6.5 PRC Build

Ok, I stand corrected, Savage does chamber rifles in 6.5x284 Norma. But I think my point is still valid, Hornady wants people to be able to buy ammo and guns over the counter and go shoot long range and with past wildcat cartridges there is too much liability because of the variability in past versions of the round.

Listen to this podcast:
https://www.gunwerks.com/blogs/podcast/is-the-new-6-5-prc-here-to-stay

The guys from Gunwerks talk about this issue related to thier 7mm LRM.
And Aaron says the 6.5x284 is still better ballistically.

I've heard it tons of times. Hell, I've heard it from people I know... I was shocked at how they got played by someone dumber than them. Made me have to reevaluate them as a friend, because I thought they were smarter than that.

Hell, I once heard a kid in the same gun store talking to another fellow "scholar" about how he wanted a .300WM so he could shoot deer at long range..."You know, like, 400 yards..." All I could do was dart my eyes towards the salesman behind the counter (a friend of mine) who was trying not to laugh, and then look down shaking my head.
Those are the kind of reactions that keep kids from learning. Rather than laugh and shake your head, do the right thing and help him. Education is never a bad thing.

Takes about 57.5g of H1000 which is definitely not overdoing it in the case, so far I've gotten five reloads to with hornady brass and still going
Finally someone has said this! Hornady is not bad brass. Is it $1.25/case Lapua, NO it isn't. I'v been doing this reloading thing, since late '80's and mentored by the "Old Timer" shooters, any brass you beat up will not last long?!
You want a "Top Fuel" speed bullet, use a bigger cartridge. I'm in the automotive business and the saying is always true "There's no replacement for displacement" and "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?".

Do what you want. Freedom of Choice. Make your own road. If it works out, fine, if not, try something different.

AGREE 100%, I'm 2 loading's into the beautiful Alpha Brass and already have loose primer pockets. This was with 42.4gr H4350.

If you want 3500 FPS out of a 6.5 get a 6.5-300, not a 6.5 Creedmoor overflowing with powder.

just my HO.
Finally someone has said this! Hornady is not bad brass. Is it $1.25/case Lapua, NO it isn't. I'v been doing this reloading thing, since late '80's and mentored by the "Old Timer" shooters, any brass you beat up will not last long?!
You want a "Top Fuel" speed bullet, use a bigger cartridge. I'm in the automotive business and the saying is always true "There's no replacement for displacement" and "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?".

Do what you want. Freedom of Choice. Make your own road. If it works out, fine, if not, try something different.

Hornady Hype! They are cloning the 6.5-284 and 6.5 Remington magnum with no advantages over either. Touting cheap hornady brass that really sucks. Hornady is the only brass source that I know of. The prc , I predict will be another flash in the pan in a couple of years. Go with a 6.5-284 with a solid reputation and a lot of match wins and quality reloading components that are already widely available. My 6.5-REM MAG and my 6.5-284 Norma are 3100fps with a 140g b
Bergers and are sub 1/2" moa shooters.

Hornady Hype! They are cloning the 6.5-284 and 6.5 Remington magnum with no advantages over either. Touting cheap hornady brass that really sucks. Hornady is the only brass source that I know of. The prc , I predict will be another flash in the pan in a couple of years. Go with a 6.5-284 with a solid reputation and a lot of match wins and quality reloading components that are already widely available. My 6.5-REM MAG and my 6.5-284 Norma are 3100fps with a 140g b
Bergers and are sub 1/2" moa shooters.

the PRC barrel life is what should set it apart from the chamberings you mentioned, as well as being a better option for people running competitions. none of the current overbore 6.5's are coming close to 2500-3000rounds per barrel.

Those are the kind of reactions that keep kids from learning. Rather than laugh and shake your head, do the right thing and help him. Education is never a bad thing.
Obviously you haven't dealt with much forum interaction... It's even worse in real life with these people. They don't want to learn from some stranger in a gun store, they'd rather hear it from one of their ******* friends, unfortunately, their ******* friends are who told them the BS in the first place, so like I say... Blind leading the blind, who don't want to see.

How do you figure that one, sports fan?
the case pressures, tapers, and shorter case length shorten the amount of time the throat is exposed to maximum heat. it's just enough pressure for just long enough to achieve speeds. that's really what this chambering was designed around. yes there are already chamberings that provide similar or better performance, but at the cost of much higher after pressures.

the case pressures, tapers, and shorter case length shorten the amount of time the throat is exposed to maximum heat. it's just enough pressure for just long enough to achieve speeds. that's really what this chambering was designed around. yes there are already chamberings that provide similar or better performance, but at the cost of much higher after pressures.
That's the chamber, not the barrel, that has those affects on the cartridge. You said the barrel specifically, as if a factory gun in 6.5 PRC has some sort of special or different barrel on it. I was just trying to make sure you were aware of the differences between barrels and chambers having those affects. Yes, chambers are part of the barrels, but the barrel is nothing more than a piece of steel with a bored and rifled hole in it.

That's the chamber, not the barrel, that has those affects on the cartridge. You said the barrel specifically, as if a factory gun in 6.5 PRC has some sort of special or different barrel on it. I was just trying to make sure you were aware of the differences between barrels and chambers having those affects. Yes, chambers are part of the barrels, but the barrel is nothing more than a piece of steel with a bored and rifled hole in it.

well when a barrel is shot out it's from the firecracking at the throat, which this case/chambering was designed to minimize. i was just saying "barrel life" as a colloquial term.

you saw it before I edited it to say "barrel life"
I see what happened now. I accidentally omitted that from my sentence and caught it a couple minutes after.
My bad, i see what you meant now

The PRC is not "better" than anything. Its new, its cool, if someone wants to build one, let them.

Nothing to argue about or prove here. Hell, if I just spent $5,000 on a 6.5-284, I'd dis the PRC too,

It always comes back to, "people love what THEY have". they aren't going to admit they F'ed up;)