Lightweight rifle build

SoloHtr

I would like to build a lightweight rifle for my son in the 6lbs range in 6.5 prc. I am thinking a 22 inch cf barrel would be good compromise but i am open to suggestion. I need help selecting the action and other components. Any guidance will be appreciated.

If you're looking for a lightweight action, there's not many better choices than a Pierce Skele-Ti short action. These actions weigh just 15.8oz with an integral recoil lug, titanium action, and steel bolt. If you want a steel action, you can go with our short Shadow that's stainless and weighs 21.1oz. The Ti is lighter, but costs about $350 more.

For the barrel, I'd do a 20-22" and something around a 2B or #3 contour steel barrel and have it fluted if that's an option from the manufacturer. If you're wanting a carbon barrel, I would do a Proof Sendero Light at the same finish length. The stock would either be a Manners UC or a McMillan Hunter's Edge. If you want one of the lightest, then I'd have Jack Keister build you a stock.

I haven't weighed this one empty but it's 8 even with a 30 ounce NF and an 8 ounce EC tuner brake.

Def anti.
Muller CF barrel at 21 inches in 7 saum.
APR proprietary AG stock.
APR BDL style bottom metal.

I took a NM muley at 649 yards this past November and have shot 4 inch groups at 850.

20221116_090943.jpg

Things I'd recommend you consider if the rifle is for a youth. Ear Protection !!

1) stock fitment, natural, comfortable. Maybe adjustable for comb height & length of pull.
2) weight: don't go too lightweight
3) optic fitment
4) lighter bullet weight in the 6.5 PRC, or opt for lighter recoil ie: 6 or 6.5 creed or the likes.
5) Recoil & Concussive blast reduction, suppressor works best for this. Get a good 30 cal. model suppressor. & one with max db reduction.
I don't recommend brakes for their concussive blast to the shooter, even with ear pro.
6) teach good shooting form, habits, dry fire drills.
& trigger control.
7) lots of positional practice.
8) hunter's safety course.
Make it comfortable & enjoyable.

** side note: be cautious if you are both going to be shooting the same cartridge. Easy to make a mistake & grab the wrong box.
Be Safe !!

Last edited:
Get a Kimber hunter in 6.5cm, give it to a smith for a re-chamber and open the bolt face for the prc. Throw the stock in the trash and get something that's nice from the aftermarket that's 20oz or less. You'll be under 5lbs bare rifle and shouldn't be more than 2k or so.
You'll need to brake or suppress a light rifle in 6.5prc for a kid though.