6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

Of all things I have a Meopta meostar 4-16x44 Mcwhorter reticle scope that is set up for .264 projectiles of .612 bc at 3225 fps. I want to take this savage 7mm mag I have and make switch barrel to 6.5-300 win mag 1:8 twist where I can load for both 7mm mag and 6.5-300 win mag and use the same scope.
I'd be interested in seeing that article. My 264 WMI is throated for the 156 EOL and it shoots those fantastically. I was planning to shoot the 150ABLR as a better constructed bullet. I have not loaded any up so I'd like to see the article before I do. My reamer was set up to seat 156 EOL @ 3.550 with .194 freebore.
If I were you I would go 1-7 or 1-7.5 minimum , if your worried about spinning the jackets off go too a Bartlien 5r cut rifle Barrel, instead of the 6 groove button rifle .The 5r is easier on the jackets as the bullet enters the lands . I have a 1-7.5 6.5prc Bartlien and a 1-8 Proof 6 groove there is a difference but either would work with a 1-7.5 , I wish from what I know now they would be 1-7 and 1-7.5 .The 6.5-300 will be interesting keep us informed.

If I were you I would go 1-7 or 1-7.5 minimum , if your worried about spinning the jackets off go too a Bartlien 5r cut rifle Barrel, instead of the 6 groove button rifle .The 5r is easier on the jackets as the bullet enters the lands . I have a 1-7.5 6.5prc Bartlien and a 1-8 Proof 6 groove there is a difference but either would work with a 1-7.5 , I wish from what I know now they would be 1-7 and 1-7.5 .The 6.5-300 will be interesting keep us informed.
Almost all of my barrels are cut rifled 5R rifling. I agree with your statement.

I've never done any necking down on cases yut yea, adg 7 mag would be pretty good stuff to use...
Also run the prc in a medium or long action and get the real performance out of it...

If I don't see the performance I want from a prc, I'll be going back to a 264. I will never not have one in the safe
Why not split the difference and go with a 6.5 saum?
Good barrel life and right on the heels of the 264 wm.

You mean seated out like this? And improved too? And even set up to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt?View attachment 339255View attachment 339256

Oh those horrible belts. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand the hate for the belt. Yeah I guess the fat belt less cartridges look sexier but I'm not sure they shoot any better.

View attachment 339257
Actually I don't hate them.. I just like to tease people. I own a Browning White Gold Medallion 7mm Rem Magnum and Winchester model 70 in 7mm Remington Magnum I've had since 1978. I do think it could be updated without the belt now. .I don't think it would need it with our better metal and technologies. Both of mine shoot very well.

A childish quip is not an answer to the question.

How much gain in velocity are you getting with the PRC over the .264wm?
now Ive been reading up since my last piost.And every thing I read about the 264 Win Mag is Short Barrel life..Excessive Recoild..Factory Rifles have both excessive throat erosion and a low twist Hamstrings the 264 Win Mag.... So to just put it plain..You have to buy another barrel to put on your 264 Win Mag to be able to shoot heavy bullets..
When compared equally with 143 gr Hornady bullets the 6.5 PRC beats the 264 Win Mag by 100 FPS..I got this straight out of Hornadys Reloading Book.
The other literature all pretty much said the 264 was..and I quote..HAMSTRUNG by the short Throat and slow Twist rate.And Being Barrel Burner.
They all also went on to say the reason the 264 Win Mag pretty much died was because of the 7mm Rem Mag bested it in every category and it just laid the 264 to Rest.
Now with better machines and technology the 264 Win mag and longer Throated barrels and faster twists it starting to mag a small come back by the Die Hards.
the 264 Win Mag comes close if you put a custom barrel on a factory rifle.But still NO CIGAR..
shooting a 143 Grain Hornady ELD-X the 264 Win Mag hit 3050 fps and the 6.5 PRC 3150 shooting exact same Hornady 143 DELD-X..Numbers Dont Lie as said before..Thats all I have to say on the subject.Enjoyed the debate Wild Rose

