338 win mag bear bullet

Last year I got the opportunity to help guide in the Bristol Bay area of Alaska for brown bear. It was a great experience and it's about all I think about now. Headed back in August 19. Our first client we had was shooting a 338 win mag and I thought nothing of it. Well after poor performance on a brown bear at 100+/- yards, tracking it into an alder patch and having to finish her with a 375 Ruger mag. Skip ahead a couple days to bear number two. Shot at about the same distance, bear takes off into the alders never to be seen again, ending the hunt for the client, costing him a trophy fee and really upsetting me. I don't like to leave a wounded animal in the field. It got me thinking is 338wm enough gun? It wasn't till the next day we flew out of camp I saw his bullet selection, 200 grain sst....I'm guessing here is our problem. Caliber is discussed with the client but never bullet selection. No, as a helper/assistant and now apprentice working towards my guide license its not my place to suggest what bullet to use. With the clients we have, alot of them have little hunting experience, they go buy a fancy gun in a large caliber and the first box of bullets they see and go for it.

So going forth in preparation for the bear hunts we are now wanting to suggest bullets for the clients to use for a given caliber. 338 and 375 are by far the most used. I was thinking Nosler partition? but after that I don't really know. Thought about Barnes, but will they expand at close range? Would like some more input on 338 win mag, 375 hh and 375 Ruger. Factory ammo, I doubt any of these guys reload.

Hope you made it through my long/short story and don't bash on me......I'm far from a writer!
The problem with most people who are TRYING to hunt. They don't put enough time behind the rifle caliber that they will be hunting with. It is 2005, we head north to the Haul Road to hunt caribou, I take the three guys from Alaska plus a guy from Montana. Now the guy from Montana is the only guy who kills anything. No one from Alaska kills nothing, this was their hunt, all I was doing was using by airboat to transport them. No matter what size of gun one will use it won't help any if they don't get behind the rifle and caliber; practice goes a long way.

Exactly. I wouldn't be comfortable with that bullet on an elk either. This guy was really a good sport, great attitude and really enjoying getting into hunting after retirement. But if you told him that was the wrong bullet I don't think he would even know there was a difference in bullet construction.
View attachment 119311
My Kodiak that I took with a 338 win mag, 1 shot @ 209 yards. Went 20 yards and expired. I reload my own. I used a Barnes TTSX and she was quartering to me and I put it just in front of the front shoulder crease and it exited in the hind quarter. The bear had no idea I was there so that may have something to do with as she was relaxed.

I hunt black bears and have for years. Most black bears I shoot are 300lbs but aren't a coastal brown. Different animal for sure. Having said that, I have had great results with my simple .358 Win using a 225gr Sierra Game King in the vitals. They die quick. I have also used my .338 Win Mag with 250gr Accubonds. They expand slower than the simple Sierra Game King and do LESS damage with a vitals shot but MORE damage into bone. For Grizzlies I'd very much recommend them, especially with greater range. Shot placement trumps everything however.

Having conversation with 3 professional hunters in South Africa. All agreed. Swift A-FRAME was the best bullet choice for dangerous game. I used it. On all 3 of my trips. I agree. It is the best. The hunting experience of 3 professionals speaks volumes. Western Mule Deer Hunter

My question to the Master Guide would be:
Why they don't have the conversation with their clients about rifle and bullet selection before arrival? The onus is on them in my opinion. He could have fixed the problem before it happened and to ask what the client is shooting after the fact?? Not the clients fault, he wasn't the pro.

Last year I got the opportunity to help guide in the Bristol Bay area of Alaska for brown bear. It was a great experience and it's about all I think about now. Headed back in August 19. Our first client we had was shooting a 338 win mag and I thought nothing of it. Well after poor performance on a brown bear at 100+/- yards, tracking it into an alder patch and having to finish her with a 375 Ruger mag. Skip ahead a couple days to bear number two. Shot at about the same distance, bear takes off into the alders never to be seen again, ending the hunt for the client, costing him a trophy fee and really upsetting me. I don't like to leave a wounded animal in the field. It got me thinking is 338wm enough gun? It wasn't till the next day we flew out of camp I saw his bullet selection, 200 grain sst....I'm guessing here is our problem. Caliber is discussed with the client but never bullet selection. No, as a helper/assistant and now apprentice working towards my guide license its not my place to suggest what bullet to use. With the clients we have, alot of them have little hunting experience, they go buy a fancy gun in a large caliber and the first box of bullets they see and go for it.

So going forth in preparation for the bear hunts we are now wanting to suggest bullets for the clients to use for a given caliber. 338 and 375 are by far the most used. I was thinking Nosler partition? but after that I don't really know. Thought about Barnes, but will they expand at close range? Would like some more input on 338 win mag, 375 hh and 375 Ruger. Factory ammo, I doubt any of these guys reload.

Hope you made it through my long/short story and don't bash on me......I'm far from a writer!
I have killed 5 bears, my go to is a Ruger .375 with a Barnes TTSX 300 gr bullet. Knocks em dead with good bullet placement.

Ive reloaded for a long time for the 300 wsm in 180 and 200 for moose and elk and have not had an animal going more that a few yards ! For the .338 I use 200 grain for elk but for the large bears I would load it in 250 grain nosller accubond and that would give you the energy and speed to anchor a large bear on the spot !

My question to the Master Guide would be:
Why they don't have the conversation with their clients about rifle and bullet selection before arrival? The onus is on them in my opinion. He could have fixed the problem before it happened and to ask what the client is shooting after the fact?? Not the clients fault, he wasn't the pro.
I agree with you. I'm just saying it was not my place or really responsibility to question it. It was my first time guiding/helping. Now knowing that was probably the issue I questioned the guide I'm working with and he said it just slipped his mind. But he's glad I brought up bullet selection and not just caliber selection.

I've been thinking for my personal rifle loading up some 250 accubonds, partitions, and a frames. What powder do you guys go with? H1000? I use that in my 300wm.

People have been killing bears with alot smaller calibers for a very long time. I understand requiring certain calibers and can agree with it to a certain degree. But if they can't get the job done with one caliber most of the time it won't get it done with a bigger one or different bullet. Comparatively speaking and keeping calibers and bullet selection within reason in relation to the task.

I live in Alaska and have taken three bears and I use a .338 with 250gr nozler partitions, and have not had a bear move more than 50 yards. One was shot at 420 yds away. If you are looking for a bear gun I would say go to a .375

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.