6.5 prc elk bullet poll!

What elk bullet?

• Total voters
I have had good results with the Berger 156 shoot 3/4 inch at 200 yds. But it looks like Hammer 124 are winning this pole. I have not loaded the Hammer bullets but it looks like the 131 would be a better choice if you are shooting a 6.5 PRC with 1:7.5 twist. I am always trying to improve my mouse trap so was think I would load a few and see how they shoot. Any one will to share load data with these two Hammers?
The 124 gr 58.9 grs N560 cci200 26 in barrel 3390 fps 58.9 grs start at 56 grs and work up . That worked in my rifle , be careful in yours . The 131 gr 57.3 grs N165 3180 fps , cci250 mag . I m changing that load but haven't yet too N560 and cci 200s. Start low and work up . Seat .030 off lands .2 differ rifles 1-8 and 1-7.5 twist.

Curious how a bear skull would translate to a bone. Cool test though! I have to think it would be a lot denser than any part of the shoulder. Maybe a leg bone? Do you have a picture?
Small round hole is where the bullet came to rest. A bear front shoulder bone is way tougher than this 1/4 inch thick portion of the skull.

Attachments

• 20221028_085223.jpg
    20221028_085223.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 168
ELD m's are not a hunting bullet that is unethical and totally wrong have a nice day
Wrong forum man…

The 225 eld m also happens to be the hammer of Thor in my .300 winny. Different bullets for different applications.

"Premium" hunting bullets used on thin skinned light framed game for example can be waaaaaaaay more cruel.

Wrong forum man…

The 225 eld m also happens to be the hammer of Thor in my .300 winny. Different bullets for different applications.

"Premium" hunting bullets used on thin skinned light framed game for example can be waaaaaaaay more cruel.
I thought he was being sarcastic? Especially with his name? The eldm might be the best bullet ever made for mule deer.

ALL bullets fail....at some point. I have yet to see the proverbial 'Holy Grail' bullet that performs well at all times, in all situations, at all distances and at all velocities. Until it does, it is the responsibility of the hunter to choose the best possible bullet that is most likely to perform well in the situations he believes he will most likely encounter. There is no "do all" bullet, yet. Fortunately for us, hunters have never had more excellent choices for bullets providing lethal performance than they have right now.

Last edited:
ALL bullets fail....at some point. I have yet to see the proverbial 'Holy Grail' bullet that performs well at all times, in all situations, at all distances and at all velocities. Until it does, it is the responsibility of the hunter to choose the best possible bullet that is most likely to perform well in the situations he believes he will most likely encounter. There is no "do all" bullet, yet. Fortunately for us, hunters have never had more excellent choices for bullets providing lethal performance thana they have right now.
Pretty much. Just like broadheads. Shoot one in the shoulder and I'll take a small fixed blade. Shoot one in the gut and I'll take a BIG mechanical. Double lung, it doesn't matter.

Bullets are about the same…

Small round hole is where the bullet came to rest. A bear front shoulder bone is way tougher than this 1/4 inch thick portion of the skull.
On the flip side I do know what a 124gr hammer will do to the front of a bear skull at 3000 fps impact. The 122gr Lehigh Chaos I also shot it with diagonally penetrated from just in front of the back leg to just behind the back leg through the spine and still exited.

D4EFBC09-9CAA-499C-B4DD-DEBDDA7316F7.jpeg