338 win mag

I do love my Ruger 77 in .338 WM. It shoots the 210 Nosler Partitions just a bit better than the 250 NP's. The 210's will hold 1" at 100 pretty much all day, the 250's 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". I hunt big game using only the Partitions in all calibers and have sold rifles that wouldn't shoot them very well.

That said, if I were starting out on the same quest for a rifle that landed me on the Ruger, today I think I would be looking at a .338 RUM instead of the WM. While I've never even shot one, I've spent a bit of time on a buddies 300 RUM and it's much better than the 300WM. I guess he lucked out when he got it because the barrel looked more like a custom than any factory barrel I've ever seen and the accuracy out of it using 200 gr. Partitions was pretty nice.

Since there were no RUM rounds even thought of when I got my WM, I would never switch at this point since it does what I want perfectly already. Never mess with what works!
Cheers,
crkckr

I loaded 225 and 250 NABs but settled for the 225 over the 250 in my .338 WM with H4831SC.
Good choice, I think Ballistically the 225gr in cup and core type bullets are the perfect weight for that cartridge. When I was younger and more of a speed demon I hunted with a 160gr x-bullet at over 3400 fps. Now I got a little older and I think a little wiser( yes I said I 🤔 🤣)the numbers just work out better on the 225gr.

The great 338w-magnum is not a 600 yd elk cartridge,it does shine at 400-500 yds . Will it take an elk at 600 yds, sure but let's get real we are not all High Power Match shooters, the cartridge has its limits just like they all do . I use mine more for target then hunting and I've shot her out to 625 yds you find out real quick how fast the bullets drop from say a 300 yard zero out to say 500 yds. Lots of our members are reloaders open your manuals and check your drop charts , yes I understand hunting is Exciting but we need to be realistic in our goals and there's a great reason lots of people are choosing 225 grain bullets ,it's because of higher velocity they can get out of the cartridge. I'm a Barnes fan , but I like ,Sierra,Speer,Hornady,Nosler and Hammer bullets even though I've not tried them pun NOT intended . My 338 sports a #5 ss1-10 twist 26 inch Douglas barrel mated to a MK-10 Mauser action glass bedded into an early bellncarlson synthic stock .also had her EDM ported which helps with the recoil . Long my she live the Great 338 🥳😉😆,Cheers.

While I had drop figured to 500 yards on mine, I never figured trying anything more than 400 yards, since I never had more than a 200 yd range to play with. Everything between 50 & 200 was right on but not having a longer range to practice on, i thought 400 was as far as I could reasonably go. Never had to find out as all of my elk shots were at relatively short ranges, well under 200yds.
Cheers,
crkckr

The great 338w-magnum is not a 600 yd elk cartridge,it does shine at 400-500 yds . Will it take an elk at 600 yds, sure but let's get real we are not all High Power Match shooters, the cartridge has its limits just like they all do . I use mine more for target then hunting and I've shot her out to 625 yds you find out real quick how fast the bullets drop from say a 300 yard zero out to say 500 yds. Lots of our members are reloaders open your manuals and check your drop charts , yes I understand hunting is Exciting but we need to be realistic in our goals and there's a great reason lots of people are choosing 225 grain bullets ,it's because of higher velocity they can get out of the cartridge. I'm a Barnes fan , but I like ,Sierra,Speer,Hornady,Nosler and Hammer bullets even though I've not tried them pun NOT intended . My 338 sports a #5 ss1-10 twist 26 inch Douglas barrel mated to a MK-10 Mauser action glass bedded into an early bellncarlson synthic stock .also had her EDM ported which helps with the recoil . Long my she live the Great 338 🥳😉😆,Cheers.

I respectfully disagree as to the .338 WM's 600 yard capabilities as an elk cartridge!
The accompanying photo are the ballistics for my wife's rifle/cartridge that she hunts with. For you energy "worshipers" I think this more than fills the bill @ 600 yards. If one uses a range finder and uses turrets or is versed in mil dot scopes …..I see no reason that this shouldn't suffice as a 600 yard cartridge/load! Though, my wife's personal range limit is only 500 yards, I've witness her make 400 yard shots look very easy….I have no doubt that 600 (under ideal condition) is within her "wheelhouse"! memtb

nYTC7DCl.png

I respectfully disagree as to the .338 WM's 600 yard capabilities as an elk cartridge!
The accompanying photo are the ballistics for my wife's rifle/cartridge that she hunts with. For you energy "worshipers" I think this more than fills the bill @ 600 yards. If one uses a range finder and uses turrets or is versed in mil dot scopes …..I see no reason that this shouldn't suffice as a 600 yard cartridge/load! Though, my wife's personal range limit is only 500 yards, I've witness her make 400 yard shots look very easy….I have no doubt that 600 (under ideal condition) is within her "wheelhouse"! memtb

nYTC7DCl.png
I don't think jjmp is disagreeing with you at all memtb.
I think he's more talking about our personal abilities to shoot at that range.
There is no doubt the cartridge has the hp to get out there and touch someone.
Personally, I shoot a .340 Weatherby Mag Mark V with handloads of 225gr TTSX with similar .338 qualities. It for sure has the hp to do those ranges. Out of my 26"bbl, I get 3160fps easily, so ballistically speaking, I totally agree with you.

Thks Rob L, Not many of us are Davy Crocket Or Annie Oakley ,Cheers

I apologize if I misunderstood the intention of your post! I read it as the cartridge not having enough at 600 yards……not the shooters ability or lack thereof.

I assumed (assumption can be a fatal flaw) that all of the .338 caliber rifles would have equal or nearly so accuracy potential …… then the lethal range capabilities will fall upon the obtainable velocities of the different cartridges and of the shooter!

Oh…..I assure you that I can miss with the best of them! 😉 I occasionally miss just to verify that! 🤪 memtb