Lightweight Rifle Build - Carbon and Titanium

treillw

Looking at building a light weight .300 win mag. Will be used for hunting and shooting steel for fun. Long range accuracy is very important. I want the gun to be as accurate as possible, but not break the 9lb mark by much at an absolute maximum. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a carbon barrel and a titanium action? Suggestions on actions? From what I've heard, proof seems to be who to go with for a barrel.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this post. What is the PRIMARY purpose? Will the rifle be braked? If not, I can't imagine much less pleasant than a titanium/carbon 300WM for banging steel. I'd only build such a beast if I required a backpacking rifle for rough territory that still hit hard. And even then, really light guns are more difficult to shoot well at long range, despite what inherent accuracy the rifle may have. And if I wanted to bang steel I'd likely leave that rifle at home, or put it back in the case after just a few shots.

At 9lbs, couldn't you get there with more conventional (and cheaper) materials?

I've got a Sendero in 300WM. It's hardly a light gun. But it is stable for long range shooting and I've backpacked it 10 miles into wilderness areas. Still, if I want to bang steel with it, I have to throw a towel over my shoulder or I'm going to be bruised the next day.

Now, braking it changes the equation.

LR accuracy which is your most important requirement (mine too.:)) has an equation to calculate what is needed.
(Barrel quality)2 +(action quality)1.5 + (trigger quality)1.6 + (stock)2.3 x weight = LR accuracy.

For MOST people WEIGHT will be the #1 contributor to LR accuracy. Shooting a 9lb 300 WM even with a hog of a brake won't be something you wanna do all day on steel. It will also be unforgiving for LR accuracy.

There is a reason that many target venues require a certain MAXIMUM weight for a rig. That's because a 17lb gun will ALMOST ALWAYS outshoot a 7lb rig.

Yes there are exceptions to every rule but smart money isn't to play the lottery, its to play the house odds.

I've got a sendero II in 300 rum, and I am always suprised how light it is. But it also only has a box through it. Bought it with the intention of rebuilding.
Those titanium actions are not cheap. Iv heard great things about pierce actions. But full package your looking at 1500 plus and 3 months out
Not sure how much equipment you have, or skill level. But consider a savage 116 lightweight and start from there. Pickup up a model 16 and was suprised out light it was. Even heard a rumor that you can call savage and order a just the action.

I'm a bit confused by this post. What is the PRIMARY purpose? Will the rifle be braked? If not, I can't imagine much less pleasant than a titanium/carbon 300WM for banging steel. I'd only build such a beast if I required a backpacking rifle for rough territory that still hit hard. And even then, really light guns are more difficult to shoot well at long range, despite what inherent accuracy the rifle may have. And if I wanted to bang steel I'd likely leave that rifle at home, or put it back in the case after just a few shots.

At 9lbs, couldn't you get there with more conventional (and cheaper) materials?

I've got a Sendero in 300WM. It's hardly a light gun. But it is stable for long range shooting and I've backpacked it 10 miles into wilderness areas. Still, if I want to bang steel with it, I have to throw a towel over my shoulder or I'm going to be bruised the next day.

Now, braking it changes the equation.

The rifle will be used for hunting primarily. If you want to hunt with it, you need to practice with it and steel happens to be pretty fun to shoot. My definition of shooting steel isn't shooting a hundred rounds in an afternoon. The rifle will have a break. My brother's 300 WSM weighs 7lbs 8oz with no break. It's really not that bad to shoot off a bench, although it does give you a little pop. He is shooting 168 grain bullets. I will be using 215s, which will amp things up a bit, but mine will likely be heavier and have a break.

How much does your Sendero weigh?

I will probably carry the rifle for at least an average of 50 miles though the mountains before I get an opportunity to use it on an animal. Walking 10-15 miles a day is not uncommon.

I just had SAC build me a 7mm SAUM on a Remington action using a Proof 24 inch barrel and a Manners EH1 stock with a break. Absolute perfect set up for long range plinking and hunting. Really light with minimal recoil. The best set up I have ever built and I have built a lot of them.

Just had a 243ai done the same way except on a Stiller action and m wife took it!!:(

T

How much does your Sendero weigh?

I had never weighed any of my rifles until you asked:

Factory Sendero, bedded, 300WM, Burris XTR II - 11.4 lbs
Savage built with 243AI 24" heavy sportier, NIkon Tactical scope, McMilan A3 Sporter stock - 11.0 lbs
Savage built with 358 WSM wildcat 24" heavy sporter, Bushnell tactical scope, Boyds laminate - 10.2 lbs

The reason my Sendero compares favorably to the 243AI despite the much heavier barrel is the stock. If you use a light stock and a lighter scope, I think you could get to 9 lbs without the expensive action and carbon barrel. That said I haven't done it.

Personally, if I intended to shoot game at long range, I would not aim for such a light gun as it would be too difficult for me to shoot accurately at distance. This is why all of my guns weigh 10+ lbs. I'd rather take the weight out of my pack elsewhere. YMMV.

I had never weighed any of my rifles until you asked:

Factory Sendero, bedded, 300WM, Burris XTR II - 11.4 lbs
Savage built with 243AI 24" heavy sportier, NIkon Tactical scope, McMilan A3 Sporter stock - 11.0 lbs
Savage built with 358 WSM wildcat 24" heavy sporter, Bushnell tactical scope, Boyds laminate - 10.2 lbs

The reason my Sendero compares favorably to the 243AI despite the much heavier barrel is the stock. If you use a light stock and a lighter scope, I think you could get to 9 lbs without the expensive action and carbon barrel. That said I haven't done it.

Personally, if I intended to shoot game at long range, I would not aim for such a light gun as it would be too difficult for me to shoot accurately at distance. This is why all of my guns weigh 10+ lbs. I'd rather take the weight out of my pack elsewhere. YMMV.
My Edge and 7SAUM barrels weigh more than your whole rig lol. Yeah I hunt outa the truck.

There is a great thread on Rokslide about a 300 ultra that weighs 9lbs all in.

The 300 Project

WRO,

Thanks for the thread. I checked it out. Very interesting and a nice rifle.

Seems in the end, it ending up being only a 3/4 MOA rifle with a longest kill on a mule deer at 470. That is doable in in the stock sporter realm. That's a lot of money and work for a rifle like that.

Maybe OP here should read that thread......

I have a 300 Rum Sendero took off the HS stock fitted a B C Medalist sporter stock DE 3 port break and a 5.5-22x50 NF weighs 10.5 LB .

Like most --- Senderos it shoots great.

And a can of soft drink weighs close to a pound.........

Just to clarify, I don't know the guy from the rokslide link, but I just read all ten pages.

Granted the groups shown were three shot groups, up before incorrect info is put out there...That rifle is a sub half MOA rifle, and had 12 kills from 40-950 yards documented.

He does state that the rifle is not easy to shoot. Not because of recoil, but because his form has to be perfect and he must pull the rifle back into his shoulder more than he is used to. I think those are excellent points to be made for any lightweight rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.