338 win mag

huntwithme

i was given dies, 120 cases to reload from my brother all he said he wants to shoot out to 6 houndred yards for elk the bullets i've decided on are the 210 or 225 gr barnes ttsx , nosler 200 or 225 accu or posssibly the hornady cx or eld-x are all these good or which one would you use thanks

I don't think you will have issues out to 600 with any of those choices. It comes down to what you have the most of and what shoots the best. I like accubonds for large critters, but Barnes are good too. Have to see what the gun likes the best.

i was given dies, 120 cases to reload from my brother all he said he wants to shoot out to 6 houndred yards for elk the bullets i've decided on are the 210 or 225 gr barnes ttsx , nosler 200 or 225 accu or posssibly the hornady cx or eld-x are all these good or which one would you use thanks
I'd try that 225 Accubond first with some H4831 or similar and see what she can do. I had good results with a 225 Gr Interbond and H4831 as well as the 250 gr Partition

Provided you keep the ranges at which you will have adequate expansion…..hands down a mono. My choices would be the Barnes or the Hammer's.

We're running 225 grain TTSX's in my wife's .338 WM which easily gives you decent expansion velocities 2100 + fps) @ 600 yards. She's used them for years with very good success…..though her longest shots have been at or around 400 yards!

The caveat……finding some to purchase! My go to place is Blue Collar Reloading, where I just got 4 boxes of Barnes .375, 270 grain LRX's for my birthday/Christmas. Presently they don't have any .338 210 or 225 TTSX's……but, keep them on your radar! memtb

Last edited:
I use both 210 and 225 Barnes TTSX in the .340 WBY Mag. The results in game taken are so similar that it's hard to point out any difference at all. The 210 can only be loaded slightly faster than the 225 for my max loads, so I prefer the 225gr TTSX. I have yet to find a bullet because all have been pass-through. My farthest shot taking a Mule deer in Colorado at 580 yards. Nowadays I don't hardly shoot past 350 yards.

I'd look at something in the 225-250 gr range in a hammer hunter or maybe the badlands bulldozer. A description of your gun would also help. Just be sure you have a fast enough twist to stabilize whatever bullet you choose.