270 Win vs 6.5 PRC

Well, it didn't take long for me to fold for the PRC 'kool aid'. Found a Savage Model 10 with a medium-heavy, ported barrel for a great price and I snagged it. Can't wait to shoot it, but heck.... I ain't paying $5+ a pill right now. The dies are purchased and on the way. If anyone buys this gun, reloading is about the only ammo option unless you are fond of chunking stacks of $100 bills.

COdJ03E.jpg

I am not sure that I get it either. Most of the time the difference in action/rifle length is 3/4". I have several of both but it doesn't matter much to me.
It truly baffles me, it's like there's some sort of achiement of great note in having a short action shooting a cartridge that gets close in performance to longer action based cartridges.

If you want more performance you need a bigger case and that's most easily achieved by going to a longer case. The Long action just gives you much more room to work with especially if you're trying to shoot long, heavy for caliber bullets seated way out there.

Now for competition shooters who are limited to short actions for their venues or classes I get it but not for hunting.

Well, it didn't take long for me to fold for the PRC 'kool aid'. Found a Savage Model 10 with a medium-heavy, ported barrel for a great price and I snagged it. Can't wait to shoot it, but heck.... I ain't paying $5+ a pill right now. The dies are purchased and on the way. If anyone buys this gun, reloading is about the only ammo option unless you are fond of chunking stacks of $100 bills.

COdJ03E.jpg
Sportsman's Warehouse had factory ammo in stock at reasonable prices.

If I were starting over today with a 6.5 it would be hard not to give the PRC a very hard look. I'm still trying very hard to talk myself out of a couple of JP Sauers in 6.5PRC that I keep looking at.

Sportsman's Warehouse had factory ammo in stock at reasonable prices.

If I were starting over today with a 6.5 it would be hard not to give the PRC a very hard look. I'm still trying very hard to talk myself out of a couple of JP Sauers in 6.5PRC that I keep looking at.

Got my son headed to his local store in the morning.... Man I hope they have boxes.... Told him to buy all they have.