Last edited:
now Ive been reading up since my last piost.And every thing I read about the 264 Win Mag is Short Barrel life..Excessive Recoild..Factory Rifles have both excessive throat erosion and a low twist Hamstrings the 264 Win Mag.... So to just put it plain..You have to buy another barrel to put on your 264 Win Mag to be able to shoot heavy bullets..
When compared equally with 143 gr Hornady bullets the 6.5 PRC beats the 264 Win Mag by 100 FPS..I got this straight out of Hornadys Reloading Book.
The other literature all pretty much said the 264 was..and I quote..HAMSTRUNG by the short Throat and slow Twist rate.And Being Barrel Burner.
They all also went on to say the reason the 264 Win Mag pretty much died was because of the 7mm Rem Mag bested it in every category and it just laid the 264 to Rest.
Now with better machines and technology the 264 Win mag and longer Throated barrels and faster twists it starting to mag a small come back by the Die Hards.
the 264 Win Mag comes close if you put a custom barrel on a factory rifle.But still NO CIGAR..
shooting a 143 Grain Hornady ELD-X the 264 Win Mag hit 3050 fps and the 6.5 PRC 3150 shooting exact same Hornady 143 DELD-X..Numbers Dont Lie as said before..Thats all I have to say on the subject.Enjoyed the debate Wild Rose
Hornady is peddling the 6.5PRC and nobody else seems to be able to produce the same results.

All you're actually showing here is that a .264wm throated to modern standards is still going to be an extremely viable option.

There's nothing to suggest throat erosion is going to be more of a problem with the wm case than the PRC case in rifles that are throated equally shooting the same bullets.

Even if Hornady's numbers prove to be true, at best you're looking at less than a 100fps with the PRC over the WM.

Looking at sources other than Hornady that is a very small difference at best.

No game animal is ever going to notice the difference and out to a thousand yards it won't make any significant difference either. With either one you're just going to dial in the necessary dope to get to whatever range you're shooting at.

Having some considerable experience with 6.5's and especially the .375 Ruger case I'm going to call the claim of higher velocities to be rather dubious until I can see them consistently proven by third party sources doing apples to apples comparisons.

Again, if I were building a factory 6.5 or buying a factory rifle and had to choose between the two I'd still favor the PRC for all the reasons I stated but there's no magical superiority over the .264WM. They are essentially ballistic twins.

Last edited:
Hornady is peddling the 6.5PRC and nobody else seems to be able to produce the same results.

All you're actually showing here is that a .264wm throated to modern standards is still going to be an extremely viable option.

There's nothing to suggest throat erosion is going to be more of a problem with the wm case than the PRC case in rifles that are throated equally shooting the same bullets.

Even if Hornady's numbers prove to be true, at best you're looking at less than a 100fps with the PRC over the WM.

No game animal is ever going to notice the difference and out to a thousand yards it won't make any significant difference either. With either one you're just going to dial in the necessary dope to get to whatever range you're shooting at.

Having some considerable experience with 6.5's and especially the .375 Ruger case I'm going to call the claim of higher velocities to be rather dubious until I can see them consistently proven by third party sources doing apples to apples comparisons.

Again, if I were building a factory 6.5 or buying a factory rifle and had to choose between the two I'd still favor the PRC for all the reasons I stated but there's no magical superiority over the .264WM. They are essentially ballistic twins.
And A LONGER LASTING BARREL after you have to replace the first barrel because it wont cut the mustard.
What really happened to the Demise of the 264 Win Mag was the 7mm Remington Magnum. And you never see a 264 Win Mag competing any any of the Long Range Competitions. Why is that if its only 100 FPS Slower.
I didnt get all the information out of Hornadys..I also read it in John Snow and David Emerys OUTDOOR LIFE, Phil Massaros Rifle Shooter Magazine, Jordan Sillars Meat Eater..Even famous writer Ron Spoomer places the 6.5 PRC over the 264 Win Mag. Id say he knows more about than either you or me.I admitt that the 264 is just one click behind the New 6.5 PRC..But George Gardner knew there was a hole top fill by making filling it with the 6.5 PRC.
I aint got anything against the 264 Win Mag.Not even the Outdated Belted Magnum case...since Im own one myself in the 7mm Rem Mag..That cartridge is really why the 264 win mag fell down in popularity.The 7mm Rem Mag just out did it in every genre. Both the 264 Win Mag and the 7mm Rem Mag kick too **** hard to really enjoy target shooting for myself.

Recent Posts