284win vs 6.5 prc

UN-less, you're Braking the Rifle, the 168's in a .284 will give you ALL, the Recoil you can stand, in a SUB 8 pound Rifle !
My .270 WSM ( 7.7 Pounds ) launching 140's at, 3,185 FPS ,.. "Jumps" off, the bench rest ! But, Pleasant to shoot over Sticks, tho !
Ditto for, my son's, 7 .5 lb 7-08 Tikka launching, the 168's at 2,765 FPS.
In the "Timber",.. AVOID any Barrel,.. over 24" ! My 26" 7mm Rem Mag., got caught, on every Twig, walking the Brushy Trails !
There are, many, MANY, Elk Kills on YouTube with, the 168's shot, in Various 7 mm's !
It's,.. a PROVEN,.. "Killer" and shoots, Sub 1/2 MOA for, my son !

Last edited:
simple answer 284 is a better case design. only advantage to the PRC is availability of factory ammo for those that need it.
I have been a 284 win and 6.5 284 norma fan for many yrs finishing a 25-284 build today but would not exchange them for my two 6.5prcs . I think they all or great cartridges but the performance I get from 124 gr 123 gr and 131 gr hammers cant be matched with the 284 case I've tried and the 6.5 284 will not take the pressures the 6.5 prc will so even though its a well designed case the prc works better for me . The 284 is great thats why I have that one too

I have been a 284 win and 6.5 284 norma fan for many yrs finishing a 25-284 build today but would not exchange them for my two 6.5prcs . I think they all or great cartridges but the performance I get from 124 gr 123 gr and 131 gr hammers cant be matched with the 284 case I've tried and the 6.5 284 will not take the pressures the 6.5 prc will so even though its a well designed case the prc works better for me . The 284 is great thats why I have that one too
100%. I have a pile of 284 brass and several barrels on the shelf. I can't let go of it but I also have no desire to spin one back on while I have the PRC's. I think the hard part for the OP is that he already has the brass, should he go down the PRC rabbit hole or not....

100%. I have a pile of 284 brass and several barrels on the shelf. I can't let go of it but I also have no desire to spin one back on while I have the PRC's. I think the hard part for the OP is that he already has the brass, should he go down the PRC rabbit hole or not....
[/QUOTE Trying too do it all with one rifle would be tough for me that's why I keep building them I love em all

@Hard rock

Can't disagree. My rifle is a switch barrel and bolt head so it can do it all tho. I still have multiple rifles but my go to at this point is the 6.5 PRC. Started breaking in the new barrel last night. 18" x caliber carbon. I ran a test batch of hornady virgin brass and 1x adg with 143's and a velocity check with the 135A. Virgin hornady was 10 shots with 2855 fps avg and sd of 6.7. ADG 15 shots was 2870, 10.7. 135A with adg was 2930. I don't remember the sd on the 135. All 3 tests shot .5 moa or better at 500. Bug holes on the zero target. I don't know what this barrel will do when it breaks in, I have 35 rounds on it now and expect it to settle in around 100-150. I am very impressed with the accuracy of this new barrel tho. My neighbor is taking it on a buffalo hunt so he shot it too on the 500 plate. One splatter mark for 3 shots and he was ear to ear grinning. I'll load the 153a or 156 for that hunt and likely spin the 22" back on. We'll see. I can't say it enough, the PRC is flat out the easiest to load cartridge I've played with. A buddy has a 6 PRC and my brain won't stop thinking about it......

I'm in a similar spot, I've got no lightweight mountain rifle (and vague plans for elk hunting). Gunsmith lead times being what they are it can't be too early to start planning, right?

I've got a 6 BRA Tikka I love and it seems like the perfect platform for a medium length cartridge like the 284 Win. I've now got brass, dies, bullets, powders, everything except a barrel. Obviously I'd recommend 284 too, but one thing to consider if you're planning to use it this coming season is that you can get a takeoff 6.5 PRC barrel from North Idaho Hunter.

Here is a update on my 18" 6.5 PRC now that is broke in. Confirmed data to 1500 so far with the 156 and 135. Shoot the 135 primarily due to the high bc and additional velocity making it quite suitable for long range predators. Zero issue using it on deer and elk and reasonable distances as well. Keep in mind you can get more fps then me if you want to push it. I have 6x reloads on hornady brass and pockets feel same as new. I can go almost a full grain higher and still extract a case but that additional 100 fps doesn't mean much to me at this point.

135A Tip- 2982.
143x - 2925.
156 EOL- 2820.

284 has about 2500-3k Rd barrel life if you don't top fuel every load correct?

I'm about 800 rds on a benchmark and it's still stacking rounds. Since the 284 is not as overbore as the 6.5-284 it should go the distance for you. The benchrest crowd could probably testify to real world results though.

Did they ever fix the issue with the prc case design or was it a non issue? I read some comments about the chamber design and problems resizing brass due to swelling at the case head.