6.5 prc vs 264 wm

6.5-284 has Lapua brass and it's seems to usually be available to purchase without hassle. There is also tons of load data around about the cartridge because so many guys have used it for long range shooting. Most guys get it in a long action so performance seems on par with 6.5PRC.

Plus it's not very well known outside of long range shooting. So you'll have the joy of correcting everybody every-single-time you tell them what it is... "Oh you mean the 6.5 Creedmoor?". "No, I don't mean that at all"...

I can't stand taking the time to brass prep. So if a cartridge has Lapua brass available, it automatically gets bumped to the top of my list. Cuts the majority of that time out. Just food for thought. But I've always been interested in the 264 Win Mag. Good luck!

(4 months isn't that old for a thread)

Someone was asking about speed of the various 6.5mm's . . . still working on finding the best accuracy for this MRC in 26 Nosler, but that is 3719 fps on the Labradar with Barnes 120 gn TSX bullets. That gun shot a 1.080" 5-shot group with a different load but still the Barnes 120 gn TSX at 3650 fps. Pronghorns beware . . .

Last edited:
Not having a .264 Winchester Magnum for several years I am considering building one.
I have two 98Mauser actions laying around needing barrels.
I have thought to build a .264 Win Mag and maybe a .257 Weatherby Mag.
Started playing with the 6.5's in the '80's and really like them.

I have a new remington sendero 264 win mag that hasn't seen the light of day since it was bought about 6 months ago do to a move. With that said the barrel is supposed to be a 9 twist so,.. does any have any proven experience of what the heaviest bullet I can expect to stabilize? I was hoping to shoot the 142 LRAB or the berger elete hunter and possible the 143ELDX, along with the 140 AB. I was looking at these for deer and elk. This is my third 6.5 caliber but the other 2 had 1/8 twist barrels and it was no question with the 140ish stuff. Two other are a burned out 6.5X284Norma, and a 3 month old 6.5 creed.

Hello all, getting ready to build my first custom and I'm confused of witch one to go with. They look similar in ballistics. Any reason to choose one or the other? Components will be mc gamescout with a left hand rem 700 (long or short) with a 26" bartlein #3 barrel. Thanks in advanced. First time posting.

I'm biased toward the Win Mag for all of the attributes posted by others.

I have a new remington sendero 264 win mag that hasn't seen the light of day since it was bought about 6 months ago do to a move. With that said the barrel is supposed to be a 9 twist so,.. does any have any proven experience of what the heaviest bullet I can expect to stabilize? I was hoping to shoot the 142 LRAB or the berger elete hunter and possible the 143ELDX, along with the 140 AB. I was looking at these for deer and elk. This is my third 6.5 caliber but the other 2 had 1/8 twist barrels and it was no question with the 140ish stuff. Two other are a burned out 6.5X284Norma, and a 3 month old 6.5 creed.
With a 9 twist you will likely be able to stabilize the 140 class bullets. You might see a slightly diminished ballistic coefficient. I used to shoot140g Berger VLD, 140g Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tip from a 9 twist 264WIN for quite a few years. Inside of 500 yards everything worked very well with no discernible problems. At more extended range I had to reduce the BC to make the data match the actual point of impact. How often are you planning to actually shoot beyond 500? Maybe not an issue at all for you.
Another very good bullet that I have had excellent results with is the130g Berger AR Hybrid. Stupid easy to load with. With Norma 217 I worked up from 66.0g from a 26" barrel 264Win I found pressure at 3,366fps. I backed off to just shy of 3,300fps. I haven't had a chance to get that rifle on fur yet, maybe I finally reached enough rifles. I've taken a deer the last two seasons with the 130g Berger AR Hybrid with a suppressed 6.5 Grendel with excellent results.

Have a Rem 700 264 mag I bought new in 1964. It has harvested several truck loads of game. Using the Barnes TSX bullet I took my best bull ever with it in 2014 when the rifle turned 50. It still shoots under an inch with it's " ORIGINAL " 23.5" blued stainless Bbl. Never shoot more than two shots with out a cool down. Also have a couple other 264's. Win 70 EW 26" 1/9 will drive Nosler 140 AB to 3228 fps using VV24N41 powder & tinry groups . Win 70 CRF action with Douglas 24" Bbl stainless 1/8 twist will drive 121gr Hammer to 3419 using Rel 33. Took my elk with this load last season. The 121 gr Hammer drove completely thru both front shoulders at about 80 yds. DRT. I do also have a 6.5x06 , 24" stainless ( same ballistics as PRC ) which I dearly love but not a 264 mag. When going to the heavier bullets the 264 pulls away from the 6.5 PRC/6.5x06,/6.5x284. More powder = higher velocity. Have taken elk with all of them. They all work. Tought deep penetrating bullet properly placed will make your day.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.