338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

I would love to make it heavier, but Idaho has a 16lb weight limit. I've read about the lug setback, and that's what brought the question up, wasn't sure if it was still happening with a "Custom Action," didn't know if they were stronger than a factory 700 because they are made different.

I've been looking at the TAC Driver, but can't find a weight on them. I like it because if I ever get the idea to step up to a CT case, I have an action that can do it.
do a Ct with two bolts best of all worlds ..

make it 15.5 loaded and let er buck.. I built mine for Idaho where I Live and hunt... A LOT and its a little over 14 pounds all in

Last edited:
OK I have two Tac 408 actions here (same as the tac driver Dale just renamed then when he started doing the lapua bolt faces) one is 1.45 diameter one is 1.60 diameter. The 1.45 with the pic rail and the lug is 2 pounds 12 ounces. The 1.60 is 3 pounds 8 ounces. Those are both repeaters so if you want to do a single shot action add probably 2 to 3 ounces to the weight.

OK I have two Tac 408 actions here (same as the tac driver Dale just renamed then when he started doing the lapua bolt faces) one is 1.45 diameter one is 1.60 diameter. The 1.45 with the pic rail and the lug is 2 pounds 12 ounces. The 1.60 is 3 pounds 8 ounces. Those are both repeaters so if you want to do a single shot action add probably 2 to 3 ounces to the weight.
Thanks for doing that. Really liking the 1.45 now. Just hoping I can get my hands on one soon.

Mag feeding an XC, even from a Cheytac sized action, can be bullet dependent. Remember that the XC is longer than the Cheytac. Here is a picture of a 350 grain .375 CEB Lazer loaded to the drive band in an XC case, which puts the boat tail just below the neck-shoulder junction of the case. The .375 Lazers only get longer from there, and even the 300 grain .338 Lazer has a longer projection length. The XC case will load and feed from the Cheytac Baer mag.
CA4864E2-9C35-41E6-B187-FE5A4816210C.jpeg

Mag feeding an XC, even from a Cheytac sized action, can be bullet dependent. Remember that the XC is longer than the Cheytac. Here is a picture of a 350 grain .375 CEB Lazer loaded to the drive band in an XC case, which puts the boat tail just below the neck-shoulder junction of the case. The .375 Lazers only get longer from there, and even the 300 grain .338 Lazer has a longer projection length. The XC case will load and feed from the Cheytac Baer mag.
View attachment 342717
I'm planning on using it just as a single shot. Any experience with the 275gr Super Bulldozer? Their BC is sure impressive.

Same problem as the cheytac, on the XC the case neck is a little longer so you can seat the bullet a bit deeper then on the cheytac so on COAL it's pretty much a wash. I was thinking about using a lapua improved case with the lazers and the larger action, so now you have plenty of space. Like I said earlier the enabler was probably the perfect magfed case for the cheytac, but applied really dropped the ball on it.

To me the problem isn't the cartridges being too long, it's the actions/mags being too short. Why the heck do the manufacturers keep making sub par equipment for these longer cases. I mean a modern action "designed" around a cartridge size should be able to handle that cartridge for its intended purpose. Take the Cheytac case, it is made for ELR work and the actions are made to handle relatively shorter bullets or long bullets shoved way down in the case. The answer isn't to make (or design) the cases shorter (like the Enabler, 6.8 Western, .338 Norma, 6.5 Creedmore, etc) to fit in the actions/mags, the answer is to design the darn actions/mags to fit the cartridges already in existence. Just because some engineers keep screwing that part up doesn't mean they have to going forward.

How many do you need? I know I've Pm'd people here before in fact a couple of days ago.

This is a distraction from the topic but you probably responded to a PM because it takes more responses (20-25, I think) to get the PM box in your profile. I'm not sure how that happened either because there isn't a PM box in your profile. Might want to ask ADMIN.

:mad: