6.5-7 PRC vs 6.5-300 PRC

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
I've been kicking around ideas for my next build and I wanted to build a 6.5-7 PRC with a shorter barrel, around 20-22", and shoot Berger 156 EOLs. Then I was thinking, why not add some more displacement and do a 6.5 300 PRC? I already know that the more powder you burn down a barrel the shorter it's life will be so there is no need to rehash that argument. ;) I grabbed some info from the 'internets' about approximate case capacity which I've listed below.

6.5 PRC - 68 grs
7 PRC - 73 grs
300 PRC - 77 grs
264 Win Mag - 82 grs
26 Nosler - 93 grs

I've read were Scottw2119 was getting 3200-3300 fps with the 156 EOL out of a 6.5-7 PRC and I think I remember elkaholic saying a customer was getting 3500 fps + out of a 30SM necked down to 6.5. I'm assuming they were using 24"+ barrels. Both of those cases are well below the 264 Win Mag and 26 Nosler in the amount of powder burned and are outperforming them as well. I guess my biggest question is, at what point do you reach diminishing returns in case capacity in relation to speed? Will I be able to find a suitable powder to use in a 20-22" barrel without having a flame thrower? I'm just thinking of ways to add more speed to overcome the shorter barrel length.
Does anyone have any experience with either or both? TIA

I will build a 6.5-7prc next. I think the 7 prc is the ultimate case capacity and design for the 6.5 caliber. At the barrel length you mention I think the 300prc case extra powder volume would have very diminished returns compared to the 7 prc case. But if you want more go for it and enjoy. My 6.5-7prc will have a 26" minimum length barrel. I haven't decided if I will improve the shoulder for brass life not powder capacity yet or not but if you use the 7 case power capacity/horse power would be increased.

The 264 Win Mag won't perform with even a 24" barrel, needs 26" plus imo. .284 barrels do a little better short but 30 cal and up does much better at 20-22"

I have no experience with PRC's but a lot with the 6.5x284. It has a 66-68gr water capacity so close to a 6.5PRC. 6.5X284 with a 20" or 22" barrel the fps is so close to a 260R or Creedmoor that that I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
Here's the 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC capacities

Attachments

• IMG_7962.jpeg
    IMG_7962.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_7963.jpeg
    IMG_7963.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 320
Some more case capacity measurements

I've been kicking around ideas for my next build and I wanted to build a 6.5-7 PRC with a shorter barrel, around 20-22", and shoot Berger 156 EOLs. Then I was thinking, why not add some more displacement and do a 6.5 300 PRC? I already know that the more powder you burn down a barrel the shorter it's life will be so there is no need to rehash that argument. ;) I grabbed some info from the 'internets' about approximate case capacity which I've listed below.

6.5 PRC - 68 grs
7 PRC - 73 grs
300 PRC - 77 grs
264 Win Mag - 82 grs
26 Nosler - 93 grs

I've read were Scottw2119 was getting 3200-3300 fps with the 156 EOL out of a 6.5-7 PRC and I think I remember elkaholic saying a customer was getting 3500 fps + out of a 30SM necked down to 6.5. I'm assuming they were using 24"+ barrels. Both of those cases are well below the 264 Win Mag and 26 Nosler in the amount of powder burned and are outperforming them as well. I guess my biggest question is, at what point do you reach diminishing returns in case capacity in relation to speed? Will I be able to find a suitable powder to use in a 20-22" barrel without having a flame thrower? I'm just thinking of ways to add more speed to overcome the shorter barrel length.
Your capacity numbers are off
6.5 saum capacity is 72-73 grains
6.5-7prc will be close to 80
300 prc is 95 grains
Go 6.5 saum, I'm at 2780 with 147 eldms from a 16" barrel

Go over bore or go home :). This speaking from a new owner of a 6.5x300 weatherby. I love it so far and just working up to pressure to see where it's at. I got 153.5 Bergers going 3135 so far with zero pressure signs. I made my next rounds for it but my Stock is at the beauty parlor getting a make over. It's stupid accurate so far

Go over bore or go home :). This speaking from a new owner of a 6.5x300 weatherby. I love it so far and just working up to pressure to see where it's at. I got 153.5 Bergers going 3135 so far with zero pressure signs. I made my next rounds for it but my Stock is at the beauty parlor getting a make over. It's stupid accurate so far
With a 90+ grain case there is upside to the velocity fo sho.
What I'm curious about is accuracy with that bullet at higher speeds, like 3200+
Keep us posted!
I'm tossing around a few ideas.

If it were me, I would go 300WSM case and never consider any PRC case.
This, and 25 cal, is what I built back in 2000/1 and was very successful, the PRC has no advantage over this case…none.

Cheers.
After I learned things from here about things I didn't know, that I didn't know.
I looked at the WSM cases and they seem to of been built perfectly decade's ago. Just the the 284 case.

With a 90+ grain case there is upside to the velocity fo sho.
What I'm curious about is accuracy with that bullet at higher speeds, like 3200+
Keep us posted!
I'm tossing around a few ideas.
I had the same trepidation when I was building my 416Rigby Improved wildcats, but I found it was unfounded as accuracy is just a manifestation of barrel harmonics and unless spun too fast, most bullets will handle far more velocity than you would think.
However, terminal ballistics is a different story, some bullets just shouldn't be pushed fast…

Cheers.

If it were me, I would go 300WSM case and never consider any PRC case.
This, and 25 cal, is what I built back in 2000/1 and was very successful, the PRC has no advantage over this case…none.

Cheers.
The new release of Lapua WSM brass has me wanting to make a bunch of 300 WSM parent case cartridges lol. But a 6.5-300 WSM sounds ideal.

6.5 PRC - 68 grs
7 PRC - 73 grs
300 PRC - 77 grs
264 Win Mag - 82 grs
26 Nosler - 93 grs

I have shortened the barrel on numerous rifles recently and have gained back most if not all of the velocity losses by switching those rifles to copper monos. Three things contribute:
1. Less engraving pressure makes more velocity.
2. Less weight needed in good quality monos that perform as designed.
3. Because there is less engraving pressure, you can typically use a faster burning powder without as steep of an initial pressure curve. Faster burning cuts down the flame-thrower and accelerates the bullet in a shorter tube.

Its worked for me in numerous cartridges