338 Win mag

valleysnyper

Anyone here load for a 338 Win ? I bought some 210 gr Hammers to try. The only prob I've had in the past was loading 200 gr bullets as they were to long to get a full charge. Seems the copper bullets are even longer. Any suggestions ? I could do a bullet change would like to keep weight between 200 and 225 gr. Thanks

210 partitions with a pile of IMR 4350 or RL19. I used the same charge with BT…but they were way to soft (this was decades ago). I'd bet the accubonds would do really well. Velocity was 3000+. Lots of deer and elk fell to the partition from spitting distance to 500yds.

The load I had with IMR4350 is now considered "ABOVE" max, I never give out loads that are like that, but in older books it was below max. You'd have to work up to see where you see pressure. Best load might be 1 or 2 grains below that

Best advice I can give is to use a good brand of brass and keep a good stockpile of RL19 on hand.
My load with a 225g Accubond is also considered above max these days. Have been using many 338WM since 1988.
I had best luck with either Winchester ww-super brass (circa the 90's) or Remington brass. Both would take numerous loadings. All of my 338's have 26" barrels and yield 2890-3050fps with reasonable loads close to max. Max loads run right at, or a little above, 3100fps with 225's.

Cheers.

Members, I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering if anyone else used the 338 for deer

Unless you're going for 800+ yard shooting…..there's no reason that the .338WM shouldn't be considered as a good candidate for all of your big game hunting! 😉

Simply put, it's a good combination of reasonable recoil, great for larger big game, raking shots (with proper bullets) where penetration is needed, good long range potential, factory ammo/component accessibility with a wide variety of bullet weights/styles. IMO…..that's a pretty good resume! memtb