6.5 prc vs 6.5 GAP

DJ Fergus

Let me start off by saying, I don't need another rifle to fill a nich or for any purpose other than putting another rifle together just for fun. I already have 9 bolt rifles to hunt most any thing on the North American Continent.

Considering I reload and don't need to buy factory ammo and I already have two 6.5 creedmoors with one that pushes a 147 eld @ 2940fps, why would I choose the 6.5 prc over the 6.5 GAP? I would plan on running rl26 but have retumbo and other powders available.
From what I gather, the GAP would be similar to 264 win mag velocity in a short action. The PRC would put me in the neighborhood of 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 velocity and would fit in a short action.
Not really concerned about barrel life as I have plenty of other guns to shoot if I get bored.

You have the answer. GAP. and it will do more than what you can today w the creedmoor with a much shorter barrel and give you a light recoiling and handier rifle
SnT

6.5 GAP 4S (SAUM)
Another option....6.5SS.
I have shot several 6.5 SAUM. They are a ballistic twin to the 6.5SS. But the SS is way sexier. I own two of them.

It might be better compared if you know which bullet you want to run. 140 bergers I like the GAP with .121 free bore. 130 bergers I like the GAP with the ,08? freebore. There is another reamer out now with more free bore for the 150 class berger bullets. I hear that the PRC is designed more around the Hornadys. I just got in a GAP Barreled action from SS Rifles in Colorado if your interested in taking it off my hands give me a PM, I already have 2 GAPS in the safe. I ordered this one and bought one while waiting for it.

Originally GAP preferred the .081 but more recently recommends using .120 for the VLDs. I'd go with that personally. I started out using 143 ELD-X and now I'm using the Berger 156 EOL bullets. 8 twist.

I would probably want to run the 147 eld since I already have a reserve of them. Would the 4s .120 fb work well with those?

I would probably want to run the 147 eld since I already have a reserve of them.
Depends on use of the rifle of course. This is strictly a hunting rifle for me. Not sayin an ELD-M can't kill game but it's technically a match bullet. Those 147's are nasty. I run them on a 18.5" 6.5 creed on my AXMC LA

Yeah, I agree they do fine on deer at creedmoor speeds but 3200 plus muzzle velocity would probably be to much for them inside of 700-800 yds. I didn't consider that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.