6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

And A LONGER LASTING BARREL after you have to replace the first barrel because it wont cut the mustard.
What really happened to the Demise of the 264 Win Mag was the 7mm Remington Magnum. And you never see a 264 Win Mag competing any any of the Long Range Competitions. Why is that if its only 100 FPS Slower.
I didnt get all the information out of Hornadys..I also read it in John Snow and David Emerys OUTDOOR LIFE, Phil Massaros Rifle Shooter Magazine, Jordan Sillars Meat Eater..Even famous writer Ron Spoomer places the 6.5 PRC over the 264 Win Mag. Id say he knows more about than either you or me.I admitt that the 264 is just one click behind the New 6.5 PRC..But George Gardner knew there was a hole top fill by making filling it with the 6.5 PRC.
I aint got anything against the 264 Win Mag.Not even the Outdated Belted Magnum case...since Im own one myself in the 7mm Rem Mag..That cartridge is really why the 264 win mag fell down in popularity.The 7mm Rem Mag just out did it in every genre. Both the 264 Win Mag and the 7mm Rem Mag kick too **** hard to really enjoy target shooting for myself.
I didn't realize we'd morphed into the latest fads for competition in a discussion about hunting rifles.

When the .264wm came out barrel metalurgy was inferior to that we have today, the throats were cut shot, the twists were too slow and within the first year it earned the "barrel burner" label. The debut of the 7mmRM simply sealed it's fate.

We're talking about a comparison of the WM and PRC though, not a comparison of either to the 7mm RM.

Today if you're running hot loads in either the PRC or WM you're not going to have great barrel life.

Ballistically they are twins and in that race newer and cooler is going to win out not because of any real superiority but simply due to the fantastic marketing job Hornady and Ruger did in rolling it out.

We saw the same exact thing when they rolled out the Needmore and the .260 Rem which had been the newest and coolest up to that point was quickly all but forgotten.

What would you expect horny to to publish?

Since I currently own a 264 I feel a little more qualified to speak on it than someone who doesn't own one and he's reading biased articles and information from a source that makes a competing cartridge.

All of the things you mentioned may have allegedly been true when the 264 WinMag was introduced. Publish load data for the 264 Win mag is weak, weak sauce at best. I'm currently running 156 burgers at just under 3200 ft./s. I could push 140 class bullets at 3300.

All things being equal I can't see any way a PRC would be faster than a 264 WinMag in any bullet weight.

now Ive been reading up since my last piost.And every thing I read about the 264 Win Mag is Short Barrel life..Excessive Recoild..Factory Rifles have both excessive throat erosion and a low twist Hamstrings the 264 Win Mag.... So to just put it plain..You have to buy another barrel to put on your 264 Win Mag to be able to shoot heavy bullets..
When compared equally with 143 gr Hornady bullets the 6.5 PRC beats the 264 Win Mag by 100 FPS..I got this straight out of Hornadys Reloading Book.
The other literature all pretty much said the 264 was..and I quote..HAMSTRUNG by the short Throat and slow Twist rate.And Being Barrel Burner.
They all also went on to say the reason the 264 Win Mag pretty much died was because of the 7mm Rem Mag bested it in every category and it just laid the 264 to Rest.
Now with better machines and technology the 264 Win mag and longer Throated barrels and faster twists it starting to mag a small come back by the Die Hards.
the 264 Win Mag comes close if you put a custom barrel on a factory rifle.But still NO CIGAR..
shooting a 143 Grain Hornady ELD-X the 264 Win Mag hit 3050 fps and the 6.5 PRC 3150 shooting exact same Hornady 143 DELD-X..Numbers Dont Lie as said before..Thats all I have to say on the subject.Enjoyed the debate Wild Rose
Funny! My 264 runs the 156 @ 3100MV on the fast node and my PRC runs it @ 2950 before pressure. The PRC is 2" shorter but not going to make up that much MV. Both on VV powder. N570 vs N560 respectively.

Barrels are consumables I don't care what cartridge you are talking about when your pushing them hard they all are going to get used up! I'm not in competition, I'm going to be buying a barrel anyway. Now if I put the same twist, the same free bore as a prc there's no way the prc is going to keep up, more powder more speed, physics don't lie!

Barrels are consumables I don't care what cartridge you are talking about when your pushing them hard they all are going to get used up! I'm not in competition, I'm going to be buying a barrel anyway. Now if I put the same twist, the same free bore as a prc there's no way the prc is going to keep up, more powder more speed, physics don't lie!
Agreed! There is no need to complicate it unnecessarily.

What would you expect horny to to publish?

Since I currently own a 264 I feel a little more qualified to speak on it than someone who doesn't own one and he's reading biased articles and information from a source that makes a competing cartridge.

All of the things you mentioned may have allegedly been true when the 264 WinMag was introduced. Publish load data for the 264 Win mag is weak, weak sauce at best. I'm currently running 156 burgers at just under 3200 ft./s. I could push 140 class bullets at 3300.

All things being equal I can't see any way a PRC would be faster than a 264 WinMag in any bullet weight.
No, you do not own a .264, you own a bad arse .264 WMI.

Last edited:
And A LONGER LASTING BARREL after you have to replace the first barrel because it wont cut the mustard.
What really happened to the Demise of the 264 Win Mag was the 7mm Remington Magnum. And you never see a 264 Win Mag competing any any of the Long Range Competitions. Why is that if its only 100 FPS Slower.
I didnt get all the information out of Hornadys..I also read it in John Snow and David Emerys OUTDOOR LIFE, Phil Massaros Rifle Shooter Magazine, Jordan Sillars Meat Eater..Even famous writer Ron Spoomer places the 6.5 PRC over the 264 Win Mag. Id say he knows more about than either you or me.I admitt that the 264 is just one click behind the New 6.5 PRC..But George Gardner knew there was a hole top fill by making filling it with the 6.5 PRC.
I aint got anything against the 264 Win Mag.Not even the Outdated Belted Magnum case...since Im own one myself in the 7mm Rem Mag..That cartridge is really why the 264 win mag fell down in popularity.The 7mm Rem Mag just out did it in every genre. Both the 264 Win Mag and the 7mm Rem Mag kick too **** hard to really enjoy target shooting for myself.

I toasted the first barrel on my 6.5 PRC at 1100 rounds though it started with fliers at around 900 rounds. I was in the middle of load development and didn't realize that was the cause until the load I had settled on went from 3/4" to 4". The only other guy I know with a 6.5 PRC replaced his barrel at 800 rounds.

Mike from Texas did you have the reamer made or is this an existing wildcat? Do you have the dimensions? What angle is the shoulder? Starting to really like this it may do what I want without as much trouble.

Mike from Texas did you have the reamer made or is this an existing wildcat? Do you have the dimensions? What angle is the shoulder? Starting to really like this it may do what I want without as much trouble.
I designed the cartridge and the reamer. Shoulder angle is 40° and case taper is very minimal. On PPU brass, it gained 7.1 grains of water capacity. Dave Manson has the reamer print on file if you are interested.

One thing I didn't account for is having to buy custom dies. Once the taper was blown out the cases will no longer go all the way in a standard 264 WM die.

Lesson learned.

Lol oh I figured new dies will be in order. When you get to shooting it with the fire formed cases I would really appreciate more information on it. Looks promising thanks.