Long range hunting rifle choice

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up buying the Remington pss 700 I got a deal I just couldn't pass up. I will be sending it to gunwerks to get the vortex scope installed and dialed in using thier Berger vld 190 grain handloads. Is there anyone else that offers this service or is gunwerks the way to go. Oh and I will be slowly working on the Winchester using all ur advice

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up buying the Remington pss 700 I got a deal I just couldn't pass up. I will be sending it to gunwerks to get the vortex scope installed and dialed in using thier Berger vld 190 grain handloads. Is there anyone else that offers this service or is gunwerks the way to go. Oh and I will be slowly working on the Winchester using all ur advice

I believe "Best of the West" offers this service as well with the Huskemaw Scope. I have three of these scopes, they are also excellent scopes for long rang shooting.

What other size groups do they shoot?

I find it hard to believe they're all half MOA.

I'm not sure I understand your question. All I can tell you is that the two Model 70,s I have, a 30-06 and a 270 wsm both produce .5 moa with handloads. Selected factory loads seem to run .75- 1 moa. Agreed, I don't think you can assume any factory rifle from any manufacturer will all produce the same level of accuracy, I would however, check the rifle out before sticking a new barrel on it. I will say that a couple of my buddies have gotten results comparable to mine out of their Model 70's .

I'm not sure I understand your question. All I can tell you is that the two Model 70,s I have, a 30-06 and a 270 wsm both produce .5 moa with handloads.
No rifle and ammo combination shoots the same size groups all the time. I asked what other size groups the half MOA one shoots. Therefore, the .5 MOA group you claim is either the largest, smallest or average group size. I just asked which one it was. The largest group a rifle and ammo combination shoots is what one can count on 95% of the time. Smallest group is what it shoots the least often. And the average group size is what's shot about half the time.

No rifle and ammo combination shoots the same size groups all the time. I asked what other size groups the half MOA one shoots. Therefore, the .5 MOA group you claim is either the largest, smallest or average group size. I just asked which one it was. The largest group a rifle and ammo combination shoots is what one can count on 95% of the time. Smallest group is what it shoots the least often. And the average group size is what's shot about half the time.

.5 moa or less with my handload and no hangover.

Hmm, Sounds like maybe Bart has some adequacy issues. Bart, while I have seen a great deal of very good information from you, You are an elitest, you think everything absolutely must be custom or otherwise what to many of us would be extremely expensive or it cannot POSSIBLY perform on par with what your extremely expensive gear does, I am kind of calling you out on here because I have seen attempts like this one in this thread where you tried make greyfox and others look foolish or to make yourself look like you somehow just know more than everyone else. I have several factory rifles that will shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards with specific loads and they do not deviate from that. If your 3-5,000 dollar rifles will not do that my first recommendation is a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter. With my 130gr. VLD load its largest group has been .45" (measured outside of black/grey ring around the hole in the paper to outside minus bullet diameter.) and the smallest I could not measure. .5 to .6 at 200 yards. so Greyfox claim is not at all unheard of. If you have a consistent load Every rifle should shoot it near the same each time as the differences would be in the shooter and his reloading practices. What does that say about you as a shooter and loader. Bottom line anyway is Calm down, you have a lot to offer the site and members here but you really aren't all that much, and trying to make others look bad only serves to make you look like an a-hole. Len/mods/whoever wants, if I am out of line here just ban me if you want. If you look back through Bart's posts this has been a pattern of his. At least I have the guts to come right out and say in public what I really mean, rather than to question a guy I don't know in a manner to suggest he is a liar. And I am not trying to pick any argument, I just saw a few other posts very similar. It makes people not want to come to this site, and it is why I regularly leave for long periods. Not just Bart, several members. NOT the majority though. Some people on here are very petty and get really indignant when anyone has had better experience than they have with a gun or product. I would bet that most of these did not learn to reload before they had a custom rifle or found a cartridge they wanted for which they could not buy factory. Therefore they have little experience with the accuracy potential of a factory rifle.

Hmm, Sounds like maybe Bart has some adequacy issues. Bart, while I have seen a great deal of very good information from you, You are an elitest, you think everything absolutely must be custom or otherwise what to many of us would be extremely expensive or it cannot POSSIBLY perform on par with what your extremely expensive gear does, I am kind of calling you out on here because I have seen attempts like this one in this thread where you tried make greyfox and others look foolish or to make yourself look like you somehow just know more than everyone else.
First off, I don't have any adequacy issues.

Second, my gear's at the lower end of the price/cost range for accurate rifles and ammo. Shame on you for making assumptions without knowing the facts. My gear's cost per rifle is way less than half as much as what most folks spend for super accurate long range stuff.

Third, far too many posts on any shooting forum thread about accuracy are misleading. All I wanted to know was the realities of that half MOA group. If that makes me an elitist, then paste that label on me. When the glue dries, it'll be easier to pull of without creating a mess.

Fourth, I just read the guy's comments about that half MOA group issue. Now I'll go address his comment.

Last edited:
.5 moa or less with my handload and no hangover.
That's often the level Win. 70's produce. So your group size comment was the largest fired. That's good because that's what you can count on virtually all the time.

just tho through this out there i purchased a Savage modle 111 long range hunter in 300 win mag this march. this gun is deffinatly built for what savage named it after a long range hunting rifle. this gun is a little on the heavy side with a nightforce 5-22-56 and haris bipod comes in at 12 lbs but accuracy is ecceptional on a bench this gun can produce 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo!!! with my reloads 1/4 inch with a bit of load work @ 100 yards. i have been verry impressed with this gun and i dont think im a good enough shoot to max the rifles accuracy & it only costs around $800 just thought id through that idea out there

gun)

just tho through this out there i purchased a Savage modle 111 long range hunter in 300 win mag this march. this gun is deffinatly built for what savage named it after a long range hunting rifle. this gun is a little on the heavy side with a nightforce 5-22-56 and haris bipod comes in at 12 lbs but accuracy is ecceptional on a bench this gun can produce 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo!!! with my reloads 1/4 inch with a bit of load work @ 100 yards. i have been verry impressed with this gun and i dont think im a good enough shoot to max the rifles accuracy & it only costs around $800 just thought id through that idea out there

gun)
Same experience with my 6.5-284 111LRH and I am the same. I can not hold better than .5-.6 at 200 yards. and my bench setup isn't the best.

Bart, I won't apologize or back up from anything I said and I have no feeling of shame. That conclusion was drawn from what I have seen in other threads as well as this one. Your wording made it appear as though you thought he was being less than honest.
That said, I also respect a great deal of what you say. I have no doubt about your knowledge. I don't know what you shoot but from your comments I would believe it was exactly what I described.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts