6.5 PRC VS 6.5-06 (6.5-270) Hunting Comparison?

Wild Monkey

Judging from a Cost vs Performance Analysis only. I've compared the Volume of these Cases and the PRC (62) gives up roughly 5 Grains Capacity to the 270 Brass (67). Can the PRC overcome this shortcoming with it's better efficiency? No Doubt for .270 Brass is way less expensive. What am I missing? According to this Data the PRC can't compete.

Last edited:
Have been shooting the 6.5-06 for years. Comparing it to a friend's custom PRC same 24" Bbl ,virtually same powder capacity & performance. The 6.5-270 has been around for decades known as the 6.5x64 Brenneke. It holds slightly more powder than the 6.5-06 or PRC. There is nothing magic about the PRC case. It is confined to the the laws of physics the same as any other case. A fixed amount of powder generates a fixed amount of expanding gases which drives the bullet to a certain speed. There also is the 6.5 Rem mag which beats both the 6.5-06 & the PRC.

PRC (62) 270 Brass (67) .284 64.9 grains, Shehane 68.25 grains, 6.5 Rem Mag 68 grains. Dollar for Dollar none of these can compete with the .270 Case & that's the only reason I used it in the comparison. Mags list the PRC as greatly outperforming the 6.5-284.
I don't think the 6.5 RM has seen dust on a shelf near me in decades although it's makes a nice comparison. I think the 6.5 RM has been relegated to Wildcat status and I'm betting there is a more modernized Wildcat out there to compare it to ($2.60 + per round) if you can find it. Also I don't think the Brenneke has ever crossed the Pond.

the capacity is closer than you think
6.5 PRC GUNWERKS 68.3, HORNADY 69.6
I don't think there is a big difference except if you want factory ammo or long or short action preference
6.5-284 LAPUA 68.1
my opinion is velocity differences are only barrel and reloading practices from one to the other

PRC was not designed to be the next ultrafast 6.5. It was designed to give a bit more speed than it's little brother the 6.5cm for PRS type matches and for the person who wishes the 6.5cm had just a touch more speed for hunting purposes. It will also give the benefit of factory chambered rifles and factory ammo offerings.

I have 6.5-06 and 6.5-270. Both great rounds I harvested lots of critters with them. They are my go to guns right now. Neither give me the velocity that a PRC can achieve out of 24 in barrels But mine are standard throat which hurts me with getting higher velocities out of 140+ bullets.

From a pure ballistic stand point not enough meaningful difference between the 3. Rifle design would be a bigger difference maker than the cartridge

If I was building one today it would be a no brainer to go PRC with all the other advantages. Stamped brass, factory support, can do short or long action, better case design.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts