6.5 PRC issues

So to understand what you did, you shot 30 rounds through the rifle as your break in and cleaned it every 5 shots during the first 20 firings and after the 4th cleaning during the next ten you saw bolt closure problems in 1/2 of the remaining 10 rounds. Is that correct? Did the cleaning seem to help with the bolt closure problems at all? Were the bullets themselves getting scratched after attempting to chamber them?
Correct. That was my intentions. I shot it once cleaned. Shot 3 cleaned. Shot 5 cleaned. Shot 5 more cleaned. I stopped shooting the factory when I found I couldn't close the bolt on them and a few had heavy bolt lift. The ones that won't chamber have marks on the shoulder. Cleaning did not help with chambering problems.

I then took the 30 fired cases and pulled the bullets from the remaining 10 that wouldn't chamber and sized them bumping the shoulder back. Loaded them with the recommended starting charge and increased .5 grain until I got pressure signs. Ejector marks and heavy bolt lift. That was .5 grain above starting charge with 160 ab. Velocity less than what I can get out of a regular 7 mag. I tried 168 vld and had the same results. I've tried from .002 off the lands all the way back to .030. Nothing changed. I have cleaned it every 20 or so shots. It has 100 rounds or so through it.

I ran the bore scope down it and there wasn't a carbon ring like the op. I have seen worse in my other rifles. I cleaned it and scrubbed it good anyways. There are a few rough marks in the chamber like a chip didn't get cleaned out when they cut it.

So to understand what you did, you shot 30 rounds through the rifle as your break in and cleaned it every 5 shots during the first 20 firings and after the 4th cleaning during the next ten you saw bolt closure problems in 1/2 of the remaining 10 rounds. Is that correct? Did the cleaning seem to help with the bolt closure problems at all? Were the bullets themselves getting scratched after attempting to chamber them?
Correct. That was my intentions. I shot it once cleaned. Shot 3 cleaned. Shot 5 cleaned. Shot 5 more cleaned. I stopped shooting the factory when I found I couldn't close the bolt on them and a few had heavy bolt lift. The ones that won't chamber have marks on the shoulder. Cleaning did not help with chambering problems.

I then took the 30 fired cases and pulled the bullets from the remaining 10 that wouldn't chamber and sized them bumping the shoulder back. Loaded them with the recommended starting charge and increased .5 grain until I got pressure signs. Ejector marks and heavy bolt lift. That was .5 grain above starting charge with 160 ab. Velocity less than what I can get out of a regular 7 mag. I tried 168 vld and had the same results. I've tried from .002 off the lands all the way back to .030. Nothing changed. I have cleaned it every 20 or so shots. It has 100 rounds or so through it.

I ran the bore scope down it and there wasn't a carbon ring like the op. I have seen worse in my other rifles. I cleaned it and scrubbed it good anyways There are a few rough marks in the chamber like a chip didn't get cleaned out when they cut it.

I ran the bore scope down it and there wasn't a carbon ring like the op. I have seen worse in my other rifles. I cleaned it and scrubbed it good anyways. There are a few rough marks in the chamber like a chip didn't get cleaned out when they cut it.

Clearly not a powder fouling issue, rather a problem with chip galling. Sloppy manufacturing. They need to rebarrel the gun after making sure the chamber is smooth

Clearly not a powder fouling issue, rather a problem with chip galling. Sloppy manufacturing. They need to rebarrel the gun after making sure the chamber is smooth
Most likely it will be taking a trip to LRI with a barrel that I pick out and pay for.😆

obviously there is a carbon ring that is causing issues, but have you ever tried any other ammo ? I have seen 2 different Bergara rifles show excessive pressures using factory 143 eld-x ammo even to the point of blowing a primer. Personally I haven't had any issues with either of my 6.5prc in factory ammo or reloads and I also shoot suppressed.
The first box I shot was 147 eld-m the rest 143 eld-x that's all I have

The first box I shot was 147 eld-m the rest 143 eld-x that's all I have
The bullet weight is not likely an issue. With a thorough carbon cleaning and bore scope afterwards you will have a better understanding of what is going on in that throat. It could be a chip galling problem causing scratched area in the throat prone to accumulating a carbon ring. I saw a muzzle brake that did not have the first baffle fit just right with respect to the muzzle that made a very obvious carbon ring at thst spot.

OP, at this point I don't believe you owe anyone further explanation. Let us know how CA deals with your issues and legitimate problems. Will be very interested to see if their after sales customer service has materially improved from the previous versions I have read about.

Last edited: