6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

The ^.5 PRC is the new Technology.. The old Belted 264 Win Mag is Old.. I would not want to fool with a belted cartridge. Much less a Magnum Cartridge. .The 264 Win Mag was good in its day.. But our ammo and barrels have come a Long ways .I would doubt if a person could buy a 264 Win Mag off the shelf and even come close to the 6.5 PRC .
1st thing the 264 would need to bere4tapped to accept a longer bullet to compete. Then the Belted case..Mo
There are alot of people who love it..Just like the 7mm Rem Mag..KIts also a belted Magnum. .Its slipping away though..I own a 7mm Rem Mag.When I bought my 1st in the mid 1977's because it was the biggest,
Whether its Fad, Form or Function or just Performance.. If a person wants to see what out shoots what.. Check out the list of top shooters in ELR.. and who is shooting which cartridge. The 6.5 PRC will be in the top 10..I dont remember seeing the 264 Win Mag even making the list anywhere. I could be wrong but I just read it about 10 days ago.
Final thoughts..it todays world we breed Faster Horses,Build Faster Cars and better guns and faster and better ammo with better BC's and better Powder..So its really not that hard of choice.. IMO ..Numbers dont lie.
"Magnum Cartridge" is nothing but marketing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with belted cases, it's all about hype and marketing.

I recognize the PRC's and other non belted "magnums" are the wave of the future but it certainly isn't due to any inferiority on the part of the "belted magnums".

The ^.5 PRC is the new Technology.. The old Belted 264 Win Mag is Old.. I would not want to fool with a belted cartridge. Much less a Magnum Cartridge. .The 264 Win Mag was good in its day.. But our ammo and barrels have come a Long ways .I would doubt if a person could buy a 264 Win Mag off the shelf and even come close to the 6.5 PRC .
1st thing the 264 would need to bere4tapped to accept a longer bullet to compete. Then the Belted case..Mo
There are alot of people who love it..Just like the 7mm Rem Mag..KIts also a belted Magnum. .Its slipping away though..I own a 7mm Rem Mag.When I bought my 1st in the mid 1977's because it was the biggest,
Whether its Fad, Form or Function or just Performance.. If a person wants to see what out shoots what.. Check out the list of top shooters in ELR.. and who is shooting which cartridge. The 6.5 PRC will be in the top 10..I dont remember seeing the 264 Win Mag even making the list anywhere. I could be wrong but I just read it about 10 days ago.
Final thoughts..it todays world we breed Faster Horses,Build Faster Cars and better guns and faster and better ammo with better BC's and better Powder..So its really not that hard of choice.. IMO ..Numbers dont lie.

Just how much edge in velocity in apples to apples comparisons does the PRC have over the WM?

In light weight bullets the prc will equal and maybe surpass the 264 but in heavy weight bullets with the same twist is where the 264 will shine over the prc. Overbore and more powder always works better with heavier bullets. And the analogy of elr competition and the 264 might have a little merit, in the fact that smaller cases are easier to tune, barrels will last longer, new and more efficient cases are the band wagon. Butt in hunting more velocity and a little less precision is always going to be preferred so in competition the prc may have a little edge, in hunting the 264 will still be the bastard child that rules!

In light weight bullets the prc will equal and maybe surpass the 264 but in heavy weight bullets with the same twist is where the 264 will shine over the prc. Overbore and more powder always works better with heavier bullets. And the analogy of elr competition and the 264 might have a little merit, in the fact that smaller cases are easier to tune, barrels will last longer, new and more efficient cases are the band wagon. Butt in hunting more velocity and a little less precision is always going to be preferred so in competition the prc may have a little edge, in hunting the 264 will still be the bastard child that rules!
That's why I shoot the 6.5LRM and why my next 6.5 will be a straight 375 Ruger Necked down to 6.5mm or 6.5-375 Ruger/6.5-300PRC. 97gr H2O useable case capacity.

Should shoot the 140's at around 3550-3600fps.😂

I just want to take the 300 win mag case and neck it down and improve it to get the Hornady 143 eld-x into the 3150-3200 node range and be able to stabilize the Berger 156 eol's. Still get a little barrel life lol. But more power to you 3500 with the 143 eld-x's would be coooll!

I just want to take the 300 win mag case and neck it down and improve it to get the Hornady 143 eld-x into the 3150-3200 node range and be able to stabilize the Berger 156 eol's. Still get a little barrel life lol. But more power to you 3500 with the 143 eld-x's would be coooll!
We've had a couple of members here do that over the years 6.5-300wm.

I just like the .375 Ruger case better and it has both more capacity and a more efficient burn.

The 6.5LRM will shoot 140's at 3,400fps with cloverleaf accuracy. I expect going back to the parent case will add at least 100-200fps with the same fairly conservative loads pressure wise.

I can't remember offhand what velocities the 6.5-300wm was getting but I believe it was around 3250fps shooting 140's with no pressure signs at all.

Here's one of the threads where the 6.5-300wm was discussed.

Of all things I have a Meopta meostar 4-16x44 Mcwhorter reticle scope that is set up for .264 projectiles of .612 bc at 3225 fps. I want to take this savage 7mm mag I have and make switch barrel to 6.5-300 win mag 1:8 twist where I can load for both 7mm mag and 6.5-300 win mag and use the same scope.

Of all things I have a Meopta meostar 4-16x44 Mcwhorter reticle scope that is set up for .264 projectiles of .612 bc at 3225 fps. I want to take this savage 7mm mag I have and make switch barrel to 6.5-300 win mag 1:8 twist where I can load for both 7mm mag and 6.5-300 win mag and use the same scope.

Just keep in mind you'll probably have very different ballistic profiles for the two rounds and would then probably need to do some testing at hundred yard increments to see how close the subtensions are for each making yourself a good data sheet for each of them.

Yes I figured they might be a little different but with the right bullets and loads I can probably ge them very close to each other. That will be some of the fun of it.

I picked the .264 WM over PRC and WSM. My .264 WM has 26" 5R 1:7" specifically built for the 156 Berger. It is what "I" wanted, whether it is popular or not or made to some listing.
On your 264WM do you know what freebore was cut in you barrel. What you have is what I'm thinking also and I will run the 142LRAB and if I recall Bryan Litz wrote a short article about them and some of the other LRAB and they needed something like a 1-7.5 for full stability on the 142's. I think the 1-8 was just at the ragged edge for full stability on those 142's.

On your 264WM do you know what freebore was cut in you barrel. What you have is what I'm thinking also and I will run the 142LRAB and if I recall Bryan Litz wrote a short article about them and some of the other LRAB and they needed something like a 1-7.5 for full stability on the 142's. I think the 1-8 was just at the ragged edge for full stability on those 142's.
SAAMI spec.

I'd be interested in seeing that article. My 264 WMI is throated for the 156 EOL and it shoots those fantastically. I was planning to shoot the 150ABLR as a better constructed bullet. I have not loaded any up so I'd like to see the article before I do. My reamer was set up to seat 156 EOL @ 3.550 with .194 freebore.