6.5 prc vs 6.5 GAP

I used a copper solid with my 6.5 GAP 4S, it was a great round for several deer, antelope, and also used it on one elk cow.

The 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4s is about 50fps faster than the 6.5 PRC from everything I've seen and heard. The PRC, like it's little brother Creedmoor, is here to stay and it's popularity and support is growing. The SAUM is up and down in both popularity and support over the years. With Hornady supporting and pushing the PRC and rifle manufacturers chambering more and more guns in it, it's going to be here for the long haul. The SAUMs are popular now, but a couple years ago it was hard to find brass for them. I don't think that will be a problem for the PRC in the coming years. Just my opinion.

Creedmoor is here to stay for sure. I think that the creedmoor rage is so strong & has been hyped to the extent that the common fellow thinks he's got so much of everything there is to offer in the creedmoor that he doesn't need to step up to anything else in 6.5 caliber. The common fellow already thinks he has 300 win mag performance from the creedmoor so the 6.5 prc or gap would probably mean 50 bmg performance to him and he really doesn't need that much. But most of us here have a much more reasonable idea of those cartridges. I think any other cartridge in 6.5 other than the creedmoor will be like comparing a 270WSM to a 270 win. The 270 WSM had it's fame & still has some left but it probably will never reach the sales that the 270 win did. Saying all of that, it doesn't matter either way that much to me cause if I built a 6.5 prc or gap I would procure enough components to last for the life of the barrel.

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying, I don't need another rifle to fill a nich or for any purpose other than putting another rifle together just for fun. I already have 9 bolt rifles to hunt most any thing on the North American Continent.

Considering I reload and don't need to buy factory ammo and I already have two 6.5 creedmoors with one that pushes a 147 eld @ 2940fps, why would I choose the 6.5 prc over the 6.5 GAP? I would plan on running rl26 but have retumbo and other powders available.
From what I gather, the GAP would be similar to 264 win mag velocity in a short action. The PRC would put me in the neighborhood of 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 velocity and would fit in a short action.
Not really concerned about barrel life as I have plenty of other guns to shoot if I get bored.
In my opinion, the best thing about a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creed is that it can be re-chambered and boltfaced cheap in to .264 Win Mag.

You have the answer. GAP. and it will do more than what you can today w the creedmoor with a much shorter barrel and give you a light recoiling and handier rifle
SnT
So many defects to fix... First, the shorter the BBL the more the recoil, unless it is a heavier contour with more weight. Second, shorter BBLs have much more Muzzle Blast! Military snipers use suppressors on their long barreled rifle to prevent the muzzle blast from bouncing around inside their sinus cavities and giving them all sorts of problems. I do not know what the 6.5GAP is nor do I care. If it isn't a factory load that I can buy cheap at Walmart, dratts, I forgot they no longer carry guns or ammo, so I can't afford to shop their any more! If I can't find it at the Farm & Fleet cheep, I do not need them.
I used to hand load all sorts of calibers from .221 Fireball because it was nearly impossible to get ammo at the Rod and Gun Club in Asmara, to 6.5/.300 Weatherby, and .300/.378 Weatherby because they were wildcats, to the .300 RUM because factory ammo is just way to expensive, to .45ACP because I wanted to maintain my Skill Level acquired at Government expense!

having both the saum and prc I would pick the prc. It gives up a tiny bit of velocity to the saum, 50-100 at most. The case capacity and design is very similar but the saum has about 1 grain more depending on how far you seat the bullet.

On my prc to mag length I am seating 140-156 bullets to the shoulder neck junction and into the body. The 140-147 eld's all share very similar profiles so the depth is about the same. A 140 vld is about perfect at the junction.

In the end they are not that far off in performance and it boils down to components, desire to get absolutely every last ounce of fps, and if you like messing with brass. I chose the prc for my new build based on what I think marketing is going to do, support the cartridge is going to do, and the fact I can get prechamber barrels for savage and bighorn in the prc easily.

If you are not filling a niche, and you are just looking to mess around with the girl next door, build a WSM. They are high performance, sexy, and can be frustrating as hell when your trying to figure out what makes her happy. Oh, and they are not match winners, but the 140 grain Nosler Partition will achieve great hunting accuracy to great distance, and never fail at any distance.

If you are not filling a niche, and you are just looking to mess around with the girl next door, build a WSM. They are high performance, sexy, and can be frustrating as hell when your trying to figure out what makes her happy. Oh, and they are not match winners, but the 140 grain Nosler Partition will achieve great hunting accuracy to great distance, and never fail at any distance.
I have had two 270 wsm rifles and found everything you said to be true about them.

Let me start off by saying, I don't need another rifle to fill a nich or for any purpose other than putting another rifle together just for fun. I already have 9 bolt rifles to hunt most any thing on the North American Continent.

Considering I reload and don't need to buy factory ammo and I already have two 6.5 creedmoors with one that pushes a 147 eld @ 2940fps, why would I choose the 6.5 prc over the 6.5 GAP? I would plan on running rl26 but have retumbo and other powders available.
From what I gather, the GAP would be similar to 264 win mag velocity in a short action. The PRC would put me in the neighborhood of 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 velocity and would fit in a short action.
Not really concerned about barrel life as I have plenty of other guns to shoot if I get bored.
2,940 F/S sounds like .264 WM velocity? Have you done an actual pressure test to know what pressure is in the gun, or are you just guessing? Looking for "pressure signs" is notoriously in-accurate! Using a computer program, or some other loading data? I am almost certainly out of date as to the most current powder and loading data, but that sounds awfully fast for such a small case and heavy bullet/caliber? ( SD= Sectional Density)

Last edited:
2,940 F/S sounds like .264 WM velocity? Have you done an actual pressure test to know what pressure is in the gun, or are you just guessing? Looking for "pressure signs" is notoriously in-accurate! Using a computer program, or some other loading data? I am almost certainly out of date as to the most current powder and loading data, but that sounds awfully fast for such a small case and heavy bullet/caliber? ( SD= Sectional Density)

I have seen several run high numbers with mixed results. Most are running ultra long barrels and destroying brass in a few firings. I am running a 140 at 2800 in a 20" barrel. It's a hot load I use late fall and winter for wolf. If you take that number to a 28" barrel it is close to 3000. Back off 70 for the 147 and you're at 2930. It's doable but overcharged.

I would without a doubt go 6.5 Gap. The 6.5prc has some potential issues in a short action with magazine and load lengths. I'm not aware of any such issues with the Gap.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.