6.5 PRC Reloading Question

Jdr9941

Has anyone ever loaded a 6.5 PRC with a 85gr bullet? If so pros and cons of such? Is this too light a bullet? I've heard a few that did some 85 Sierra but now discontinued. I have a box of 85gr .264 from Hammer in MT.

Not familiar with loading that light but I would say depending on your twist rate would be the factor to look at. 1-8 twist might be too fast maybe.

Last edited:
Depending on the bullet construction and the twist rate, you might be just fine with Hammer Solids. The drawback I see though is the seated OAL of this short bullet and the length of the throat in your barrel. The jump could be significant unless the chamber reamer was designed for this bullet.

It might be worth a call to the folks at Hammer and ask this question of them. Know your chamber dimensions first before calling.

Last edited:
Depending on the bullet construction and the twist rate, you might be just fine with Hammer Solids. The drawback I see though is the seated OAL of this short bullet and the length of the throat in your barrel. The jump could be significant unless the chamber reamer was designed for this bullet.

It might be worth a call to the folks at Hammer and ask this question of them. Know your chamber dimensions first before calling.
[/QUOTE If your trying too hit 4000 fps the 85 gr might get there ,I would bet on it .The hammer bullets are not sensitive too jump ,load them too the first or second drive band and have fun . Personally I would choose at least the 109 gr absolute and load it too 3700plus fps if you like light for cal bullets . Go too the hammer hunter and the absolute hammer hunter loading site on the LRH forum you might find some data there , that may interest you.

In an effort to straighten out his post I have copied and pasted it in a reply:

From Hard rock:

If your trying too hit 4000 fps the 85 gr might get there ,I would bet on it .The hammer bullets are not sensitive too jump ,load them too the first or second drive band and have fun . Personally I would choose at least the 109 gr absolute and load it too 3700plus fps if you like light for cal bullets . Go too the hammer hunter and the absolute hammer hunter loading site on the LRH forum you might find some data there , that may interest you.

Recent Posts