284win vs 6.5 prc

KU_Geo

Looking to build a rifle for general purpose Mtn hunting: deer and some elk here in CO, have a couple sheep and goat hunts the next few years in Canada and Alaska. I really like the tikka action and am planning to go that direct for sure. Now the choice is really down to caliber. I've been leaning toward the 284win but now second guessing myself and wondering if I should build a 6.5 PRC. Either would be built around Berger bullets (168VLD or 156 EOL). Goal is a 7.5-8lb all up rifle with no longer than 23" barrel that can get it done easily out to 600-700 yards.

The 168 HVLD Bullets, will be, MUCH easier to find and IF "pushed", they will Hit,.. very Hard !
A 23"-24" Barreled Tikka is, a VERY "good",.. choice !
Use approx the same Contour of, a Tikka T-3 Factory barrel and the Weight will, "come IN" for you.
My .270 WSM, T-3, SS 24", weigh's, 7 pounds, 10 ounces with, a 4.5 X 14 Burris, in Burris Zee, Steel Rings, lapped.
My son launches 168 HVLD's with StaBall Powder, 2,765 FPS out of, a 22" Tikka, 7mm-08 and they are still going OVER 2,000 FPS at,.. 800 Yards ! We too, are, back country, "Mountain Hunters" !
Go,.. .284 !

Last edited:
6.5 prc. It will push the bullet a wee bit faster than the 284 (data based on comparing factory ammo of same grain) and it can go much faster with hand loads. It is rising in popularity both for hunting and PRS shooters making the brass and reloading components more readily available. You should have an easier time finding brass and dyes in the future. The BC is hard to beat too. It was designed for longer-range PRS matches meaning it was designed to make 500y+ first shot hits under time pressure. This seems like your perfect balance.

I have both and they are basically ballistic twins. so now it is down to personal preference and for me the 284 win is more accurate and easier to develop loads.
when the time comes the 284 will get a rebarrel and the PRC already has the barrel removed

I have both and they are basically ballistic twins. so now it is down to personal preference and for me the 284 win is more accurate and easier to develop loads.
when the time comes the 284 will get a rebarrel and the PRC already has the barrel removed
Why choose between two great cartridges that way you can have both

I have a 6.5 PRC (2 barrels) and multiple 6.5-284's. The PRC has been an absolute dream to shoot. Easiest to load cartridge I've ever messed with. Literally shoots anything I throw at it very well. If in the end you desire the higher BC for weight bullet the 6.5 is higher and has an excellent sectional density value. However, you are talking about 2 very good calibers 6.5/7mm so it boils down splitting hairs for purpose of a decision. For me, the 284 case with sheshane improvement would be worth a hard look as it will get the case capacity closer to the PRC. My 6.5-284's cannot keep up pace with the PRC especially choosing a shorter barrel configuration. I have a 22" proof and 18" xcaliber. That proof is wicked good, like all my proofs, and runs a 156 at 2915 and a 153 at 2960 for their upper accuracy node. I've not run the heavies in the 18 so the final results aren't known yet. It was designed to run a 135 A tip so it's not a big deal if doesn't do well. The biggest draw back currently for the PRC is finding brass. Otherwise, you literally cannot go wrong with either decision. I run a bighorn TL3 short action and a COAL of 2.950 in aics mags.

Thats a hard one. Both are very similar ballistically. Given you're building around the 168 in the 7mm though id go with the 6.5 prc with the 156. The 156 in the 6.5 prc will be superior to the 168 in the 284. Id build the 284 for the 175 eol or the 180 hybrid personally

Appreciate all the opinions. Thats a good point on the 168 vld vs 156 eol. If I was to build around the 175 elite hunter, anyone have data on what I velocity could expect from the 284win from a 23-24" barrel?

Appreciate all the opinions. Thats a good point on the 168 vld vs 156 eol. If I was to build around the 175 elite hunter, anyone have data on what I velocity could expect from the 284win from a 23-24" barrel?

According to Hodgdon reloading center around 2700ish. It's similar to a 7mm-08AI and a bit less than a 280.

I'm a big .284 fan. I have one built on a Remington long action and a 26" Bartlein. I have used both the 175 Berger Elite Hunters and the 180 ELDs. Both of them I got up to around 2900 without pressure signs using RL26. I settled on the 175s at 2840fps with RL23 because that's what my rifle likes. With a 23-24" barrel you could be able to hit the same node but would probably run into pressure. I think 2750-2780fps would be a realistic velocity for the 175s in a 23-24" barrel.

As Creedmoor Shooter suggested, I'd choose the 175-180 bullets over the 168 Berger. The 168 is only 7gr lighter than the 175gr but the Elite Hunter has a decent improvement in BC. The 175 also has a Hybrid ogive compared to the VLD design so it will be easier to tune and keep shooting well.