Lightweight Rifle Build - Carbon and Titanium

My Edge and 7SAUM barrels weigh more than your whole rig lol. Yeah I hunt outa the truck.

Ha, yes, well I still get funny looks from the locals humping the Sendero back into the Bob Marshall.

I'm building a 338 Edge now, I bet it comes in at 12.X lbs.

Interest link to that guy's 8lb RUM. Curious if a steel action and 26" lighter contour barrel couldn't still keep it to 9 lbs. That would be a lot of money for little weight savings to me, but few of us "need" any of the gear we drool over so spend it how you want!

What is the difference in shoot-ability going from an 11 pound gun to a 9 pound gun? The gun will be a .300 win mag shooting 215 bergers with around 77 grains of H1000 at around 3000 fps. People always say that a heavier gun is easier to shoot, but I can't imagine that it would make too much of a difference with this relatively small weight variation. A 9lb gun still isn't a feather by any means.

What would be the difference between recoil in the two guns? A 300 win mag with a break at 11 pounds hardly recoils. Would that jump significantly if you were to shave 2 pounds off the gun? I've have also shot a 300 wsm shooting 168 grain bullets which weighed in at 7.5 pounds and the recoil was manageable - it did give you a decent pop. From what I've seen on online recoil calculators, the 9lb 300 shooting a 215 grain bullet will recoil more than the 7.5 pound gun shooting 168 grain bullets. It's hard to translate the values the calculator spits out to actual felt recoil though.

Thanks!

What is the difference in shoot-ability going from an 11 pound gun to a 9 pound gun? The gun will be a .300 win mag shooting 215 bergers with around 77 grains of H1000 at around 3000 fps. People always say that a heavier gun is easier to shoot, but I can't imagine that it would make too much of a difference with this relatively small weight variation. A 9lb gun still isn't a feather by any means.

What would be the difference between recoil in the two guns? A 300 win mag with a break at 11 pounds hardly recoils. Would that jump significantly if you were to shave 2 pounds off the gun? I've have also shot a 300 wsm shooting 168 grain bullets which weighed in at 7.5 pounds and the recoil was manageable - it did give you a decent pop. From what I've seen on online recoil calculators, the 9lb 300 shooting a 215 grain bullet will recoil more than the 7.5 pound gun shooting 168 grain bullets. It's hard to translate the values the calculator spits out to actual felt recoil though.

Thanks!
Hard to quantify. There is recoil ENERGY and VELOCITY. Energy may be lower on the 7.5 and 168 but VELOCITY is what you FEEL for the most part and is definitely what makes a gun SHOOTABLE. A 50BMG is shootable because the recoil is SLOOOOOOOOOW.
Good calculators will show both figures and there are many theories on what recoil velocity and energy is shootable but stock design and other factors also matter.
Personally I cant shoot anything that kicks FAST. Recoil I can handle, fast recoil and I am shooting a pattern. You may be different, you may be able to shoot a gun like that. I can't and don't LIKE to regardless. Of course I hunt out of a truck and a 14.4lb Lapua is a lightweight rig, FOR ME.
Your mileage probably will vary.

WRO,

Thanks for the thread. I checked it out. Very interesting and a nice rifle.

Seems in the end, it ending up being only a 3/4 MOA rifle with a longest kill on a mule deer at 470. That is doable in in the stock sporter realm. That's a lot of money and work for a rifle like that.

Maybe OP here should read that thread......

I know he killed an elk at 940 with it and it was shooting pretty close to .5 MOA, which is pretty good for an ~8lb loaded 300 RUM.

Look into a vaise brake. I have a 11lb R700 7mag (loaded with bipod), and that brake is the only reason I still own the gun.

Before I put it on it, I couldn't shoot more than a couple of times before I would call it quits. Now it kicks significantly less than my DPMS LR308.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.