338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

I understand what your saying.
For me I still like the top holes. Even if the ports are shaped right I would think it still helps with muzzle rise.
As you said though. I have never felt like I needed the tops holes. Heck never shot the same brake were one had too hole one didn't so I'm also not sure it does help.

I understand what your saying.
For me I still like the top holes. Even if the ports are shaped right I would think it still helps with muzzle rise.
As you said though. I have never felt like I needed the tops holes. Heck never shot the same brake were one had too hole one didn't so I'm also not sure it does help.
I think it's a terminator brake on my one shooting partners rifle . the top holes on it are threaded . you can plug one or two , or all (not sure how many it has ) . I think it also had reducers to screw in, to down size the holes . I think if you needed top holes you would be able to tell from muzzle jump , loosing target picture . I assume a heavier rifle is less dependent on down pressure .

I think it was Alex Wheeler , I read a comment he made about how no top holes acted more calmly , or not as aggressive .

I've watched some slow mo of lighter barrels firing with top ports and it drastically flex's the barrel down. I also had a brake with top ports. when I switched barrels on that rifle I went to a different brake. I don't know if it affected accuracy at all but makes me feel better.
I've seen these slow mo videos too . it's eye opening how much flex is there .

Here are a couple of good reads regarding muzzle brakes:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/25/muzzle-brakes-ability-to-stay-on-target/#google_vignette

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/17/muzzle-brake-recoil-reduction/

https://www.range365.com/how-muzzle-brakes-work/

This is an extremely interesting slo-mo video:

And just for entertainment purposes, The Smuzzle, brought to you by the U.S. Army and our taxes:

And last but not least, the Howitzer brake:

M109G 155mm self-propelled howitzer

1644861665662.png

Now, the idea regarding the performance of a muzzle brake, whether it's a radial configuration or side discharge, is to release and redirect the the plasma (super heated gases from the burning gunpowder) in such a manor as to reduce recoil and retain as much of the original positioning (sight position) as possible.

There is a ton of information on the internet with and without videos of the testing done. There are two sets of test I'm aware of:

One using corn starch or baby powder with compressed air to demonstrate the blast pattern for several brakes.

Second is from a manufacturer using a sled device used to measure recoil from several brakes.

Last edited:
A guy on here had a thread with slow mo and brakes.It clearly showed the flex and torque on bedding.This was some time ago.Might been JE

Anything that light is going to smart with any of those cartridges. Do you already have the action? XC uses a .585 bolt face and can run on a standard action. Cheytac uses .640 and an oversized action. If I might make a suggestion since you're getting into some exotic stuff anyway. 375-338 lapua improved. Only runs about 100 FPS slower than the cheytac, uses a good bit less powder and a regular magnum action.

Anything that light is going to smart with any of those cartridges. Do you already have the action? XC uses a .585 bolt face and can run on a standard action. Cheytac uses .640 and an oversized action. If I might make a suggestion since you're getting into some exotic stuff anyway. 375-338 lapua improved. Only runs about 100 FPS slower than the cheytac, uses a good bit less powder and a regular magnum action.
the 375-338 lpau imp will not hang within a 100fps of the 375 CT ...

I've been looking at actions and came up with a question. Will the ones based on a Rem 700, have lug setback like a 700 could? Is it better to get one of the actions with a larger diameter?
Here are my thoughts on using a rem 700 sized action for 33 37 or 41 xc .... I personally wouldn't do it.. has it been done?? oh hell yes it has but that doesn't mean it should be.. if you do a little research you'll find threads about lug setback on 700 sized actions when chambered in 33xc or 338 improved rounds
I would look strongly into a BAT HR or a lightened CT or M, Borden bigfoot or tac 338 .... some thing that has oversized everything..

I've shot 11# 375 cheytacs and 10 pound 33 XC and they are awesome but not fun.. any way you shake it when you get into burning a 120 plus grains of powder its a whole other level ..

also consider that every pound you can add too your rifles weight aids in accuracy when dealing with 2k shots

Admittedly, it would depend on your load, although I'm going by the numbers Tubb put out.
I get it.. a lot of ''Numbers" sway a person there way .. but having built them and shot them side by side with everything being equal.. the 338 imp wont do it! its a good little round dont get me wrong but its still not a 375 CT ..

efficiency only gets you so far ... sooner or later you have too add cubic inches too your setup too gain FPS weather its 50 or 200fps gain ..sorry been down these roads and thrown barrel after barrel after barrel away because the hype never lived up too the actual data I gathered at the range.

I don't think it's the greatest idea myself, but if I were to do it I would do it on a Deviant Tactical, Kelbly black bear tactical, or something equally beefy. Defiance has the advantage of being able to be ordered with a flat faced bolt so you get the bigger lugs. I've been contemplating exactly this kind of build on a tac 408 action I have laying here. The really hard part is getting a lapua sized case to feed from the cheytac magazine.

Here are my thoughts on using a rem 700 sized action for 33 37 or 41 xc .... I personally wouldn't do it.. has it been done?? oh hell yes it has but that doesn't mean it should be.. if you do a little research you'll find threads about lug setback on 700 sized actions when chambered in 33xc or 338 improved rounds
I would look strongly into a BAT HR or a lightened CT or M, Borden bigfoot or tac 338 .... some thing that has oversized everything..

I've shot 11# 375 cheytacs and 10 pound 33 XC and they are awesome but not fun.. any way you shake it when you get into burning a 120 plus grains of powder its a whole other level ..

also consider that every pound you can add too your rifles weight aids in accuracy when dealing with 2k shots
I would love to make it heavier, but Idaho has a 16lb weight limit. I've read about the lug setback, and that's what brought the question up, wasn't sure if it was still happening with a "Custom Action," didn't know if they were stronger than a factory 700 because they are made different.

I've been looking at the TAC Driver, but can't find a weight on them. I like it because if I ever get the idea to step up to a CT case, I have an action that can do it.

When I get home tonight I'll weigh mine and let you know. Don't get your hopes up about making your weight limit with that one it's a beast.