6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

Wachsmann

I looked over the numbers and it hard to compare since the 264 did not have the same twist rate as the PRC. But my question is with the short fat PRC case does it burn powder more efficiently than the longer 264 case and is the same velocities obtainable or will one out do the other when using the heaviest bullets? It seems when the RUM was compared to the 300PRC it was able to out preform the PRC with the 250's pretty easy. I wonder if this will be the same on the 264win. I already own a new unfired 264win in a 26 inch Sendero 2. It matches my RUM. Just haven't scoped it yet but it only has a 1:9 twist barrel which is the big limiter. I will probably shoot out this barrel but for future reference it left me wondering. I'm also looking at this from a good consistent load practice of one that is not over pressure and on the ragged edge pushing the cartridge for all I can get.

I looked over the numbers and it hard to compare since the 264 did not have the same twist rate as the PRC. But my question is with the short fat PRC case does it burn powder more efficiently than the longer 264 case and is the same velocities obtainable or will one out do the other when using the heaviest bullets? It seems when the RUM was compared to the 300PRC it was able to out preform the PRC with the 250's pretty easy. I wonder if this will be the same on the 264win. I already own a new unfired 264win in a 26 inch Sendero 2. It matches my RUM. Just haven't scoped it yet but it only has a 1:9 twist barrel which is the big limiter. I will probably shoot out this barrel but for future reference it left me wondering. I'm also looking at this from a good consistent load practice of one that is not over pressure and on the ragged edge pushing the cartridge for all I can get.
I don't have any experience with the PRC but I recently built a 264WM Improved. I haven't shot it with the improved cases yet but my fireform loads run 3172 with 156 EOLs in a 28" barrel and it shot fireform loads @ .099 MOA.

I anticipate to run close to 3250 with the improved case.

The PRC has a H2O capacity of 72g, the 264WM has a H2O case capacity of 83g.
This tells me, with the correct twist of 8" or faster, the 264WM will win the race with heavy projectiles.
With a 9" twist the 264WM is limited to about 142g bullets….so the PRC wins with heavy for calibre bullets only in the fact that it comes standard with a faster twist, but it is not faster than the 264WM if both have the same twist.
My own 264WM has a 8" twist in a 29" barrel. It will punish any PRC even with a longer barrel due to my throat dimensions.

Cheers.

SAAMI spec to SAAMI spec in factory rifles the PRC is probably the better choice. Especially if you aren't into reloading. The classic 9 twist of the 264win really is the limiting factor. Not that there are not excellent 130g bullets on the market capable to extended ranges. If you are building a rifle the 264win easily gets the nod. To be able to use the superior 155g and heavier bullets a 7.5 or even a 7 twist barrel is required. Some run an 8 twist, but that's splitting hairs. A 26" 7-1/2" twist barrel on a 264win chambered rifle will safely yield 3,075 to 3,100 fps with several different canister powders and a 155g-160g bullet. Can you push that further? Absolutely, but brass will suffer loose primers by the third reloading.

Well that's good to know. I'm tooled up on the 264 right now and have 100 pieces of new brass ready for reloading some day and a box of 140VLD's. But after the barrel is toasted I'll probably get a 1:7.5 or 1:7. I know with my love of just banging steal always trying to stretch shots out longer and longer if the component are there I'll probably run through this barrel in probably 3 to 4 years "if" I can get components (brass, powder, bullets.)

SAAMI spec to SAAMI spec in factory rifles the PRC is probably the better choice. Especially if you aren't into reloading. The classic 9 twist of the 264win really is the limiting factor. Not that there are not excellent 130g bullets on the market capable to extended ranges. If you are building a rifle the 264win easily gets the nod. To be able to use the superior 155g and heavier bullets a 7.5 or even a 7 twist barrel is required. Some run an 8 twist, but that's splitting hairs. A 26" 7-1/2" twist barrel on a 264win chambered rifle will safely yield 3,075 to 3,100 fps with several different canister powders and a 155g-160g bullet. Can you push that further? Absolutely, but brass will suffer loose primers by the third reloading.
Why do think a 264WM with a 9" twist is limited to 130g bullets?
I have a few 264WM with 9" twists and all 3 factory rifles shoot a 142g ABLR just fine.
I also have a switch barrel I use for F-Class and a custom hunting rifle switch barrel both running 8" twist barrels and I also have a shipment of 7" twist Brux barrels on the way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Lots of great bullets you could still run with that twist. And don't discount the 120 GMX for close high velocity impacts. But! If you don't reload, one is going to have more factory options tailored to longer ranges. Run what you brought, by the time you're looking to rebarrel you'll know if you like it.

The PRC runs about 150-200FPS slower, it was not designed to be a speed burner.

With modern steel and fast twist barrels the .264wm can still really shine but I'm afraid as much as I love it, it's never going to gain a big following again.

Shoot it as long as you can and enjoy it, when you rebarrel look at one of the newer wiz bang 6.5's like WBY's 6.5RPM.

I'm not drinking the kool-aid of a 9 twist being a limiting factor. My 264 will shoot 160 grain hornadys into an inch at a hundred. The 140 grain remington core-lokts and 130 grain sciroccos less than an inch at a hundred. If I think I need a heavier bullet, we'll then, I just reach into the gun cabinet and grab a bigger gun. Problem solved. And btw, my 264 is a factory barreled ruger 77 with no more than a McMillan stock added.

I may be wrong, and frequently am but 10 years from now I would expect the 6.5RPM to be more popular than the 6.5PRC, and the 264 win mag will be about as popular as it is today. The 264 win mag is a classic caliber, I've owned and hunted with several, but I've never noticed an animal could tell It died from a 6.5/06 or a 264 win mag.