338 Win. Mag Ruger M77

From what I've read here, the Hammer bullets are very forgiving on seating depth and accuracy. Flat base bullets also can be more 'forgiving' in the accuracy dept, so bear that in mind. I love those model 77s, so I hope you can tighten up the accuracy on yours. AliBiiv gave you some great advice on the action screws, which should help.

I too have a Ruger M77 in .338 WM and love it. Using Nosler 210 & 250 Partition bullets (elk & bear, respectively) I'm getting decent accuracy & velocity out of both bullets. The 210 will usually do .75 moa at 100 yds. while the 250 opens up to 1.250. It does have some significant recoil but I generally don't start flinching until I get up to that 100 rounds in a day mark. I usually limit my bench shooting by barrel heat. The first time I shot it off a concrete bench I lost a good bit of hide off my elbow. I also have gotten used to the scope ticking the top of my glasses on each shot!

Generally, I seat bullets in the cannelure and use a good crimp and take what I can get accuracy wise. My first round up is always one that is is seated to the best accuracy depth without a crimp. Mag length will dictate max OAL of loaded ammo but I have seen bullet jump (from recoil) on non-cannelured bullets within the mag after 3 shots, so I usually crimp. This can also beat exposed lead bullet tips flat, another reason for a good crimp. Even then they can get mashed down by the round moving in the mag. I always watch for it if shooting a lot (I can't be the only nitwit to go out bunny busting with a .338... right?!) and make sure the rounds get rotated.
Cheers,
crkckr

Just reviving old thread.
I dusted off this old M77 Ruger 338. And the best I could do is around 3 inches at 100 yards. 200 grain Sierra budget bullets.
This is good enough for spring bear at 100 I guess.
Any ideas.?
I have some 225 bergers untried.
Using imr 4350, not 7828,oops, and yes, 69 grains, 2800 fps.
I have reloder 22, I have not tried.
I have a few other powders. No retumbo, no h1000.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_1520316_rewind_kindlephoto-173326274.jpg
    IMG_20200507_1520316_rewind_kindlephoto-173326274.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Basics first as usual. Clean bore, scope screws etc. tightened.

If 100 yards is what you need. An old school round nose may help. All that bearing surface has worked a time or 2 for me.
Throttle it back a bit, if you want don't stress over top velocity

Unless you throttle back some I think the .338 WM cries out for a well constructed bullet... something beyond the typical cup 'n core. They're fine for accuracy but I've seen too many core seperations to trust them on game. Partitions (to which I'm really partial!), Swift A frames, and bonded bullets like the Bear Claw just seem to perform better in the terminal end. The only thing is potential accuracy problems. I've sold hunting rifles that wouldn't shoot the Partitions (I said I was partial to them!). There are others that are probably as good but there are none better! One of these days I'm going to get up the nerve to try some of the mono bullets, just to check out the hype!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.