6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284

A half inch ball bearing or small ball pin hammer under the primer pocket and a caliber sized punch from above.

Give it a good tap, check measurements and repeat.
What do you suppose is making the primer pockets to become loose? maybe a fancy tool that "cleans" primer hole is wallering those holes out? I am using my sonic cleaner and NEVER touch a primer hole and I have never had loose holes!
Except for that one time in Pittsburgh 🙊🤮

What do you suppose is making the primer pockets to become loose? maybe a fancy tool that "cleans" primer hole is wallering those holes out? I am using my sonic cleaner and NEVER touch a primer hole and I have never had loose holes!
Except for that one time in Pittsburgh 🙊🤮
Pressure, it happens with most of them eventually, more frequently the hotter the loads you run.

Some brass is also just softer than others and doesn't handle pressure as well.

A lot of the competition guys are going to small primer brass vs large primer because they seem to hold up better but that's not a choice available for all cartridges.

The Hogdon data is absolutely understated to the reflect short action, Non-Norma spec charge weights. There no material difference between the two.
I know this is a very old thread…. But it's always the craze! Looking / listening/ reading. 6.5 x284 was THE GUN to build. 7 yrs ago. It rocks… premium brass retumbo= go fast! Flattened deer with ease. Then came the short action shemans… walk over the prc like tyson. Now it's this and then that. We have split so many hairs… 2950, 3050/ 3150. 8 twist ….now 7.5 twist… recoil /powder. **** we're back to 264 win mag. Short action/ long? 150 class bullets yikes where to end up?the great debate I guess.

Ok I want to hear what your thoughts are on the pro's and cons either cartridge, I have 2 custom 6.5-284 build and one 6.5 PRC, have hand loaded more for the 6.5-284, I am a novice handloader at best but really enjoy the 6.5-284 as it has more factory load options and Lapua Brass as an example, but seems I can get 100-150 fps more out of the 6.5PRC

Please I don't want to hear about how you hate Hornady's marketing mumbo jumbo, just experience on the two cartridges ?

likes and dislikes pros and cons, any particular loads that really shine for your rifle ?

Thanks in advance
WF
Its funny to hear some say the 6.5-284 is a throat eater and then say the 6.5 prc is the best thing since sliced bread…..😏

point being they are both good rounds. Both in the same class of performance for similar sized game. Rebated rim on the 284 needs a bit of attention to make sure feeding is reliable but not generally an issue. I really do like the 6.5-284. Been very underwhelmed by the performance of the prc. Would rather go with a 6.5 wsm personally but if handloading is not an option, the prc has more merit.

again, both good rounds in the same performance class in my opinion. Used properly, great barrel life as well. Right now 284 certainly has better brass. You should try the peterson 6.5-284 brass. All i use now and used to use lapua exclusively, not any more. Good to have a quality USA made option for brass.