270 Win vs 6.5 PRC

I'm. A. 270. Guy. But the. Slower. Twist . Means 150. Grn. Bullets. Max ! However I have a question for you. Have you run the ballistics out to 600 yards? If you have done that are you actually satisfied with the energy retained at 600 yards from the 270 Winchester? Speaking only for myself , I am not. My personal rule for my 270 win hunting rifles With 24 inch barrels, is 400 yards max. That is with a 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullet starting out at 3050 ft./s .Again I say that is just my personal feeling! If the range can. Be 400. Yards. Or more , I. Take. My 270. Weatherby. Mag which. Likes150 Grn. Accubond LR and is. Zero at 300. Yards !! Just a. Thought !!!

Heck, I got an old 6.5 rem mag, laminated stock mohawk sitting in the old cabinet that was doing the same thing back in the late 1960's, so much have we improved in 60's years of trying..basically ZERO !!
Again, different deal. 1:9 twist is what a factory rem mag comes in. Designed for light fast bullets. Not heavy high bc long range popular bullets. All 6.5 calibers today come in a 1:8 and several are now looking at production barrels in 7.5. Who produces a 6.5 RM chambered rifle today? Gone with the wind. It is really odd how now all the sudden short action magnums are popular. Saum for example has been around for a long time and never gained traction with OEM. PRC is a whole different animal. Everyone is on board and chambering it. Weird but it is what is. Don't like it, don't buy it, but its legit and produces advertised performance, nothing more, nothing less.

I vote for the 270, especially if you reload. The 6.5PRC is interesting too and I almost bought that instead of my 270, but the extra round was my deciding factor. Really like have a 5 round gun.

I'm. A. 270. Guy. But the. Slower. Twist . Means 150. Grn. Bullets. Max ! However I have a question for you. Have you run the ballistics out to 600 yards? If you have done that are you actually satisfied with the energy retained at 600 yards from the 270 Winchester? Speaking only for myself , I am not. My personal rule for my 270 win hunting rifles With 24 inch barrels, is 400 yards max. That is with a 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullet starting out at 3050 ft./s .Again I say that is just my personal feeling! If the range can. Be 400. Yards. Or more , I. Take. My 270. Weatherby. Mag which. Likes150 Grn. Accubond LR and is. Zero at 300. Yards !! Just a. Thought !!!
Sounds you're leaving quite a bit of performance on the table with your 270, but that Weatherby is an underrated fire breather for sure.
I'm easily pushing 117gr Hammer Hunters at 3525' in my 24" 270 and that's plenty of juice to smash deer out to 700+, h€ll, it's got enough thump to kill elk out past 500 yards 🤠 Love that round and the rifle I shoot it from.

If having to use a long action is not a problem for you' its quite simple to install a fast twist barrel for the high B.C. bullets in a 270. Winchester did just that with their new 270 ( 6.8 Western ). That being said, my 24" factory barreled 270 has shot several deer past 500 yds. using an ancient 150 gr. Nosler Partition pushed to just over 3000 fps. I believe the 6.5 PRC is a great round, but lets see how well it stands the test of time.

Having tried all the 6.5 derivatives, I went old school and purchased a 264 win mag, its a Sako rebarreled in 1 in 8 twist by one of the best if not the best rifle smith in the UK.
It does what it says on the tin.

but I like guns
Then don't add a new caliber, get a custom something (rifle/action/barrel/etc) in one you already shoot 😈 Why are you deciding between regular Jim Beam and whatever gimmick flavor they're selling this month when you can get a small batch bottle and experience the best? I like Jim Beam just fine most days, but sometimes you want to experience something, not just do something. Experience the joy of loading for a chamber while looking at the reamer that cut it.

Nah just kidding. Get the 6.5 PRC. The 270 WIN is the original "women and kid's gun" for people who couldn't handle the perfection that is the 30-06. 🤡

On the serious side, I talked with the shop here about the 6.5 PRC clicker issue after talking with someone who had personally experienced it, they said their reamers have solved the issue. The PRC is a more efficient case and the bullet option in 6.5mm is great. The 156 EOL and 153.5 hybrid Bergers give the 6.5mm bore a solid run against 7mm.

Last edited:
On other hand, Berger 140 Classic Hunter at 3100 fps still has 1165 ftlbs at 700 yds at 1,000' elevation. Rough numbers but works well with 1:10 twist. SG was 1.52 so not bad. Ballistic tips are fine but there are other bullets that get it done with 1:10TW and extend your range. I only plugged in 3100 since 24" is common barrel and not everyone has RL26 magic pixie dust.

In the .270 WSM, with 140's,..RL-26 is,.. "Pixie Dust" but, kinda hard to, find !
But, 65.7 grains of, IMR 7828 ( F-215 Mag ) with, the 140 Berger Classic Hunters, in my Tikka 1-10 Twist, 24", is going, 3,175 to 3,185 FPS and still going, OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ! The load produces, RELIABLE, 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, groups, WHEN, I can do my part and FORGET my, .338 Win Mag Flinch !
And it, Kills Elk like,.. the "Hammer of, Thor" !
The 6.5 PRC should also be, a great Elk Rifle with,.. PROPER, Bullets !
And again, this Year, MANY Elk, will Fall to the ole' .270 Win by,.. serious Hunters !

Last edited:
I personally hunt with the Tikka 270. I use a 130 gr gmx bullet on everything up to moose to 500yrds. I also have a 6.5 swede, I look at travel and ammo. If I fly and lose my ammo for what ever reason, which is easiest to find. The 270 on deer a 130 accubond or partition are more than enough. Just find a load that hits where you are aiming consistently.

Off the shelf, 6.5 PRC. Custom then you have options.

My XBolt 6.5 PRC with 156 Bergers at 2950 fps has 1859 fps / 1197 ft lbs at 900 yards. It has 1493 ft lbs at 700 yards.

Your out of the box 22" 270 Win shooting a 150 grn will not carry that much energy at distance. Now build it with a fast twist 26" barrel and shoot 170's and then it will outperform the 6.5 PRC. It burns more powder. But you are building something semi or full custom at that point and you'll have to reload to get those heavies.

The 6.8 Western is the modern 270 Win answer to the 6.5 PRC.