6.5 creedmoor vs PRC

b-dog

been in the market for a new hunting rifle. I already own a 6.5 creedmoor but I like the looks on paper the PRC. anyone hunt or shoot both? how much better at long range and even shorter range does it perform?

6.5 creedmoor: 52-53 gr case capacity
6.5 SLR: 55-56 gr
6.5 PRC: 66-67 gr
6.5 SAUM: 70-71 gr

The PRC has 25% more capacity than a creedmoor, and 5-6% less than a SAUM. In quickload, holding pressure constant at 57k psi in a 26" barrel with 140 hybrids, a 6.5 SAUM (H1000) is about 30-40 fps faster than a 6.5 PRC (H1000), and the PRC is 220 fps faster than a 6.5 creedmoor (H4350).

The Creedmoor for fun, competition and hunting.
The PRC for fun, competition and hunting.

I bought a 26" barreled Savage 12FV 6.5CM for $299. Had a Savage 11 I plan to rebarrel and was debating 6.5PRC or something else. Planned to to that early 2010 but now no hurry at all.

The Howa 6.5 CM took 3 deer this year from 50 yds to 296 yds with 143 eld x all DRT

The 2 Browning 6.5 PRC's a HCS the other Long Range Pro.
1 at 312 yds shot a little far back but still DRT
The other at 408 Yds first pic looking back at the old barn where I shot from
2nd pic exit wound took 4 steps then right over. Again 143 ELD X Really Like that Bullet
The PRC Just Shoots Flatter with More energy and at longer ranges and for Elk. I Really like The PRC.

Attachments

• Buck 3.jpg
    Buck 3.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 516
  • Buck 4.jpg
    Buck 4.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 634
No doubt the prc for hunting. I've killed a few mule deer with the 6.5 cm and it performed very good with the 143 eldx but the prc will push those bullets to a much better hunting velocity imo. I like to be over 2900 fps with hunting loads. That way I can zero at 200 and be able to shoot to 400 with not too much holdover and also it's much more forgiving with the wind. I did shoot one buck at 630 with the cm and it performed good but again a couple hundred fps more is not a bad thing.

I have a creedmoor and it shoots great and am currently working on a prc just for more power with the low recoil. I'm at 2707 with 140 Berger and hoping to be at 3000 or more with 26" prc. With Terminator break should be a fun shooting gun.

I just ordered a shouldered prefit for a Tikka in 6.5 prc. Will be my truck gun. I have 2 6.5 saums as well, but after I built my 25 saum shooting 131 ace bullets, they're probably going to get sold. The prc offers nice boost in performance over the creed, 10gr more powder capacity makes a big difference. If factory ammo shoots well in mine, I may not even handloads for it.

The thing about the Creedmoor is that it will do most jobs very satisfactorily with very low recoil and, of interest to handloaders, a modicum of powder. It is a much better choice for subsonic loads as well.

The PRC can add about 200fps to what the CM can do. For most purposes, that is a big yawn - the shooter burns more powder, gets more recoil and the same end result. Shooters using factory ammo also get far fewer choices - Midwayusa lists 69 CR ammo options but only 3 for the PRC. There is also a very significant price difference - midwayusa lists CM ammo starting at $12.99 vs PRC ammo starting at $39.99.

Not knocking the PRC and am still considering re-barreling a barrelless Savage 111 action with a match grade, sporter-weight PRC barrel. Will be shooting my 26" CM for the first time later today.

To me it is much like my .257 Roberts versus most of my other rifles - the Roberts gets most jobs done efficiently but for elk I prefer something more, starting with my .280 Rem and 7mm RM.

Neither one is always the best choice - the 'best' depends on the needs/wants/goals/means of the shooter.

Not only look at the flatter shooting capability of the PRC but, this transposed into far higher terminal ballistics which makes it a good elk round with fairly low recoil. I have shot the PRC and the 6.5x.284 side by side. My preference is the 6.5x.284 because I feel comfortable shooting deer or elk without any hesitation on terminal performance issues. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great shooting gun and I managed to take an elk this year at long yardage due to having perfect shooting conditions to do so but I would have been far more comfortable taking the shot with the 6.5x.284.
If recoil is an issue then the PRC should be your choice.