reduced velocity loads

davewilson

this bullet testing is a lot of fun but gets increasingly difficult with distance. i'd like to be able to shoot my bullets at or a little below 2000 FPS. normal muzzle velocity is over 3100 with my 250's. does anyone have a recipe that will allow me to do this safely?

Dave,

You seem to be out on a limb on this one.;)

With a chrono and some messing around you can get there. After seeing someone else's experience with reduced loads of 4861 in a 243 I get a little queezy with the first shot but seemed to have survived so far.:rolleyes:

I haven't messed with the 338 yet but will do so one of these times.

Here are some links:

Reduced Load Calculator

This could be a bit risky if double charged....
Blue Dot Loads

Here's my approach:
Hogdon lists IMR 4350 and the 250gr bullet data.
83 gr = 2820 FPS
78 gr = 2698 FPS

Thus 5gr pwdr reduction = 122 FPS velocity reduction.
Or about 24 FPS /grain of powder
Then 2968 - 2000 = 968 FPS desired velocity drop;
968 FPS/24FPS/gr = 40.3 grains of 4350 to get 2000 FPS.

As is the usual warning: Sneak DOWN on it a couple of grains at a time and stop "just before" something bad happens.:rolleyes:

If nothing else, this response may well gather the attention of someone who really knows what they're doing and flame my little butt.:D But hey, I've been thinking about getting my butt 'waxed' any way.:eek:

PS: you may well come up with a real good squirrel load for that thing.

The best and safest advice I can give is to call the bullet mftr.powder company tech department and ask for "reduced load data". It can be done safely but not normally on your own. If you just reduce loads with rifle powder you will end up at the point of mass detonation, they normally switch you to pistol powders.

If the wrong powders and charges are used this can lead to a very dangerous and catastrophic "significant emotional event", ie your gun blowing up in your face. :mad:

An immediate change of underwear is normally called for too!!:D

BH

The best and safest advice I can give is to call the bullet mftr.powder company tech department and ask for "reduced load data". It can be done safely but not normally on your own.

If the wrong powders and charges are used this can lead to a very dangerous and catastrophic "significant emotional event", ie your gun blowing up in your face. :mad:

An immediate change of underwear is normally called for too!!:D

BH

I agree, and do not use slow burning powder for reduced loads as this is a reciepe for disaster.................

Dave,

See, I told ya my post would bring them out of the wood work;)

The old Speer #9 loading manual (hard cover, btw,:cool:) has reduced loads listed. It was published well prior to the development of the RUM cartridges. Here are a couple of examples.

340 Weatherby 275 gr Speer
35 gr 4759 1686 FPS
39 gr 4759 1905 FPS

338 Win Mag 275gr Speer
30 gr 4759 1587 FPS
34 gr 4759 1808 FPS

I have no idea what WR 4759 powder is.

Another trick is to lash the rifle to an old tire and pull the trigger with a Looonnngg range string whilst hiding behind a real thick tree. Been there, done that.:eek:

i talked to someone at Hodgdon today and they basically told me there's no way a reduced load can be safely shot out of that size cartridge. you can't use fillers with a bottled neck case, and light charges of slow burning powders might be the kiss of death. oh well, you just can't get enough practice at long range so i guess it's 1k milk jugs for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.