6.5 PRC Build

And Aaron says the 6.5x284 is still better ballistically.

Ballistically, I don't see how you could tell a difference between the two, the only two variables that matter are the B.C. of the bullet and velocity. If you shoot the same bullet out of both at the same velocity how could one be better than the other?

This might be a tad off subject but do you guys remember when GA brought out the 6.5 SAUM? My God! You would've thought that Jesus himself bestowed that cartridge on us. It was the greatest hunting round ever devised. Now we have, for all intents and purposes, the same round available in factory loadings and factory rifles and the man himself as said that he originally wanted to use this case rather than the SAUM case and yet now everyone acts like it's a pointless, useless endeavor. Seems weird?

Ballistically, I don't see how you could tell a difference between the two, the only two variables that matter are the B.C. of the bullet and velocity. If you shoot the same bullet out of both at the same velocity how could one be better than the other?

This might be a tad off subject but do you guys remember when GA brought out the 6.5 SAUM? My God! You would've thought that Jesus himself bestowed that cartridge on us. It was the greatest hunting round ever devised. Now we have, for all intents and purposes, the same round available in factory loadings and factory rifles and the man himself as said that he originally wanted to use this case rather than the SAUM case and yet now everyone acts like it's a pointless, useless endeavor. Seems weird?
Fads in this industry come and go like prairie thunderstorms and very few last more than about five years.

Those with staying power have both major firearms and ammunition makers standing behind them when they do.

Remington and Winchester used to be the leaders in both but that time seems to be fading.

I am a long range steel/paper punching guy that gets out for a hunt or two a year but I actually shoot and I shoot almost every week. I love that aspect of our sport... the shooting part Reading all these posts by people bashing the PRC and spending sooo much time doing it is the reason I don't spend time reading too much of this stuff... I hate the elitism of "mine's better than yours" or "I'm smarter/better than you", or "I hate the hype behind this company" (or fill in the blank... cartridge, brass, etc...) it's all garbage. If you're so bugged about it why are you spending so much time in the forum labeled 6.5PRC!!! Give me a break. If you're looking through such a narrow straw that you can't see any value in this round you're probably not happy with much I would imagine.

I own a 6.5 PRC because of a few reasons:

A-short action. I went with a Wyatt's internal box so I can shoot to 2.995" (minus .025" for hunting round) so I can shoot the longer bullets and hopefully the Berger 156 in a short action in a just over 7lb gun (w/o scope) when/if they ever come out.

B-I bought a Proof carbon barrel (only 6.5x284 barrel proof made is 28" and not in a pre fit) in a savage pre fit in a bighorn SR3 action so I don't have to wait on gunsmiths for sometimes well over a year and can shoot out as many barrels as I want without fear of depression from my haha ... (side rant... I can already hear the boos coming from something so low as a savage pre fit... which some of these guns are setting world records with NO MODIFICATIONS. I know, I'm a savage peasant...

C-components (brass, dies, barrel manufacturers, etc.. 6.5PRC will end up being every bit as solid as the 6.5-284... even better from this aspect is possible... think... Lapua jumped on the 6.5 CM and the 6CM and the PRC is way better in almost every way in my opinion... you're welcome to yours. The fact that Hornady is behind it is a plus to me because I know it won't go the way of the dinosaurs and the rig I spent 4K+ building might have some value if I had to sell it or if I'm swapping out anything on it.
D-I don't mind the fact that it's popular. I have four Creedmoor (6.5-6) and I don't care that most guys below my "shooter status " have them as well. I get my fulfillment from dialing in a tight load on a gun I thought long and hard and spent a bunch of my time to put together or shooting something I worked hard for... not from posting on a long range site where I can be critical (I'm a hypocrite and I know it... I'm willingly doing it right now) of people that are less in status than myself.

You haters are as welcomed to your opinions as me or anybody else but I'm sick and tired of seeing all these types snipers solve the worlds problems by reminding the rest of us that you truly have all the answers.

The fact is whether you like it or not, get ready for a whole lot more hype on the PRC... it shoots awesome and the line of willing supporters is more tha. Lining up and so much quicker than they did for the Creedmoor.
I hope that you're not so offended you stop letting the rest of us mere 3MOA guys know of your superior intellect (guess that movie ).

Nothing, and the same goes if you flip the script...That is my point. The PRC was irrelevant before Hornady ever "created" it. Their new marketing strategy is to make solutions for nonexistent problems. It is 100% manufactured hype. That's how modern sales works, because thanks to social media programming and technology, people these days have the memory capacity of a dementia patient, and the attention span of a squirrel.

I disagree, does your 6.5x284 shoot a 147g ELD-M at 3050fps with very good SDs/ES?
Both calibers will reload very well and produce low SD's, that's not my argument, and no I'm not a fps speed chaser..but..if your are starting from a fresh build and don't have reloading components for either caliber, why not invest in the one that performs slightly better in the wind at long distances.

Ok, I stand corrected, Savage does chamber rifles in 6.5x284 Norma. But I think my point is still valid, Hornady wants people to be able to buy ammo and guns over the counter and go shoot long range and with past wildcat cartridges there is too much liability because of the variability in past versions of the round.

Listen to this podcast:
https://www.gunwerks.com/blogs/podcast/is-the-new-6-5-prc-here-to-stay

The guys from Gunwerks talk about this issue related to thier 7mm LRM.

Listen to Aaron's comments. Even though he has Hornady as a sponsor, he implies that the 6.5-284 is as good as or better than the 6.5 PRC. They've done a lot of research and development and I trust his judgment on the subject. He reaffirmed to me that the 6.5-284 has the edge on the 6.5 PRC. Now the 300 PRC is out and Hornady is doing a big marketing push for it to fill the so called "void" between 300WM and 300RUM.

L
Listen to Aaron's comments. Even though he has Hornady as a sponsor, he implies that the 6.5-284 is as good as or better than the 6.5 PRC. They've done a lot of research and development and I trust his judgment on the subject. He reaffirmed to me that the 6.5-284 has the edge on the 6.5 PRC. Now the 300 PRC is out and Hornady is doing a big marketing push for it to fill the so called "void" between 300WM and 300RUM.
feel free to linked in me... I own insurance agencies and wish I had a sponsor by Hornady because they're a great company. Get over yourself... nobody on this whole post has said your precious 6.5x284 (I have one as well duh duh duh) wasn't an amazing round. It's stood the test of time so what. I have tons of guns and they all serve a purpose. You guys all crack me up. Somebody has an opinion and they're all of the sudden sponsored by that company... I love it

I disagree, does your 6.5x284 shoot a 147g ELD-M at 3050fps with very good SDs/ES?
Both calibers will reload very well and produce low SD's, that's not my argument, and no I'm not a fps speed chaser..but..if your are starting from a fresh build and don't have reloading components for either caliber, why not invest in the one that performs slightly better in the wind at long distances.
The 6.5x284 Norma will shoot a 147 at 3,050. Hell, a .260 AI will shoot a 140 at 3,000 FPS on average.

And also, it doesn't matter what cartridge pushes the bullet, if the bullet is pushed to the same velocity, it will perform in the wind the same at every distance.

The 6.5/284 Norma and 6.5 PRC are so close in performance that arguing over which is better is like the Medieval debate over how many angels can stand on the head of a pin.

I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor. Were it available I would have bought it in 6.5 PRC for its greater power at distance B/C I live in Nevada were that can be important. Instead I'll find a hand load for the 6.5 CM with the combination of speed and sub MOA accuracy. And I'll limit myself to 600 yards on deer sized game.

Why not the 6.5 /284 Norma? Because I feel that the eventually the 6.5 PRC will be a cartridge that other companies pick up as well and it will become more available than the 6.54/284 Norma.

Eric B.
P.S. If you are going to shoot either of these cartridges for extending barrel life with these "barrel burners" I recommend you begin coating your bullets with HBN powder (in a tumbler) for longer barrel life. See David Tubbs' site and the "Long Range Only" site for more details and instructions on use. You tube has both of these.

L

feel free to linked in me... I own insurance agencies and wish I had a sponsor by Hornady because they're a great company. Get over yourself... nobody on this whole post has said your precious 6.5x284 (I have one as well duh duh duh) wasn't an amazing round. It's stood the test of time so what. I have tons of guns and they all serve a purpose. You guys all crack me up. Somebody has an opinion and they're all of the sudden sponsored by that company... I love it
I was responding to another post about which was Aaron's comments. So, I'm not understanding the context of what you're trying to imply. I don't G.A.S. either.

The 6.5x284 Norma will shoot a 147 at 3,050. Hell, a .260 AI will shoot a 140 at 3,000 FPS on average.

And also, it doesn't matter what cartridge pushes the bullet, if the bullet is pushed to the same velocity, it will perform in the wind the same at every distance.
Not that it matters just a whole lot but the PRC was developed specifically to run the 140 class bullets at 3150fps to meet the high end numbers allowed under the new PRC format.

Not that it matters just a whole lot but the PRC was developed specifically to run the 140 class bullets at 3150fps to meet the high end numbers allowed under the new PRC format.
I know, I was just explaining the flaw in his logic and reasoning for picking the 6.5 PRC over the 6.5x284. Facts are facts, doesn't matter what cartridge pushes a bullet, if 2 push the same bullet to the same velocity, it's going to have the same ballistics.

I love 6.5 mm rifles! that being said, I have had or have now (3) 6.5 creeds. (2) 260's, (4) 6.5 rem mags, (2)264 win's, (2)6.5/284's, a 6.5PRC, a 6.5/06 and a 26 Nosler. The 6.5 caliber is amazingly versatile. This caliber can fill any role of shooting or hunting in North America regardless of chambering! Left up to me, (hard choice) I would pick? Crap!, any of the above. If you like blondes, red heads or brunettes, they are all great! Now pick 1 or all of them and be happy.

I love 6.5 mm rifles! that being said, I have had or have now (3) 6.5 creeds. (2) 260's, (4) 6.5 rem mags, (2)264 win's, (2)6.5/284's, a 6.5PRC, a 6.5/06 and a 26 Nosler. The 6.5 caliber is amazingly versatile. This caliber can fill any role of shooting or hunting in North America regardless of chambering! Left up to me, (hard choice) I would pick? Crap!, any of the above. If you like blondes, red heads or brunettes, they are all great! Now pick 1 or all of them and be happy.
I for one think the rebirth of the 6.5's in the US market has been pheneomenal but when you get right down to it no one has as yet improved on the .264wm in any real sense.

Yes you can go faster with the 26N but at a very high price. No, it won't fit in a short action but who cares? The difference in a short and long action is no more than a few ounces and most of the newer 6.5's really do need a LA to take full advantage of the longer/heavier bullets and to maximize their use with case capacity.

The only thing that ever really hurt the .264wm was lower quality barrel steel and Remington doing a great job marketing the 7RM. Probably the last thing Remington actually got right with respect to marketing a new cartridge.