284win vs 6.5 prc

I'm a big .284 fan. I have one built on a Remington long action and a 26" Bartlein. I have used both the 175 Berger Elite Hunters and the 180 ELDs. Both of them I got up to around 2900 without pressure signs using RL26. I settled on the 175s at 2840fps with RL23 because that's what my rifle likes. With a 23-24" barrel you could be able to hit the same node but would probably run into pressure. I think 2750-2780fps would be a realistic velocity for the 175s in a 23-24" barrel.

As Creedmoor Shooter suggested, I'd choose the 175-180 bullets over the 168 Berger. The 168 is only 7gr lighter than the 175gr but the Elite Hunter has a decent improvement in BC. The 175 also has a Hybrid ogive compared to the VLD design so it will be easier to tune and keep shooting well.
Do you find the 180 eldm trajectory to match up to say JBM's or other ballistic calculators? TIA

I've been toying with the idea of a 7-08 26" tube and 175 EH or 180 ELDM. With the 175 EH if I can get 2700 fps I have a 700 yard elk rifle.

Appreciate all the opinions. Thats a good point on the 168 vld vs 156 eol. If I was to build around the 175 elite hunter, anyone have data on what I velocity could expect from the 284win from a 23-24" barrel?
can get to like 2800 depending on brass and powder choice. 26" and 4831Sc im pushing the 175 2960+ no ejector mark on the norma brass.

All the prc components- brass, 156eol, dies, unicorn dust powder are going to be tough to source for the near future.
All the 284 components are available, lapua and peterson brass, regular old gunpowder like h4350, h4831sc, unpopular 168 gr bergers
In the age of range finders and accurate dialing scopes choosing a cartridge that's 2 or 3 clicks flatter, less wind seems silly especially since no animals can tell the difference
Easier to find standard bolt tikkas for your build too
It's like that old saying, tripping over dollars to pick up dimes.

I already have a standard bolt face tikka and 284win lapis brass but was just starting to question if I should pivot to 6.5prc. Obviously the 284win is going to hand load only proposition, but I've got other rifles that I can feed factory ammo if needed.

I think you'll be pleased with either. Some things I would consider to makeup my mind.

Barrel length
Component availability
Bullet choice
BDL or DBM (284 has a rebated rim, PRC does not)
Personal factors (does one use a powder/bullet you already have on hand, etc)

All the prc components- brass, 156eol, dies, unicorn dust powder are going to be tough to source for the near future.
All the 284 components are available, lapua and peterson brass, regular old gunpowder like h4350, h4831sc, unpopular 168 gr bergers
In the age of range finders and accurate dialing scopes choosing a cartridge that's 2 or 3 clicks flatter, less wind seems silly especially since no animals can tell the difference
Easier to find standard bolt tikkas for your build too
It's like that old saying, tripping over dollars to pick up dimes.
You can use those powders too. If you want max performance out of the 284 you'll need unicorn dust as well. N560/565, H1000, RL26. The biggest issue is brass but that seems to be less of an issue lately. Heard people are finding it hear and there. Haven't looked personally. Heck if we really want to get nitty gritty then go 280AI for standard long action. Trumps both PRC and 284 and even less head ache finding brass. Powder is still a little concern I suppose. If I build another 7mm it'll be 280AI.

I already have a standard bolt face tikka and 284win lapis brass but was just starting to question if I should pivot to 6.5prc. Obviously the 284win is going to hand load only proposition, but I've got other rifles that I can feed factory ammo if needed.
I'd look at 284 sheshane then and be done with it. The PRC is a great round but I think you'll be fighting headaches. I got into the PRC early on and was already into 6.5's. I have all the right powders, brass, primers, and dies to make it work for a very very long time. If things calm down and you wish to play with a short magnum then it'd be worth looking at. I went with a bighorn action so I can swap heads from small to magnum base and cover any cartridge that will fit my action cut out.

I'd look at 284 sheshane then and be done with it. The PRC is a great round but I think you'll be fighting headaches. I got into the PRC early on and was already into 6.5's. I have all the right powders, brass, primers, and dies to make it work for a very very long time. If things calm down and you wish to play with a short magnum then it'd be worth looking at. I went with a bighorn action so I can swap heads from small to magnum base and cover any cartridge that will fit my action cut out.
Whatever gains he may get from fire forming likely blunted by running a shorter barrel mtn rifle. The guys at my range running shehanes are running 28-30" barrels

Whatever gains he may get from fire forming likely blunted by running a shorter barrel mtn rifle. The guys at my range running shehanes are running 28-30" barrels
I highly doubt it. 23-24 is not that short of a barrel. If he was running retumbo it might be an issue but doubtful. In the end the sheshane is a improvement, mainly is a little more capacity, and combined with the right powder it should net better results. Is it worth it? That's up the user, but it's a least worth a look.

I highly doubt it. 23-24 is not that short of a barrel. If he was running retumbo it might be an issue but doubtful. In the end the sheshane is a improvement, mainly is a little more capacity, and combined with the right powder it should net better results. Is it worth it? That's up the user, but it's a least worth a look.
No- fire forming brass for 25-50fps is not worth it