6.5 creedmoor vs PRC

Before I'd go to a PRC I'd fully see what ur Creed is capable of. In a lot of rifles I'm not sure the difference is that big.
My 26" CM pushes a 147 at 2880 with great accuracy and a 127 LRX at 2990 with great accuracy. It can go faster and I'm sure with a couple other powders I could get more speed with same grouping its just not needed. I've messed with the 143 a bunch in my first CM and judging by the comparisons between the 2 I ought get the 140 to close to 3000 in this one, Xbolt HC LR.
I've seen quite a few 6.5-284 and 6.5PRC loads posted that aren't much better.
Personally I'd rather two different cartridges as mentioned, 7mm? or at least two vastly different guns, short n handy vs longer n heavier.
I currently have a 6.5CM and a 6.5-300wby, velocity difference with 127LRX is 400 fps but recoil difference is HUGE! Haha I can easily spot my hits with the creed and hardly at all with weatherby.
The weatherby has a thinner barrel and is handier to handle which is why I bought it.
If i had to do it from scratch I'd go 6.5PRC or 264WM and just have the 1.
Take that for what it's worth lol.

When I was getting into building rifles last year, I was going to build a 6.5CM via the "remage", but then the PRC came out, and I kept an eye on it. I finally bit the bullet to have a 6.5PRC made by WTO with a switchlug to make it a switch barrel rifle with a bighorn origin. Won't look back on this cartridge at all.

I made the longest DRT kill in November during rifle season at 450yrds with the factory 143 eldx bullets with the prc, I caught a view through the scope of the doe flipping end over end backwards when the rifle settled.....coolest freaking thing I ever seen rifle hunting!!!! This doe was a good, big, healthy deer for my part of the country and the bullet exited even, shot it right through the FL shoulder and exited mid rib cage. Shoulder was junk but it did a great job, I'd like to try the eldm on some deer but haven't had a chance. 6.5PRC all the way, it has the nads to do long range work but also has a very mild recoil without a muzzle brake, it's a win win in my book!

Just to be clear, just because a 7mm and .308 bullet weighs more DOES NOT any way mean it will perform better. Not sure if those are generalizations or some of you guys actually believe that crap is true. It takes a blend of velocity and BC to sort out the advantages/disadvantages of any cartridge and bullet choice. In order for a 7mm or .308 to perform at the same level, overall, you will be in a much heavier recoiling rifle and consume a heck of a lot more powder. Clearly that is fine, just need to understand that its not apples to apples if you go from 55-60 grain ammo to 80-90.

Also to be clear, the PRC and creed are vastly differently in performance. Owning both I am seeing 300-400 fps difference depending on how hard you push them. I know some creed guys claim ridiculous speeds but I am comparing similar barrel lengths at near max charges in mine. They are not even remotely on the same level. I still like my creeds and prefer to shoot them but for hunting applications were every advantage is desired I pack my 6.5 PRC.

Correct, the energy equation uses the square of the velocity not the square of the mass.

Is there a recoil chart or reference somewhere to compare the 6.5 PRC recoil to that of the 7mm RM? Obviously a factor of felt recoil is the weight of the rifle, but I was curious to get an apples-to-apples comparison.
With equal rifles the 6.5 PRC will have a noticeably lower felt recoil.

There are some recoil calculators on line you can plug numbers into to get an idea.

Last edited:
I swore I would never buy a 6.5 Creedmoor and get on that bandwagon. Still not anywhere approaching a "supporter". I agree that the 6.5 PRC is a better match for the 6.5 bore (at least heavies). I have a 6 Creedmoor BLR takedown I'm building. And a 6.5 PRC in a chassis. That said...

I've shot quite a few 6.5 Creedmoor rifles and every one has been extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot. They just work. I borrowed a Christensen 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mouflon hunt recently and my opinion on the round has changed. I now own a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered Kimber 84m o_O

With a 120-130gr and the right powder/load it will best the 6mm pretty much across the board. Very light and easy to carry, pleasant to shoot even in a really light rifle. Not an Elk rifle IMO but for anything up to that, perfect.

Just about any cartridge with a decent bullet will effectively kill inside of 350. That is just slightly beyond what most people in long range hunting consider point blank range. The 6.5 creed with a 140 class bullet is very effective. My neighbor has killed 7 elk with his from 150-500 yards. We have killed several good bulls out to 500 with our clients. All 1 and done shots. The creed is not a magical cartridge, it is the same as the 260, 6.5x47, and 6.5x55 swede. Just know the limits and understand the terminal ballistics.
When you say "clients", I assume you are a guide. You are the first guide (assumption) I have heard that is comfortable with the cm as an elk rifle. Times must be changing

I've owned the PRC ballistic twin, 6.5-284 Norma, for some time now. Love this cartridge. Very accurate and plenty of down range energy. Used it in a long range shooting class and it performed flawlessly out to 1070 yards. Great performance on hogs and white tails. A NM outfitter that I e hunted with a lot uses this cartridge for mule deer and told me they have taken many bull elk with it and 140 gr bullets. Now, I never thought I'd own a Creed. But, when my .243 needed a new barrel, my gunsmith suggested I make it a 6.5 Creedmoor. I agreed, thinking it would be a good plinking gun and something the kids could shoot. Well, I've been thoroughly impressed with it. But the most surprising thing was the velocity I was able to achieve with RL26 and the 143 gr ELDX. I got it over 3000 fps but my accuracy node is at 2940 fps. That's only 55 fps less than my 6.5-284 Norma gets with Retumbo. I attribute that velocity to RL26, but it still amazes me that I achieved these speeds. I'm actually considering selling my Norma now. The Creed is relatively cheap to shoot. Although the factory ammo is much slower than my handloads, it still shoots it very well. It's not finicky. Plus, you can find Creed ammo on the shelf in any town in America (same with 308, 30-06 and 7 Rem Mag) if you need it in a pinch.

How many grains of rl26? When I see fps numbers like this I frankly question the load. Granted my CM is a 20" barrel but with 42.2gr of H100v, which is a pretty fast powder for the creed, I am getting just over 2700 with a 130gr. In a 26 inch barrel that gets to just over 2800 with a lighter bullet

I had a 6.5 PRC chambered Montana X3 here I brought in for someone that's was a really sweet rifle. The Montana short action is a bit longer and would allow some room for that cartridge.

In my quiver I'm stepping up to a 7mm for that next bigger rifle. Hopefully Hornady will announce the 7 PRC at SHOT. If not I may have to make my own.

Something like this:
7mm PRC (1).gif

How many grains of rl26? When I see fps numbers like this I frankly question the load. Granted my CM is a 20" barrel but with 42.2gr of H100v, which is a pretty fast powder for the creed, I am getting just over 2700 with a 130gr. In a 26 inch barrel that gets to just over 2800 with a lighter bullet

They list 3150 here:
https://www.hornady.com/support/load-data/
Screenshot_20200103-084414_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200103-083457_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

I run 46 to 46.5 in mine (6.5 CReed)in Lapua SRP and Peterson SRP and push the 140 Berger at about 2910-2925 FPS. Ive run it higher with no pressure signs also but I don't want to push it more than where I am now. There are numerous discussions on this sight about RL26 and it being the "fairy dust" in some of the 6.5 rounds. I saw a thread here and will look for it where it was safe to run up to 48.5 I believe. All were being run with SMall Rifle Primer brass. It was run through one of the pressure calculators and the data showed as safe.

Here is a good thread on RL26 and the 6.5 Creed. "Quick load" data included.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/rl26-and-6-5-creedmoor.192716/

Last edited:
In my mind if all you are doing is targets the creed is great. But for hunting I like speed. Hornady says R26 will get a 143 to 3150. Amazing for so small a case as the prc. Some 264 Winchesters have a hard time going that fast with us869. Loaded with 140 partitions or Woodleigh I would not be afraid at all to use it on elk or moose.

Sorry, this is what I remember stating the 3150, having troubles posting on my phone.

Last edited: