338 Win Mag Velocity

KY Gun Geek

Working up some 338 WM loads - looking for max V with a 225 Accubond.

I got to about 2800 with H4831, and 2875 with H4350. I'm pretty much out of case room with the H4831 at 77.5gns (it is jammed in there, but good), a little compressed with the H4350 at 74.5gn.

There are no standard pressure signs - primers OK, bolt lift OK, no marks on the case head. Haven't mic'd the cases yet.

Rifle is a Savage 116, 24" barrel. Bullets seated out to max in the mag (forget the OAL), and are still 0.050 off of the lands. I have used the Tubb Final Finish (my experience is that this smooths the bore, and allows use of more powder for higher velocity w/o pushing pressure limits).

Question is - is there more opportunity with a different powder? Can this thing get to 3000?

Not looking to push way past the limits, but I do want every thing I can get. This is what I've got for LR work on Elk.

I used to be able to get around 2950 with reloader 19. I think it was around 78 grains. Work up to it though. RL 19 produced less pressure and more velocity out of my last 338 win than the next best choice of imr 4350

I hope to see some more replies in this thread as I have a just bought a used Winchester Model 70 stainless .338 win mag, with 26" barrel, and I'm trying to gather experiences and ideas from other .338 WM reloaders.

I have a stock Rem factory gun with a 24" tube. I load 73 grains of IMR4350 with Rem Cases and Fed 215 primers. With the 225 grn Accubonds, I get nearly 2975 with extremely low velocity spreads, like single digits. Accurracy is decent, I think it would be much better if I did something with the bore, but I have settled and am ok with 3/4 groups at 100. The only gripe I have is with three rounds in the magazine area, it tends to bust off or smash the plastic tips on the bullets. These loads are overmax by today's standards but is only about a 1/2 grain hotter than my older books. Load up to this one.......

With the 225 Accubonds I have gotten the highest velocity with RL-19. I shoot a Ruger 77 with a 24 inch barrel and I have reached velocities of 3000 ft/sec.. So start low and work up with RL-19 and you can beat the 2800 ft/sec. that you are getting with H4350 or H4831.

Just to give you something for comparision, my long range elk load is 97 gr of RL 25 in my 338 rum @3300 fps. This load plain flattens whatever it hits and shoots flatter than the 180's out of my 300 ultra.

Just keep in mind, every barrel is different, some can get great velocity and others only marginal.

I get 2890fps, and ES's of 8fps, with 225gr Accubonds in my Win Mod 70, 26" barrel with 76gr's of RE19, have loaded to 79.5gr's and just over 3000fps, but settled on 76gr's because it was the most accurate.
I think velocity is second to accuracy, so I'm always willing to get a little less velocity for superior accuracy.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

78.0 of Reloader 19
225 gr Accubond or Part
WW Cases
fed 215 Match
2940 FPS in 24"

If you using different primers or cases you will get different results

Like good reloaders before me have said.......better accuracy at reduced loads trump higher vel.

Plus it's easier on your gun

Low node 74.0. High Node 76.0

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.