270wsm vs300wsm vs 7mm wsm

The Matrix bullets are showing up strong in the 270 cals!! Between the 270 WSM and the 7mm WSM there is little between them, if you stand on one it will out run the other. I just start to get pressure signs at 3120 with Retumbo and 165's but at 3053 ES is almost nil so that's where it runs and I have good brass choices and if I need to use some factory loads, God help me, it widely available. I really biased though!!!

Interesting web site. Yes their bullets have most impressive BC along with a high price tag. What twist is required to shoot that 175gr VLD ? They have a 190gr .284 VLD with a .807 BC But same thing what twist ? My 9" twist some shooters claim it will work for the 180s and some don't. 8" twist might smoked the bullet ?

Interesting web site. Yes their bullets have most impressive BC along with a high price tag. What twist is required to shoot that 175gr VLD ? They have a 190gr .284 VLD with a .807 BC But same thing what twist ? My 9" twist some shooters claim it will work for the 180s and some don't. 8" twist might smoked the bullet ?

The 165's are shooting well in a 1-10 twist even in a 270 win but I'm at 6000ft which helps but others have been doing good with them lower, some are even running the 175's in a 1-10 but I'll find out as soon as I get my next load of bullets a 1-9 is what is being pushed and seems like it would be the sweet rate for the heavies in the 270, the 1-8 seems to be just to aggresive. The Matrix BC's are high due to being just calculated, in the field the 165's are running .650+ and the 175 .700+ the 7mm 190 is almost identical to the 180 Berger.
They shoot to good to notice the price, I wore the last barrel out with Accubonds so the Matrix seems cheap, gotta pay to play :D. Not lucky enough to have a great bullet like the A-max that is cheap.

Interesting web site. Yes their bullets have most impressive But same thing what twist ? My 9" twist some shooters claim it will work for the 180s and some don't. 8" twist might smoked the bullet ?

If I can add my 2 cents worth, my 7mm saum has a 26 inch McGowan in 8 twist. It shoots 168 vlds just fine.
I have seen lots of people order their 6.5 - 284 barrels in 8 twist.

I'm trying to bracket 270 caliber,.. If both larger and smaller calibers run well in 8 twist, then it's probably OK for you too. I don't know if you need an 8 twist, but a 180g .277 bullet is a long one and an 8 twist wouldn't hurt.

My 270 WSM has a 10 twist and it loves 150 g SGC bullets. I don't know if I can shoot 180s in my 270.

I shoot 180 gr vld's out of my 27" 7mm wsm varmint contour mcgowen barrel with a 1 in 9 twist and it loves them I get 2950 fps with a near max load of imr 7828 ssc and very sub MOA groups. Out of the three I would go 7mm all the way but I am also bias. Never liked the .277 because of bullet choice and don't liked the 30 cal because of BC so hands down 7mm all the way for this guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.