a 270. The second elk was shot by my 11 year old daughter and a well placed second shot in the spine resulted in a quick death. That being said, that bulled was found in the spine, without penetrating completely through. If you are sure you won't hit bone you will do fine with any gun, but elk are not forgiving if you hit bone. Totally up to you, but it's rare for people to play when something goes wrong, but everyone wants to brag about that 1200 yard 1 shot kill. Good luck with whatever you ultimately choose.

Part of the fun in hunting is getting in close, such as elk, pronghorn and deer. Do that first, and don't worry about 6.5 bullets.
I've killed elk with muzzleloaders shooting a sabot/240 gr 44 cal pistol bullet at 1500 fps max, some with 470 gr. Cast bullets. Others with an '06 and a 7mm mag. You'll have no problems. Just have fun planning and executing the stalk and get in a reasonable distance. Just because we can send one at long range, doesn't mean we have to. It's thrilling to plan a stalk and put it into play. Especially on speed goats!

I know you will get disagreement from some but I have killed a ton of game with 6.5's in 6.5/06 A.I., 6.5 Sherman, and 6.
5 Sherman Shortmag. This includes a lot of elk and a Shiras moose at 906 yards.
Use the bullet for the job and choose your shots and the saum will work just fine.
And or course a 338 something is more forgiving................!
Anybody remember the Winchester 264. Big game rifle

I watched my kids shoot 2 cow elk this past year with a 6.5 Creedmoor in the 300-400 yard range. Both required follow up shots and both would have been dead with one shot using a 30 caliber heavy bullet. Both elk were hit a bit far forward and impacted the front leg or shoulder. Neither had the mass/penetration/energy to reach the broiler room.

Bullet diameter has little to do with the bullets ability to reach the vitals or break through a shoulder. At 300-400 yards a 6.5 creedmoor or 260 rem has plenty of velocity and energy to reach the vitals if you use the right bullets. Based on your argument, a 140gr out of a 7mm08 or a 308 would have been more effective - that is just not true. You didn't use the right bullets for the shot you guys took.

I have taken several with a 115gr bullet in a 25-06 out to 500 yards and never had any issues with penetration.

OP - This is the dilemma many of us face - Especially if we have extra coins in our pocket. Once a gun is in hand we second guess. And usually for no good reason.
Not at all the case! I second guess everyone one I buy.... Just so I can buy another one! If that were the case everyone would only have 3 guns...a .22, a 12 gauge, and only one caliber of rifle......geeeez....where is the fun in that?

image.jpeg

I might 'rain on the parade' or at least hang a dark cloud over the 6.5. The bull pictured was taken last year with a 6.5 SAUM 140 grain Berger VLDH at 367 yards. It took two perfectly placed shots to put him down, however if Mayhem would have raised its head I may not have been so lucky.

This formed my opinion that the round may be a bit light for large bodied animals. That bull was standing still feeding and when hit absorbed those hits like it was no more than a slap...dead yes, but not an impressive bang flop.

Based on that experience, I am rebarreling the rifle to 300 WSM since that makes the most sense to me because of the short action and will push 190 or 200 grain pills.

View attachment 141730

I might 'rain on the parade' or at least hang a dark cloud over the 6.5. The bull pictured was taken last year with a 6.5 SAUM 140 grain Berger VLDH at 367 yards. It took two perfectly placed shots to put him down, however if Mayhem would have raised its head I may not have been so lucky.

This formed my opinion that the round may be a bit light for large bodied animals. That bull was standing still feeding and when hit absorbed those hits like it was no more than a slap...dead yes, but not an impressive bang flop.

Based on that experience, I am rebarreling the rifle to 300 WSM since that makes the most sense to me because of the short action and will push 190 or 200 grain pills.
Well, the proof is in the pudding. Thanks for sharing. If I decide to change to a larger bore I can always swap to a 7 SAUM or 7mm/300 WSM.

Part of the fun in hunting is getting in close, such as elk, pronghorn and deer. Do that first, and don't worry about 6.5 bullets.
I've killed elk with muzzleloaders shooting a sabot/240 gr 44 cal pistol bullet at 1500 fps max, some with 470 gr. Cast bullets. Others with an '06 and a 7mm mag. You'll have no problems. Just have fun planning and executing the stalk and get in a reasonable distance. Just because we can send one at long range, doesn't mean we have to. It's thrilling to plan a stalk and put it into play. Especially on speed goats!
Amen to that Brother.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.