6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

We've had a couple of members here do that over the years 6.5-300wm.

I just like the .375 Ruger case better and it has both more capacity and a more efficient burn.

The 6.5LRM will shoot 140's at 3,400fps with cloverleaf accuracy. I expect going back to the parent case will add at least 100-200fps with the same fairly conservative loads pressure wise.

I can't remember offhand what velocities the 6.5-300wm was getting but I believe it was around 3250fps shooting 140's with no pressure signs at all.
I've been intrigued with the 6.5 LRM concept for a while. Already have a 7 LRM so got the brass... Mind sharing some load info? You can PM me if you'd rather not spoil this thread.

I've been intrigued with the 6.5 LRM concept for a while. Already have a 7 LRM so got the brass... Mind sharing some load info? You can PM me if you'd rather not spoil this thread.
I'd be happy to. Shoot me a PM, everything I have is packed for moving right now but setting up the reloading/gun room is one of my ealriest priorities and I'll dig it up for you.

Mostly what I did was look for 7LRM data for similar weight bullets and work up from there.

123's mono's run about 3550 in my bbl and 140gr Nosler ABLR's were punching clover leafs at 3400 with an ES of 12.

To get away from the GW proprietary brass and pick up 3-4gr more capacity the next one will be a straight neckdown of the .375 to 6.5 with probably a 35 deg shoulder.

I designed the cartridge and the reamer. Shoulder angle is 40° and case taper is very minimal. On PPU brass, it gained 7.1 grains of water capacity. Dave Manson has the reamer print on file if you are interested.

One thing I didn't account for is having to buy custom dies. Once the taper was blown out the cases will no longer go all the way in a standard 264 WM die.

Lesson learned.
Who made your custom dies? Warner ?

I'd be interested in seeing that article. My 264 WMI is throated for the 156 EOL and it shoots those fantastically. I was planning to shoot the 150ABLR as a better constructed bullet. I have not loaded any up so I'd like to see the article before I do. My reamer was set up to seat 156 EOL @ 3.550 with .194 freebore.
Looking at 156 EOL with 3.565 throat allowing 3.545 coal with .020" jump

He's another vote for the Weatherby 6.5 RPM. A tack driver with little felt recoil or muzzle blast that is only bested in velocity by the fire breathing (barrel burning) 6.5-300 WBY and 26 Nosler.

The ^.5 PRC is the new Technology.. The old Belted 264 Win Mag is Old.. I would not want to fool with a belted cartridge. Much less a Magnum Cartridge. .The 264 Win Mag was good in its day.. But our ammo and barrels have come a Long ways .I would doubt if a person could buy a 264 Win Mag off the shelf and even come close to the 6.5 PRC .
1st thing the 264 would need to bere4tapped to accept a longer bullet to compete. Then the Belted case..Mo
There are alot of people who love it..Just like the 7mm Rem Mag..KIts also a belted Magnum. .Its slipping away though..I own a 7mm Rem Mag.When I bought my 1st in the mid 1977's because it was the biggest,
Whether its Fad, Form or Function or just Performance.. If a person wants to see what out shoots what.. Check out the list of top shooters in ELR.. and who is shooting which cartridge. The 6.5 PRC will be in the top 10..I dont remember seeing the 264 Win Mag even making the list anywhere. I could be wrong but I just read it about 10 days ago.
Final thoughts..it todays world we breed Faster Horses,Build Faster Cars and better guns and faster and better ammo with better BC's and better Powder..So its really not that hard of choice.. IMO ..Numbers dont lie.
Well we also build faster MORONS too.

You mean seated out like this? And improved too? And even set up to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt?View attachment 339255View attachment 339256

Oh those horrible belts. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand the hate for the belt. Yeah I guess the fat belt less cartridges look sexier but I'm not sure they shoot any better.

View attachment 339257
**** that is an awesome 264 mag!!!! Perfect concept in the improve case. They don't even know why a belt is there in the 1st place. I've been shooting belted mags for decades.

Not long ago I finished a 32" 7.5t 264wm to run 150smk's (not only, but just incase). I went with the longer barrel instead of 26n or 6.5-300. Adding speed with length was my way to go. On another note, I'm debating on the prc to fill the void between 6.5creed/260rem and 264wm. Easier to find cases for it than 6.5wsm, 6.5saum and 6.5rm. With a pre64 I've been shooting 140Sbt without issues, but haven't tried any target/match bullets that are heavier.

Food for thought: Weatherby's 6.5 RPM best both cartridges and does so on a .473 bolt face with a 24" barrel making for a slender, handy rifle.
I believe you're thinking of the Weatherby 6.5/300 The 6.5 RPM does has more case capacity than the 6.5 PRC so it should be faster all things considered...

Last edited:
The PRC has a H2O capacity of 72g, the 264WM has a H2O case capacity of 83g.
This tells me, with the correct twist of 8" or faster, the 264WM will win the race with heavy projectiles.
With a 9" twist the 264WM is limited to about 142g bullets….so the PRC wins with heavy for calibre bullets only in the fact that it comes standard with a faster twist, but it is not faster than the 264WM if both have the same twist.
My own 264WM has a 8" twist in a 29" barrel. It will punish any PRC even with a longer barrel due to my throat dimensions.

Cheers.
Is that 72gr H20 w. Hornady brass?
My Lapua brass is 68.2gr H20 capacity. ADG is 67.8gr.
Peterson would likely be even less.