6.5 PRC Build

Got to see a video of my PRC build cycling round today. 147 factory ammo for sure fits and feeds well from the accurate wsm mags but there's not much room left. I think you could get 2.965? Ish but it looks like not much more.

Got to see a video of my PRC build cycling round today. 147 factory ammo for sure fits and feeds well from the accurate wsm mags but there's not much room left. I think you could get 2.965? Ish but it looks like not much more.
2.95" is the max COAL Hornady shows so you're right in there with just enough room to spare it seems. Just don't throat it so deep you end up with too much freebore and you should be good to go.

Listen to Aaron's comments. Even though he has Hornady as a sponsor, he implies that the 6.5-284 is as good as or better than the 6.5 PRC. They've done a lot of research and development and I trust his judgment on the subject. He reaffirmed to me that the 6.5-284 has the edge on the 6.5 PRC. Now the 300 PRC is out and Hornady is doing a big marketing push for it to fill the so called "void" between 300WM and 300RUM.

It doesn't matter if God himself says it, if two rounds shoot the same bullet at the same speed how can you call one better than the other? To me the choice comes down to other factors like if you're building a custom or buying a factory rifle, do you reload, long action or short action, do you care about brass, do you want to run a magazine, those are the things to base your decision on. If you're only taking about ballistics you're wasting your time cause their isn't a big enough difference between the two and the difference will vary from barrel to barrel and rifle to rifle.

hi guys,
I tried a search on the topic and couldn't find any threads so appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Long story short, I've been planning and saving for a 6.5-284 build and now wonder about a 6.5 PRC instead.

Thoughts?

Where should I go for latter if that is best path?

Thanks,

Jeff

What is your intended use, shooting distance expectations, and rifle preferences/specs? Do you reload?
Thanks

I'm loving mine so far.

I'm still convinced it's all about what length action you have or want, then an edge to the prc if you don't reload.

Other than that, same thing. Building off a Tikka jus pick whichever bolt you have and roll with that.

I would like to add my two cents to this conversation as I am very interested in both the 6.5-284 and the 6.5 PRC and was really trying to get into this thread but instead I've listen to a bunch of people bash companies over trying to make money and I can't even go through all the list of things that is wrong with that I respect the people on this site, and there very knowledgeable and that's why I came here looking for information on these rounds, But instead my time was wasted listening to a bunch of BS

And no, nobody can go buy a box of ammo and a rifle over the counter and go shoot at 1000 yards. That is why I call it marketing HYPE! It's not realistic. They make you THINK it is, so you'll buy into their --------, and buy their products, but it's not. /QUOTE]

I can pretty much GUARANTEE you that I can go buy a Savage 10 or 110 (any large game hunting caliber) off the shelf and, after breaking in the barrel, hit consistently at 1000+ yards.