6.5x284 vs. 6.5 PRC

Sgt. grizz

Hey guys I don't know a lot about the 6.5prc but I do have a custom 6.5x284 1/8 twist that I built on a LA which gave me the ability to throat the chamber about 1/4 inch and run my bullet out farther, now I can run more powder and get faster speeds out of my 147gn bullet. Since I already have a 6.5x284 is there any advantage going to a 6.5prc?

I wouldn't think so. With the 156, I know Jeff Brozovich was getting like 3000 fps or so with N565, and many people I have seen on here are getting 2950-3020 out of a 6.5x284 with the same 156 and RL26. seems like both are nearly identical performance. Stick with what ya got, the 6.5x284 is about the best non wildcat 6.5 that is not terribly overbore. The 6.5 PRC just does it in a short to mid length action.

Hey guys I don't know a lot about the 6.5prc but I do have a custom 6.5x284 1/8 twist that I built on a LA which gave me the ability to throat the chamber about 1/4 inch and run my bullet out farther, now I can run more powder and get faster speeds out of my 147gn bullet. Since I already have a 6.5x284 is there any advantage going to a 6.5prc?

I think the advantage of the 6.5PRC over the 6.5x284 is the availability of factory ammo(and potentially factory rifles). An experienced hand-loader will not be able to distinguish a difference from a ballistic/performance, accuracy, barrel/case life, feeding, etc. standpoint. Most differences noted between the two cartridges will likely be due to the specific barrel/rifle which can occur with either cartridge. Case capacity between the two is identical. Originally touted as a short action round, which would have had strong appeal to many, the 6.5 PRC requires greater action length(or magazine/feeding modifications) to extract full use of the case capacity with +140gr bullets, diminishing any advantage to the long action typically used with the 6.5x284. The softer aspects of case design, so called "inherent accuracy", popularity, glamour, etc. between the two cartridges will likely be debated forever. IMO.

Last edited:
Same thing. My 6.5-06 which is basically the same as the 6.5-284 was shot beside my friends 6.5prc. We both happen to hit max at same powder charge with same bullet. My gun has an 1" longer barrel and was if I remember right 30fps faster than the PRC. All the same. Only advantage to Prc is factory rifles and ammo

ADG brass is very close to Lapua so that reason is losing ground.

The simple answer for the reloader is NO. They have near identical case capacities with the advantage going to the PRC in the brass I have. It will not be enough to notice and I certainly would not switch from a proven rifle.

If you have a standard bolt face in hand, 6.5x284. If you have a magnum bolt face, PRC. I've also ready non-rebated rims (PRC) feed better from BDL style setups, so that may be a factor depending on your build. Factory ammo goes to PRC also. If you reload and feeding from a detachable mag, seems like a wash. Powder choice and barrel length would impact speed more at that point.

The only reason I'd go with one over the other is if I was going to build a switch barrel gun and already had an existing action. The boltface and action size would determine which round I went with. I've always been a fan of a .294 neck 6.5x284 though.

I suspect that the real advantage of both the 6.5PRC and 6.5/284 is the ability to find or tool up rifles in 8" twist easily. Otherwise both cartridges are pretty much clones of the 270 in capacity and hunting application 0-500 yards. (For further, even the 270 has specialized high BC bullets.) The 270 might get 50 fps out of its .013"wider mouth. Maybe. And the individual rifle will determine whatever inherent velocity or accuracy the rifle has.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.