270 win vs 270wsm

bruno t

I hear from people and articles that, why would I get a wsm 270 when its only 150 fps diffrence. Well I don't know what there talking about, cause I hunted with a 270 win for 20yrs and handloaded my own rounds. When I got the 130gr up to 3200 fps the primers would shoot loose and sticky bolt. My 270 wsm gets a tad over 3500fps and no sticky bolt or loose primers. I moly my bullets just as I did with my 270 win. Same barrel lenghts ect.. I can reload my wsm cases 7-8 times before I get a split neck. That never was the case with my 270 win. Don't get me wrong the 270 win is awesome, but the 270wsm really does beat it out. Also my point of impact with different bulet weights is about the same with the wsm. And I get 3035fps with 180gr woodleigh. That shoot 3shot half inch groups. Magpro is my powder that my kimber like. From 110 grbarnes to 180gr woodleighs 3785 to 3035 fps. I shot some deer at 450yds anb its like lightning strikes them. Maybe bullets have got better but I really love the wsm family. I've been reloading for 27years and never had a accident. I know what is safe and what isn't. Also I had a 270 win in a model 700 sendero with a 26inch barrel and never achieved the velocity as I do in my 24inch wsm. Just my 02cents. To me yes 300fps is allot to make me want and shoot wsm. I'm not hateing on the oconner round just saying its more than what you think. And for me I can't handload wsm270 rounds , of any weight that shoots over a inch at 100yds. Thank you wsm!!!!:)

.270 Ackley Improved vs .270 WSM would be a much closer comparison... Those 2 should be right on par with each other.

Personally just because of brass prices, and how easy fire-forming is...I'd just go with a .270 Win Ackley Improved. Cheap brass, and same velocity. Especially is you use a really slow burning powder with heavy-for-caliber bullets.

IMO Sometimes it's not about internal or external ballistics.

I'm not fond of how a 270 or 270AI recoils. I'd rather shoot an unbraked 300 Weatherby over any 30-06 based chambering. Oh, I do.

but

Somehow you will have to decide.

As I Understand It

At the current state of the art, as in: heavy for caliber bullets, seated to long COAL. 270, 270AI and 270WSM assembled this way may not fit into the magazine. As far as I can tell from my actions the 270 and 270AI has the best chance of fitting into the mag.

Oh and I am thinking about assembling one of the rifles as a 270 to play with until the 270/26 Nosler reamer and mag bolt face arrives.

All I need to do at this point is head space it and torque the barrel.

I grew up shooting my older brothers 270 Win and when I was 16 I had saved enough money to buy my first rifle which was a Winchester featherweight 270 WSM which I still own I bought it just after they released the WSM family back when they were still made in New Haven if I were to build a 270 cal. today I wouldn't do either I have had decent luck with my WSM they are definitely an improvement over the standard but I have had cycle issues from time to time which I believe is well documented with the WSM's and correct me if im wrong I believe with the long VLD bullets they will not fit in a S.A. mag box so if you have to run the 270 WSM in a long action I don't really see much of an advantage in them especially if they have cycling problems if I were to build a 270 cal today I would look really hard at doing a 270/ 26 Nosler or doing a 270 mag from 264 W.M. brass or 7MM Rem Mag brass that's but that just the opinion of a late night keyboard jockey so take it for what its worth

Mine cycles great, I've heard what you are talking about, but I have had no problems with bergers of 150gr. Or 110 gr barnes bullets, or the 180gr woodleigh. Id like to see a 270 win or ai 270 shoot 3035fps with the 180 gr woodleighs, and it be a clover leaf group. I did have accuracy problems witThe 180 gr bullets, but that was when my velocity was 2750fps. They were keyhole shape, got the fps up to 3035 and amazing group. That load will be for russian boar this winter. I still love my 270win in my interarms mark x shot 25 whitetails with it. My grandma bought it for me when I was 15. I'm 42 now and it will still shoot 1moa with 130gr hornady sst, around 3200fps with magpro. It also likes 150 bergers around 2950fps.

Well, now that someone else said it.

Heck yeah a 270/26 Nosler.

That is what that R700 LA and 270 barrel will become.

That was the first thing I thought of when the 26 nosler came out. Neck up to 277 , I'll wait to see what ppl are getting out of it. If not the 270 allen mag is on my list.

I like the 270WSM over the WCF, not so much for performance, but for the handling characteristics. I just love the short action for the way it handles.

If I want the ultimate factory 270, I reach for my 270 Weatherby Mag. :)

Not so much for performance? I'm getting 3500 fps with 130 bergers and 130 hornady sst. If that not enough for you out of a 24inch barrel, and the gun weighs 8pound with my scope. Not trying to argue! Just don't understand what you mean by performance. And yes some people don't get that velocity out of there 270wsm and accuracy at the same time. I was at the range with my chronograph and the guys there couldn't believe I was getting those speeds and accuracy. So I let one guy use it and he said to me what his velocity was before he shot and it was right there 15fps less then what he said he naormaly gets. Made some believe in the wsm family. The weatherby needs 26inch to surpass the wsm. Either way there all 0.277 that works for me.

Not so much for performance? I'm getting 3500 fps with 130 bergers and 130 hornady sst. If that not enough for you out of a 24inch barrel, and the gun weighs 8pound with my scope. Not trying to argue! Just don't understand what you mean by performance. And yes some people don't get that velocity out of there 270wsm and accuracy at the same time. I was at the range with my chronograph and the guys there couldn't believe I was getting those speeds and accuracy. So I let one guy use it and he said to me what his velocity was before he shot and it was right there 15fps less then what he said he naormaly gets. Made some believe in the wsm family. The weatherby needs 26inch to surpass the wsm. Either way there all 0.277 that works for me.
I've never seen a .270 WSM getting 3500 fps...Especially out of a 24" barrel. Are you sure your chrono is calibrated properly?

Reason I ask, is my .25-06 AI and .257 Wby Mag are only getting 3300-3400 fps with 115gr bullets.

I just got done telling you I let a guy at the range who reloads, and has a chrono and he thought my chrono was off until he verified with his ammo. I've shot factoy ammo 9mm through it, it says 1160 on the box and I'm getting 1140. That 20fps is due to my ported barrel on my sigma. So its on! I proly didn't tell you I moly my bullets and bore, so that proly gives me 100 fps.but I've done the same moly test on the 270win, and primers would pop out ar 3200fps. So 300fps increase is a lot to me.

Not trying to be a smart *** either, and apoligize if I sound that way. 180gr woodliegh at 3035fps moly coated. That's fast. That's why I said some guys at the range didn't believe I was shooting the bullets I said I was

Think you mis-understood me. Yes, I agree, the WSM is a GREAT performer and offers enough additional over the WCF to justify it. What I was trying to say is, I love the WSM more for the way it handles with the compact, short action, than I do for the additional performance it offers over the WCF.

As for 3500 fps, I don't doubt you saw 3500 fps on a chronograph, but I can assure you, if your load was pressure tested, it would be WAY over max...even if you have a fast barrel and use Moly.

I hand load for my WSM and it maxes out around 3300 with 130's, but the case life sucks and the bolt get's a little sticky when the outside air temp goes up. Remember, just because you don't observe traditional pressure signs, doesn't mean you're not well over max. Hope you wear safety glasses when you shoot!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.