6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284

I've had several 284 based cases including 6.5x284. Currently have both 6.5x284 and 6.5 PRC in almost identical long action rifles with Benchmarks barrels 26". The PRC is about 100fps faster with my loads and has been a dream to load! Brass has been good! If building another it will be a PRC!

I've heard the 6.5 PRC has been pretty easy to load for. If I didn't have so much 6.5-284 brass, I'd probably switch over to the PRC.
I'm betting the new 300 PRC is going to be pretty easy to load for, too.

I do not think you can go wrong with ether one as others noted. IMHO, the real advantage of the 6.5 PRC on top of its innovative and collaborative design is the off shelf ammo support from Hornady.
Yep, part of what makes it a little cheaper to shoot in the longrun.

Hornady and Ruger are putting a lot into the PRC and they are going to make sure it's fully supported in every way.

Fully supported with junk brass
Horse hockey. It ain't Lapua but if you don't run max loads you can easily ghet 4-5 loadings. Even if you start getting loose primers it takes about 30 seconds or less to tighten up.

Further as time goes on and the round gets more and more popular you'll see everyone making bras for it.

Horse hockey. It ain't Lapua but if you don't run max loads you can easily ghet 4-5 loadings. Even if you start getting loose primers it takes about 30 seconds or less to tighten up.

Further as time goes on and the round gets more and more popular you'll see everyone making bras for it.

Bertram Brass should have 6.5 PRC Brass for sale in the next month as they are testing it as we speak.

Last edited:
Gotta say, am just not seeing the Hornady brass as inferior so far in the PRC. A few hundred rounds thru the Havac starting with 2 boxes of factory ammo then load development with additional new cases. So far, cases 7times fired appear still good to go. Maybe in the past there were problems with some batches of brass (as many other mfgrs experienced as well) and that's where it was labeled poorly; haven't experienced that so far from the PRC.

Its also half the price as premium brands. so lets say with half the life of premium brass, the cost per round is the same. how far do you want to push the brass before recycling it? if I can get 9 or 10 uses im good. Then cases that are still good are resized and go into the 'Armageddon box' for a single use IF things ever go sideways and law and order disintegrates where its every man for himself.

I really like the cartridge design; long bullets dont need to be crammed into the powder charge area of the cartridge to fit in the chamber of the rifle; you can get a proper powder charge without over compressing.
Anyway, that's my view from this corner that i wanted to share.

Flooding the market with rifles to get an instant source of people to by brass and ammo.

I'm not following you. Ruger doesn't chamber a rifle in 6.5 PRC and other than using the RCM as a parent case had next to nothing to do with the development of the PRC.

Even if you start getting loose primers it takes about 30 seconds or less to tighten up.

Hey WildRose, what do you do to tighten up your primer pockets??

Even if you start getting loose primers it takes about 30 seconds or less to tighten up.

Hey WildRose, what do you do to tighten up your primer pockets??
A half inch ball bearing or small ball pin hammer under the primer pocket and a caliber sized punch from above.

Give it a good tap, check measurements and repeat.