338 win mag

bamadawg2009

Might be an old question but I need some advice for my 338 win mag loads..
I am loading 180 gr nosler accubonds and was wondering what would be a good powder choice and charge for this grain bullet? This is not gonna be my long range gun I just picked it up because it was too good a deal to pass up.
Its a ruger MKII stainless sporter and I paid 400 brand new for it.

Try RE19 and work up from book specs, I've never loaded such a light bullet in any of my 33's, my 30's shoot 180gr bullets just fine.

We've used H-4831sc, 78 grains, Federal 215 primers in 4 or 5 different rifles. The same Rugers you have, a Winchester and a Sako. It's a max load in Noslers book, but you really can't get much more in the case anyhow.
Mostly we've used H-4831 sc because we always have some on hand. Generally we've loaded it for youngsters, and gradually move up to heavier bullets. The 4350's will likely give more velocity, but if your goal is managing recoil with lighter bullets 4831 will give you an honest 3000fps. I've ran the 180 Accubond in my 338 RUM to 3500fps without the wheels falling off so drive it harder if you need.
Devastating on smaller deer and antelope, but I've never challenged with something big, or a hard test medium.
If you push it I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far it can be effective. If you're primarily looking for meat, or pelts, I'd make another choice.

Thanks guys. Ive goy some 4350 and H 4831sc sitting in my closet Ill give a try. I dont really need a very heavy bullet until I move from Florida, our deer are lucky to break 200 lbs so I dont want to fold, filet, and fry all in one shot with a huge bullet, or excessive energy as I talk about a .338 for 170lb deer:D.

For the .338 Win. Mag I use 74 gr. of H4350 with the 180 gr. Accubond at around 3100 fps and some change. Love this bullet but the load definately lets you know you cut it loose if you dont have a muzzle brake. My rifle likes the load though. Took my 5x5 bull last year at 423 yds he went down stone dead. After smashing bone the Accubond retained 83% of its weight.

Thanks for the help guys I found my load 70 grains of 4350 with a 215 federal primer. 3 shots you can cover with a dime at 100 yds, I have no idea what velocity is now but will found out, for my shooting Im not gonna give up accuracy for a few more FPS with this gun. This is out of an out of the box ruger, no bed job trigger job or floated barrel after this Im a lil leary of doing anything to it.gun)

H-414 is the best powder for light bullets in the 338 winchester. Use the data in the nosler reloading guide. It is dead on. CCI 250 primers work best in my loads with this powder and light bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.