Reduced Velocity 300 Win Mag Loads

Perhaps I should clarify. I plan on loading the gun within the lower ends of the normal ranges, with the powders listed. Recoil is really not an issue but the hope is that by reducing the velocity a little he can reduce the amount of meat damage on closer shots

Perhaps I should clarify. I plan on loading the gun within the lower ends of the normal ranges, with the powders listed. Recoil is really not an issue but the hope is that by reducing the velocity a little he can reduce the amount of meat damage on closer shots
You will be fine on that. Like I said earlier, about 2900- 3000 fps with lighter loads of either 4350 or 4831 powder will net about 50,000 psi and be pretty dang accurate too. 165 grain bullets, of course, in your 300win.

To Edd, I once thought H4895 would work well with light loads in a 300 win, that's why I tried it. I got delayed fire and near squib with both standard and mag primers with the added icing on the case of partly collapsed cases. I think 150 or 165 grain pills may have been better, but the 125's were patently unsafe with 4895.

For reduced loads on larger rounds I'm thinking mil-surp. cannon powder like wc872 is a better bet, albeit dirtier.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.