6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06 for Deer

Ok I could not stand to let this go on any longer without some actual ballistic numbers. I chose a ballistic pig for the 25-06, the 100g Partition. I chose a high bc bullwt for the Creed, the 142g ablr. I used published bc for both bullets and nosler load data for expected vel. I ran the numbers at standard atmosphere for 3000' elev with a 100y zero and a full value 10mph wind.

The 25-06 running at 3400fps will have 17.1" of drop and 11.3" of drift at 400y. At 600y it will have 56.4" of drop and 27.6" of drift.

The Creed at 2750fps has 26" of drop and 8.4" of drift at 400y. At 600y it has 77.1" of drop and 19.9" of drift.

Wind is the most difficult to deal with and at 400y we are only talking about a 3" wind advantage to the Creed and @ 600y the Creed has a 7.5" advantage in wind.

So in making this comparison as lobsided as I could the Creed is showing what I would call a significant advantage at about 600y.

I would say that at usable distances the Creed has no practicle advantage over the 25-06 ballistically but has a significant disadvantage in vel.

Steve

Last edited:
Lol you guys get a bit of snow and the world ends we get a few inches every night. Dec we got 6-8 every night.

Not enough recently. All that rain.. a week ago kind of put a damper on things in the lower for riding. Think we got 4 inches Tuesday morning just before I left TC, but sorely lacking enough snow!

I have been really thinking about it also, i need to look at twist rates for the hammers. That combo looks very good
We are headed out in the darkness a bit on this one. Doing a 6" twist and going to design a bullet for it that will be around 160g and about 2" long. We built 2 rifles with this reamer several years ago before we started making bullets. We did 7" twist and ran 128g bullets. We were unable to tame it enough for consistent performance. Burned both those fifles up trying to put the square peg in the round hole. Was a big factor in us deciding to make bullets ourselves. Learned a lot then so we have great data to take off with this time. There is some unknown when it comes to a bullet that long and skinny. Worst case we will be able to work with our 137g bullet. There was no bullet like that then.

Don't want to hijack this thread any more than it has been. Harperc is the owner of this project and it will be well documented here on LRH.

Steve

Steve are you talking about a 160gr .257 bullet or 6.5mm bullet?

If you're talking about a 2" long 160gr .257 bullet, that would be like the first steps into figuring out the rail gun. Might as well go caseless and ignitionless, and build the barrel from from Neodymium magnets built with Molybdenum powder between them, make the trigger be a circuit completion that sets it in motion (like the old Remington 700 EtronX trigger) and put the electric powerpack in the stock. LOL

Last edited:
Steve are you talking about a 160gr .257 bullet or 6.5mm bullet?

If you're talking about a 2" long 160gr .257 bullet, that would be like the first steps into figuring out the rail gun. Might as well go caseless and ignitionless, and build the barrel from from Neodymium magnets built with Molybdenum powder between them, and put the electricpower pack in the stock. LOL
Whichever, it may need a heat shield on it's nose!!!:D
This one could potentially both kill AND cook the "game".

I would really be tempted to rebarrel Again my .257 Roy for these longer rounds. I love my Roy so dearly it would sure wake it up but a 30" tube this time instead of 28".

I agree, that 128gr hammer hunter looks interesting

I don't give a crap what he has to say about HIS cartridge. Of course he's going to preach the "benefits" of his design...He's trying to sell you something. It's the car salesman method..."Mine is better than yours, and here's why..." That's what salesmen do.
I would like you to know George Gardner did the majority of design work on the 6.5 PRC, (6.5/300 RCM) for Hornady.