338 for elk hunting- Build a lightweight rifle

Lately my Smith has been trying to talk me into a 338-06....he has built a lot of them....started long ago with his dad building for his clients and still same clients and those clients having 338-06 built as wedding presents and graduation presents...
It has a lot going for it.

I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?
I had a Sako TRGS IN 338 Lapua with no muzzle brake. Good accurate rifle, but recoil was pretty heavy. You definitely had to be holding on...

Years back I had a Savage 116 Weather Warrior chambered in 338 Win Mag. Not sure why but Savage used a 20" barrel. Total length was 22" w/brake. Violent muzzle blast but didn't seem to lose as much velocity as I thought it would. Not a fast twist barrel made to shoot the factory ammunition. Always thought if a guy put a 9-9.5 twist barrel on one, it would be all he'd need in North America. I think a 25/26" barreled 338 WM, shooting 230-250 grain bullets would be a great Elk/Moose/Bear set up and shooting lighter bullets double for deer. Never filled that niche but rather went right to the Lapua. A buddy just finished a 25", 9.4 twist 338 WM. I'll have to see how that rifle shoots.

I have a Christensen arms tfm in 338 Lapua it weighs about 7.5 pounds bare all carbon fiber and adjustable stock. I could probably be talked out of it because I'm wanting a Thor 4 thermal scope
I've got the same rifle. It's 7.1 lbs without the scope. Weighs a little over 10lbs with a NF ATACR, and that scope balances the rifle out very well. I used it on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt 2 years ago. 7 hour hike in uphill the whole way. The rifle was NOT too heavy. I shoot the 213 gr Hammer Hunter. Recoil is less than my unbraked 30-06. Velocity is 3250 fps. Very accurate. Made quick work of the mountain goat.
So, this might be a type of setup you're looking for.

I am an old 30:06 guy (hell - even a lever action Winchester .32 Special in thick timber) - and using a 200 grain bullet in the .06 would work for Elk - but not necessarily comfortable with that if a 500 lb bear suddenly appeared. :)

Another hs friend and classmate (not the .340 Weatherby guy) and also a football teammate - Big Bill - OT - 6'4' 250 lbs - started using a .338 up in Idaho - 30 some years ago - he even guided - and loved it.

With the 230/245/250 weight bullets recently released for the big 30 caliber cartridges, it pretty much makes the smaller case 338s a thing if the past for many. That same buddy that just built the 338 WM purchased a 300NM fast twist barrel that shoots the 245s. Pretty sure he's gonna get spoiled shooting that VS the 338 WM.

I've got the same rifle. It's 7.1 lbs without the scope. Weighs a little over 10lbs with a NF ATACR, and that scope balances the rifle out very well. I used it on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt 2 years ago. 7 hour hike in uphill the whole way. The rifle was NOT too heavy. I shoot the 213 gr Hammer Hunter. Recoil is less than my unbraked 30-06. Velocity is 3250 fps. Very accurate. Made quick work of the mountain goat.
So, this might be a type of setup you're looking for.
How do those 216s shoot in the Lapua ?

Weatherby ammo used to be insanely expensive. I shoot at least 5 different Weatherby cartridges currently, and it isn't any more expensive than the standard stuff if you know where to look..
If you don't mind me asking, where are you finding your good deals on Weatherby ammo? I shoot a .257, a couple of .300's, and a .340 thank you for any leads you may offer.

My 43 years of Elk Hunting found the 338 Lapua is usually on a heavy rifle with a considerable amount of shoulder bump when fired. Both my wife and I originally settled on the .300 Wby Mag with a 180 grain Spitzer for shots out to 600 yards or so. The .300 Wby Mag does have some recoil and at our age, 70, my wife has moved to a Mark V Camilla Deluxe in .280 ACKLEY Improved as it is specifically designed for women. My wife just shot a Buffalo at 100 yards and DRT. Of course, shot placement, familiarity with the weapon of choice and the lack of recoil flinch all combine to make that sweet and perfect shot.

I'd have to disagree. Elk are big animals with long hair. Regardless of how far away they are or how deadly a cartridge is, finding a **** elk can be a problem.

That's where the 338 shines. Better blood trail is important. You can kill elk with a variety of cartridges but finding them is a whole different story.
They are big and bigger bullets are always preferable at long range, but there's a point when being able to shoot with accuracy from a lighter platform is more important than ft lbs.

I live in elk country and have taken quite a few bulls beyond 600 yards with 6.5s 7mms and 30 cals.
Now I'll only use 7mm and up beyond 600.
There are a LOT of guys killing bulls beyond 1000 yards with big 30s, and doing it with authority.

Just my my observations
FWIW my timber elk rifle is a lowly little 6.5 with 140 partitions, 6 bulls have fallen to that little pea shooter.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you finding your good deals on Weatherby ammo? I shoot a .257, a couple of .300's, and a .340 thank you for any leads you may offer.
I'm all over the place, but I do watch ammoseek, and before the world lost it's mind, you could find any of the more common Weatherby cartridges in the $2/rd range, and then I get newsletters from several ammo companies. Nosler had some sales this year that allowed me to buy 7mm wby and 340 wby both for less than $2/ round. 300 bee I can usually buy for about $2/rd at my local LGS.

My 43 years of Elk Hunting found the 338 Lapua is usually on a heavy rifle with a considerable amount of shoulder bump when fired. Both my wife and I originally settled on the .300 Wby Mag with a 180 grain Spitzer for shots out to 600 yards or so. The .300 Wby Mag does have some recoil and at our age, 70, my wife has moved to a Mark V Camilla Deluxe in .280 ACKLEY Improved as it is specifically designed for women. My wife just shot a Buffalo at 100 yards and DRT. Of course, shot placement, familiarity with the weapon of choice and the lack of recoil flinch all combine to make that sweet and perfect shot.
Bravo sir. 👏

I pray to whatever God is listening that I'll be able to hunt at 70. Sometimes now at 40 I feel myself slowing down.