338 win mag bear bullet

A guy I knew in Sitka was goat hunting on Baranof back when long range hunting was just starting to take off well. He was using his 338/378 Whby loaded with 185 gr X bullets loaded as fast and accurately as possible . Had a NXS 5-20 something scope on it. He was hunting alone.
Coming down off a mountain one afternoon he noticed his camp had been tore up and saw a 9+ ft bear at his camp. He was around 200 yards away from the bear and his camp.
He was above the bear . He shot the bear broadside in the shoulder. Bear went down and bounced back up. He had been classing goats with his rifle scope and had it on max power. As a light breeze was pushing his scent down hill, the bear knew roughly where he was and started hunting him at a good speed. Not a direct charge as the bear didn't know exactly where the guy was. One front leg was flopping around but that didn't really slow the bear down much. And the bear was specifically Hunting him. He tried for a shot as the bear was moving to get his scent better but the scope was set too high for that situation. He cranked the scope down to min power. The bear looked up over a boulder and he shot it in the head. Killing it.
That experience really shook the guy up from what I gather.
He went out and got a 375 when he got home.
The fast 300 s and 338 have been used for a few decades now in Alaska. The 338/378 KT was popular with some guys. The 30/378 also. I know a guy that killed a 10' bear on Chichagof with the 30/378. 1 shot kill from around 100 yards Iirc he was shooting the 180 gr NP factory loads but I'm not positive. The exact bullet. I do know it was a 180 gr tho.
I do know of lots and lots of bears wounded and lost by guys shooting 30 caliber carts and would never recommend them.

I spent a number of years in Sitka and remember hearing that story from Charlie, thought it was a 150 or 160gr. though, his "goat load".

I have taken 17 animals with my 338 edge in the past 6 years. Everything for a 2000+ lbs Eland, 3 bull elk, moose, caribou, deer, big black bear and they all have been one shot kills, most of them never took a step and the ones that did maybe took two step, and all with Berger bullet. I believe if you put the bullet where were it is supposed to go it's a done deal. So if I draw a brown bear tag in Alaska, for sure I will be shooting a Berger bullet!

Ry

Why didn't you simply make that statement with your 1st Post? Instead of requesting others thoughts?

Why waste other members time soliciting their thoughts on a matter you'd already absolutely settled?

Are you related to FIGJAM? Perhaps an in-law?

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Why didn't you simply make that statement with your 1st Post? Instead of requesting others thoughts?

Why waste other members time soliciting their thoughts on a matter you'd already absolutely settled?

Are you related to FIGJAM? Perhaps an in-law?

:rolleyes: Good one paul. Why do you keep assuming everybody who starts a thread or asks a question wants your advice or has to agree with your opinion? Why can't somebody just be curious what others are doing or what their thoughts are on the matter?

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Good one paul. Why do you keep assuming everybody who starts a thread wants your advice or has to agree with your opinion? Why can't somebody just be curious what others are doing or what their thoughts are on the matter?

Thank you. That was one of my better ones. Opportunities like this don't fall in my lap every day of the week. Others have to set the stage.

Here you go again asking questions, rather than making statements. So let me respond with questions, like I did in your infamous safe gun handling Thread:

Why do you presume I "keep assuming"? Does that help you manufacture another debate? Why can't I ask a question? You're full of them.

Of course someone can be curious and solicit other members thoughts. They can also waste others' time, under the guise they haven't already made up their own mind on the matter. They can engage in debates for no other purpose than the forum attention and interaction. Why you ask this question, on a matter you already know the answer to? You're the pro that excels in the practice.

Last edited:
Thank you. That was one of my better ones. Opportunities like this don't fall in my lap every day of the week. Other's have to set the stage.

Here you go again asking questions, rather than making statements. So let me respond with questions, like I did in your infamous safe gun handling Thread:

Why do you presume I "keep assuming"? Does that help you manufacture another debate? Why can't I ask a question? You're full of them.

Of course someone can be curious and solicit other members thoughts. They can also waste others' time, under the guise they haven't already made up their own mind on the matter. They can engage in debates for no other purpose than the forum attention and interaction. Why you ask this question, on a matter you already know the answer to? You're the pro that excels in the practice.
Sometime you and I will have to talk about the rates you are charging for the space I am occupying in your head.

I really have had exceptional luck with Berger, really has proven over many animals BUT I would absalutly defer to the guides wishes on bullet and cal on things like a big bear, guides take personal responsibility for their clients and honestly if for the of side chance that one bullet had an issue I would not want my guide to feel I screwed him and sent him into alder after a bear he would feel I screwed up knowing full well what he preferred.
When we start our Grizzly season in MT and a screw up is souly my issue to deal with THEN I'll choose what I want and the odds are good it'll be a 338 RUM with a Berger since it's my hunting area and I know the shots.

The 300 grain Accubond is my African slayer and the only bullet I use for large game from Ibex, hippo's, water buffalo(although I made a skull shot with my 300RUM with a 210gr Accubond that made the rear skull cap into shrapnell and hamburger also splitting his vertebrae on the tail end of his rear. It is Accubonds for me above the old die-hard Partitions anymore as my number 1 choice. I have either been **** lucky or this bullet is the world's best performer for one shot kills!

One I don't think I have seen mentioned is the Woodleigh Weldcore. I got a great deal on some Federal Premium High Energy 338 WM 250gr loads years ago, wish I had bought more! They shot great and were absolute hammers on everything I shot. The few bullets I found were perfect mushrooms with great weight retention.

Cardboard or plastic boxes?
The ones I have were already loaded in some .338 Imperial Magnum casings. (the truth! :)). I purchased a used rifle in the mid 1990s with reloading dies and misc handloads.
I pulled those bullets and thought they were pretty neat. Looked like a sledgehammer. Also looks like they were made one at a time instead of off an automated production line. I still have them, but have never fired one. Collector items...

I don't believe the lead is bonded to the copper jackets. But if the jacket is as thick as I remember of the reputation, they should plow in deeply.

I'm old enough I could have bought some when they were in production. Remember their availability.

One I don't think I have seen mentioned is the Woodleigh Weldcore. I got a great deal on some Federal Premium High Energy 338 WM 250gr loads years ago, wish I had bought more! They shot great and were absolute hammers on everything I shot. The few bullets I found were perfect mushrooms with great weight retention.
Bet those were costy?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.