6.5 SAUM - Was it a wise choice for Western hunting?

I was considering a 6.5 PRC for the same until I saw several elk shot, very accurately with one. None of the elk seemed very impressed. It did kill them, but only after multiple shots (3-5) to put them down. Yes, it will do the job, but certainly not as decisively as I would like.

I had a custom 6.5 SAUM built by a very well known smith in MO. Firstly, rifle is incredible... he did a great job. It's a Bighorn Arms Origin action, Proof Research 26' Sendero threaded barrel, Wyatt's 300 WSM DBM, Triggertech Special Trigger, and Stocky's Carbon Fiber Long Range v2 stock. Using a Zeiss v6 Conquest 3-18x50 scope. Overall very lightweight and shoots great.

My debate now is that when I first had decided on this build, I did a bunch of research and waited about a year before pulling the trigger. I felt that since I do a lot of long range shooting, that accuracy always trumps caliber. With this being said, I decided that a 6.5 variant was a great choice for hunting my whitetails here in Missouri, but if I wanted to go out West (which I plan to next year for Antelope), my rifle would be great for any game up to Elk/Moose.

I know that what bullet you choose really makes the difference, especially when it comes to overall distance of the kill. However, my overall question is would I have been safer going with a 7mm or 308 caliber variant? I'm all about ethical kills, so even though I can, have, and will shoot over a mile... doesn't mean I will with an animal an front of me. For most shots 500 yards and in, with a good shot, am I safe for Moose/Elk? Or, should I step up to a long action like 7mm/300 mag or 280 AI, etc?

Luckily, with that action I can always have a prefit spun up in a different magnum caliber, like 7 SAUM to push 180's (in SA of course)

Thanks!
Darin

Yes, I think 6.5 RSAUM would work, I've only shot a couple of my friends 6.5 RSAUM's it is an accurate cartridge for sure, I have hunted with a Rem Mod-700 BDL in 6.5 Remington Magnum and it was an amazing rifle and cartridge combo, which I've said many times that Remington making a mistake by not bringing it out in the Mod-700 again, it is the balletically twin too the 6.5 RSAUM As for 6.5 cal for Moose, well the Swedes have been tipping them over for years with 6.5x55mm... so, I'm sure "Elk" is takable... Here's the trick, like any other caliber "bullet placement", do that right and you can pretty much use whatever caliber you want at a reasonable range. "Accuracy" in your statement; "accuracy always trumps caliber" has merit, but good hunting ethic & reasonable ranges are the keys to killing game at any range. As Dirty Harry said; "Man has got to know his limitations" Good luck.

Last edited:
Your Origin action has the feature of interchangeable bolt heads, so you could go to a non-magnum case. However, in my next to the last build, I chose to go 6.5 PRC, which is close to the SAUM, retains the magnum bolt face and shoots like crazy. That's my 600 yard big game rifle now. Accuracy + a good bullet trump a flinch-inducing howitzer

Definitely too small! I'd be willing to buy that rifle off of you (deeply discounted of course) so you have some money to get a start on a 30 cal magnum build like you need! :) Just kidding of course, 6.5 SAUM is just fine, in fact I'm considering building one myself for an elk rifle, I'd have zero reservations about killing elk, moose etc with it. I have killed several elk and my experience plus just observations of those I've hunted with is that 26cal is plenty big. I would not hesitate to use a 6.5 creedmoor let alone a 6.5 SAUM, I'd even use a 6CM. I know people who have used 243s on elk and moose successfully (gasp), granted they were 2-300 yard shots. You make a great point about bullet selection, but it's also worthwhile to look at downrange energy. On your ballistics table look at energy and see where you get below 1500ft-lbs, if you want a really conservative number, 1200 ft-lbs some say is plenty for elk and I'd agree, I'm guessing 1k yards on your SAUM? That said shot placement is the biggest limit for you, so if you have confidence in your placement, a bullet that will expand and penetrate and enough energy to do both, you can kill elk which takes you well beyond the 500 you mentioned with that SAUM. When I'm hunting I'm much more concerned with shot placement than my rifle's capabilities. If the wind's ripping my range limit is much lower than if it's dead calm. That is a much bigger concern in my mind than my cartridge size.

FIGJAM

Watch your language.

WARNING
Len, can you help us understand your comment to Figjam?? Sure everyone wants to stay out of ole Len's Dog House. What was so offensive?
Was it the 300 Wby? The 300 rum? Or, maybe, that nasty 270 wsm?? Had a friend that thought 270wsm was repugnant.
Maybe the "-- -- " fill in the blank? I guessed...."self image"? What did others guess?
Did fill in the blank questions on exams in high school offend?
Maybe the "BS"? Blarney Stone...offensive? Not Irish??
Ever meet Ben Stone?? He put his initials on all of his gear. Offensive?
Put down the coffee and chill a second, Pardner. Humor in most everything in life. :) :) :)

