6.5x284 vs. 6.5 PRC

I wouldn't think so. With the 156, I know Jeff Brozovich was getting like 3000 fps or so with N565, and many people I have seen on here are getting 2950-3020 out of a 6.5x284 with the same 156 and RL26. seems like both are nearly identical performance. Stick with what ya got, the 6.5x284 is about the best non wildcat 6.5 that is not terribly overbore. The 6.5 PRC just does it in a short to mid length action.
I easily reached 3000 fps with the 156 EOL and H1000 as well. Now I need to preface this with the fact I have a medium action and a long throat allowing me to set the bullet out such that the base is near the neck shoulder junction. This gives my rifle a little more room pressure wise so I can run 58.2gr with zero pressure signs. I've shot up to 58.4gr and had no pressure signs but stopped as I reached +3000 fps.

I think the advantage of the 6.5PRC over the 6.5x284 is the availability of factory ammo(and potentially factory rifles). An experienced hand-loader will not be able to distinguish a difference from a ballistic/performance, accuracy, barrel/case life, feeding, etc. standpoint. Most differences noted between the two cartridges will likely be due to the specific barrel/rifle which can occur with either cartridge. Case capacity between the two is identical. Originally touted as a short action round, which would have had strong appeal to many, the 6.5 PRC requires greater action length(or magazine/feeding modifications) to extract full use of the case capacity with +140gr bullets, diminishing any advantage to the long action typically used with the 6.5x284. The softer aspects of case design, so called "inherent accuracy", popularity, glamour, etc. between the two cartridges will likely be debated forever. IMO.
I agree The PRC will do nothing the 284 will not do but like you said the availability of factory ammo is the only advantage I can see

What Raider1 said.
I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and if that cartridge was not available I'd have found a similar 3 lug bolt rifle that was chambered in 6.5 /284 Norma.

Both have nearly identical trajectories and velocities.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I shoot both and it's true, the x284 will match the PRC, but only with the long action. The PRC has pushed the 6.5x284 off the top of the hill for me. I am strictly hunting with mine so Hornady brass has been fine. It may be a few years, but LAPUA will come around. Till then I'll keep on not noticing.

I shoot both and it's true, the x284 will match the PRC, but only with the long action. The PRC has pushed the 6.5x284 off the top of the hill for me. I am strictly hunting with mine so Hornady brass has been fine. It may be a few years, but LAPUA will come around. Till then I'll keep on not noticing.
The Hornady brass has been great for me. My rifle is turning in .3-.4 MOA with the 156 EOL at 3000 fps.

I'll use up my Hornady brass until Alpha brings out their 6.5 PRC brass. They told me it was "on the list" of upcoming brass. I'd give them 18 months or so but I'm sure we'll see it.

Eric B.

Last edited:
6.5x284 is always gonna be cool especially sporting lapua brass.
6.5 prc is kinda becoming the new 6.5 needsmore. Except it has the more. I still have to have one. But I might keep it my dirty secret.
Or just do a 6.5 GAP and then you get slightly more capacity.

Thanks guys I think after reading all your comments I'm going to stick with my 6.5x284 Norma I have always used lapua brass and I love that gun it was the first custom gun build that I had built before I got into Gunsmithing it is truly awesome. I took this gun to a URSA shoot and it performed very good at 2080yards with 147ELD-m. I am glad a have a place like this to go ask question when I don't know the answer.

Never act like you know it all because there is always someone out there that knows more then you!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.