I have said it before and will say again. When it comes to elk shoot as much gun as you can, but you have to shoot accurately! If you have a flinch with your trusty Model 70 in 30-06 that only allows to keep your shots in twelve inches at a hundred, maybe you should go to a lesser recoiling rifle. Do you need to shoot a 416 to ethically harvest elk, probably not. On the other hand if you have it and can shoot it accurately, use it. If you really want to get down to a low recoil rifle, go for a 22 lr. You know it has probably killed a lot more elk than all of the 6.5 whatevers combined.
Everyone has a story and an opinion. I started hunting elk with a 30-06. One year during a combined deer/elk hunt I was caught hunting deer and only had my 25-06. The cow elk came out an aspen clump and I took the shot. She went down in her tracks like a discarded sack of potatoes. I have over the years use the above mentioned cartridges and have also used 300 WM, 300 RUM and currently use a custom 338 Edge. I wish I could say one or the other hit like the proverbial hammer of Thor. Can't say that. What I can say is that I have a certain degree of confidence with my 338 Edge that I don't get with any of my other rifles.
Although I not a "target" shooter, I am moderately obsessed with accuracy. I am on this forum to take advantage of INCREDIBLE amount of knowledge, information and experience that is available on this sight.
I am personally tired of the 6.5 mania. Anything that can be done with a 6.5 anything has already been done by another cartridge of some diameter somewhere and probably in a more efficient and ethical manner.
I do not want to offend the OP. I think that for what your original intent was, deer, your 6.5 will be just fine. Will it kill elk? Sure. Is it THE elk gun? Are you kidding?! Just read the rest of the posts or the bazillion other posts on just this forum over the years and you will get a nosebleed and head trauma just reading the latest posts.
Last of my OPINION. Why on this forum is cartridge/caliber related to, at risk of being sexist, our manliness? Those comments are what you expect on a liberal anti-hunting website. I guess if we are all to be considered men, we need to start hunting elephants with a 22lr and our elk with a dull knife on the end of a stick.

I had a custom 6.5 SAUM built by a very well known smith in MO. Firstly, rifle is incredible... he did a great job. It's a Bighorn Arms Origin action, Proof Research 26' Sendero threaded barrel, Wyatt's 300 WSM DBM, Triggertech Special Trigger, and Stocky's Carbon Fiber Long Range v2 stock. Using a Zeiss v6 Conquest 3-18x50 scope. Overall very lightweight and shoots great.

My debate now is that when I first had decided on this build, I did a bunch of research and waited about a year before pulling the trigger. I felt that since I do a lot of long range shooting, that accuracy always trumps caliber. With this being said, I decided that a 6.5 variant was a great choice for hunting my whitetails here in Missouri, but if I wanted to go out West (which I plan to next year for Antelope), my rifle would be great for any game up to Elk/Moose.

I know that what bullet you choose really makes the difference, especially when it comes to overall distance of the kill. However, my overall question is would I have been safer going with a 7mm or 308 caliber variant? I'm all about ethical kills, so even though I can, have, and will shoot over a mile... doesn't mean I will with an animal an front of me. For most shots 500 yards and in, with a good shot, am I safe for Moose/Elk? Or, should I step up to a long action like 7mm/300 mag or 280 AI, etc?

Luckily, with that action I can always have a prefit spun up in a different magnum caliber, like 7 SAUM to push 180's (in SA of course)

Thanks!
Darin
I had a 7SAUM and a .264 Win Mag. I did a lot of comparisons with ballistic charts and a lot of different bullets. I almost converted the 7SAUM into a 6.5 SAUM, that is my idea of the ideal mountain rifle. The 6.5 SAUM is a very potent elk cartridge up to 800 yards and will hang in there with any 7mm or 300 Mag (Energy at yardage) because of the good BC bullets available, like 143gr ELDX. You did the right thing.

Thanks!
Darin
I personally wouldn't set out with a 6.5 to hunt Moose or Elk. Yet that being said....if one walked out infront of me while I was hunting Deer with my 6.5......I would take the Head shot!

Are you able to place bullets where you want with your 6.5 SAUM? If you are, you're way over thinking the whole process. Bullets have only gotten better, but I don't think if we were stuck with the bullets from 20+ years ago any 6.5mm wouldn't be a bad choice.

I live in CO and my go to cartridge for nearly 30 years has been the .270 Win. It has never let me down as long as I've been able to steer the bullet into the vitals of deer, elk, or pronghorn. I've used the diminutive 6X47 Rem (6-222 RM) on pronghorn as well with great success.

What I've found in my 30+ years of hunting CO and other places is bullets placed into the vitals of big game kill regardless of diameter. If you plan to break shoulders on elk use a tough bullet. If you have a great deer rifle in your safe at home, more than likely you have a decent elk rifle as well.

Last edited:
I can't speak for moose however you should be fine with that rifle. I've harvested numerous elk, mule deer, and antelope with a 308 most my younger life. I have recently stepped up to a 300 wsm but have only used it on 1 black bear, and 1 NM oryx and 1 mule deer with devastating results. I primarily bow hunt now but my young nephew uses a 6.5 creedmoor 130 grain accubond hand loads with great results on cow elk. He hasn't been fortunate to draw a bull tag yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.